IGNORED

Front tire size on Hannigan Trike 2010

wvbiker

Due a rear tire blow out on I64 in Indiana and then totaling our 07 RSV in the medium, I am the proud new owner of a '10 RSV w/Hannigan Trike kit. Here's my question, when we rode 2 wheels we dropped a size in the front tire to have better control (and liked it), should I do the same with the trike? :confused24:

I can't really say if the smaller tire would help a non-racked front end or not, cause both of my trikes had the raked trees. Haven't ever heard of anyone using the smaller tire on a trike either.

Different type of steering entirely anyhow with a trike over two wheels

.Larry

Some trike owners install a rear tire on the front of there trike and reverse the rotation. they say the tire will last a lot longer then the standard front tire. I run a standard front tire on my Motortrike with no problem, but I don't have a raked front end. I would say that with a raked front end it won't make much of a difference if you install a narrower tire. If it works, leave it alone.

Remember your front tire will not roll/lean anymore it will slide/scrape side to side.

I just added a rear 150/80/16 Michelin Commander II to the font of my trike.

in the reverse direction. so far its turning really nice and I am hoping to get

many miles out of it. the last Rear/Front I had was a Dunlap 404, it sucked.:eek:

I would think a narrow front tire would wear out in no time.

If I could fit a Car tire on the front I would in a flash then the

Triker could possible go about 30 or 40 K with the same tires :D

Good luck on what you decide.

Keep us in the loop !

Jeff

I run a Metz on the front, regular front tire, rubber is harder, got 26K out of the last one, and still had some left. The steering will come from either easy steer, or the rake that is on the front. You might also put 1 and a half risers on and it will help you steer your trike, it did for me. You are not pushing down on the bars.

Ken:backinmyday:

Ken, My steering is pretty good , but I have been thinking about doing the riser

thing as a winter project one year. did you have to replace any cables? And

what riser or part number did you get? was the project a pain in the butt?

Thanks,

Jeff

Not with the 1 and a half inch riser, I think you might have to if you use the 2 inch. Might check with some others and see what they did. Does not take long to do, maybe 10 mins. and includes getting the tools out.

Ken, Would you happen to have a link or a photo what kind

you installed? what was the cost of them?

I have a couple sets I have had over the years but not sure if

they will work on my trike or not? not even sure what they go

to anymore :scratchchin:

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I wish I could remember, it has been so long ago that I put them on. Maybe someone else can help you. I'll check my records today and see if I still have paper work on them. I don't think you want to go any bigger than one and a half inch riser. I think if you do you are going to have to change cables.

Jeff, I recently installed the Barons risers on mine using the stock cables with no real problem. However, if you turn the handlebars hard right and twist the throttle, it sticks until you turn the handlebars. Also, the bars will hit the ignition cover doing a hard turn. In actual driving there was no issue though so far. I do have longer cables for when I put the flanders bars on with the risers.

Geez, you were long gone before I had a chance to introduce myself at the IR...

Jeff,

I'm sorry that I could not remember Baron Risers, but they are also the ones that I used. And, they do hit the ignition switch when you make a sharp turn (not when riding) when you are trying to move your bike around in the garage, or in a parking space. It never bothered me. It did help my shoulders when riding.