IGNORED

Electrical trouble shooting help

I need some help doing some electrical trouble shooting help on my Millenium.

Basically when I turn the ignition key nothing happens. I tested the continuity of the ignition switch wires according to Freebirds ignition switch post and the continuity shows good. Battery is good. Fuses i can find show good.

Any clues? Where can I download a wiring schematic?

Linked below are the redrawn schematics I did for the RSV.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42357

Did you check the main fuse? I think it's on left side near battery box.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

This should help a bunch. and No I have not found the main fuse yet. I know where the one is on my old 1st gen. I guess I will need a refresher course on the 2nd gens.

• 1 month later...

Well this happened to me today. My 09 and I just got off a 3300 mile trip. Ran fine and I never had a lick of problems starting. Bike sits 2 weeks in garage and now nothing. So I researched here and looked for some ideas. Well who would have thunk you had to pull a passenger floorboard to get at the main 30a fuse. So I finnaly got to it and it was caked like it had battery acid over flow or something on it. fuse was shorted open and no good. The connections for the battery looked rusty and corroded also. I mixed some baking soda and water and brushed on to remove what corrosion I could. Some dielectric greas on spades and put back together. Thats when the plastic outer ring thing that the 4 prong plug goes into broke off and now nothing holds it onto the starter relay assy. I didnt even know what it was until I looked it up on a parts fiche. I dont know if that whole thing is a part you would have to buy or you could get the part with the connectors. I slpiiped a tie wrap around the 4 prong and the relay to hold it together. Sure am glad this didnt happen on the road.

Did you know you can Lock the trunk when open and close your keys in it? Yea. Ok my 2 cents.

No way! I actually had to go check this one for myself as I almost did that once, never crossing my mind that it would actually lock without the key inserted.. Ya learn something new every day here.. Thanks!

Well this happened to me today. My 09 and I just got off a 3300 mile trip. Ran fine and I never had a lick of problems starting. Bike sits 2 weeks in garage and now nothing. So I researched here and looked for some ideas. Well who would have thunk you had to pull a passenger floorboard to get at the main 30a fuse. So I finnaly got to it and it was caked like it had battery acid over flow or something on it. fuse was shorted open and no good. The connections for the battery looked rusty and corroded also. I mixed some baking soda and water and brushed on to remove what corrosion I could. Some dielectric greas on spades and put back together. Thats when the plastic outer ring thing that the 4 prong plug goes into broke off and now nothing holds it onto the starter relay assy. I didnt even know what it was until I looked it up on a parts fiche. I dont know if that whole thing is a part you would have to buy or you could get the part with the connectors. I slpiiped a tie wrap around the 4 prong and the relay to hold it together. Sure am glad this didnt happen on the road.

I have replaced the starter relay/main fuse assembly twice on my 07 RSV. Both times heavily corroded. The last time I applied dielectric grease liberally. I have know idea why it corrodes so badly. It is a bear to change due to its location. Below is a link to csdexter's fix.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79150&highlight=Starter+relay

rougeray: Thanks for the link. I havent looked it up yet. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to run across this. Seems where the unit hangs its condusive to collecting battery overflow and also probably alot of splash from the wheel.

I too applied the dielectric grease on the blades now but it dont help the fact that the plastic has seperated. The blades look pretty corroded and unfortunatly I didnt find a good way to clean other than scraping with a flat screw stick.

Two things I'd check out. #1 the rectifier, and make sure it's not allowing a voltage higher than about 14.2-3vdc when charging the battery, and #2 if the battery is a wet cell give Bohanon a call and install a DEKA AGM. From all the corrosion you're experiencing the battery is gassing or boiling over. Clean it all up, and it'll do it again on your next long trip....