IGNORED

Motorcyclist Struck by lighting near Grandfather Mountain

etcswjoe

Not really caring for riding in the rain more less thunderstorms if you're going to stop find a bridge or viaduct to get under, NOT A TREE! Lee Travino was struck TWICE while taking shelter under a tree on a golf course.

It is dangerous riding a bike when it is lightning. I have read where bikers were struck by lightning while riding their bike. I think if I was in a storm and it was lightning I would take my chances riding rather than getting under a tree.

Was riding into Winslow AZ from the south and ran into a small storm throwing lightning out. Lightning was hitting about 3-4 miles off and storm was parallel to the highway. Nothing out there, and I do mean nothing. I was totally out in the open. All I could do was keep riding. Probably one of the most worrisome times I've ever had.

I don't mind rain but lightning is a whole different beast. Just because it is not shooting lightning right over you doesn't mean diddly doo. A storm can toss lightning many miles away from it. If they are in the area and I can get inside I do so.

Was riding into Winslow AZ from the south and ran into a small storm throwing lightning out. Lightning was hitting about 3-4 miles off and storm was parallel to the highway. Nothing out there, and I do mean nothing. I was totally out in the open. All I could do was keep riding. Probably one of the most worrisome times I've ever had.

I don't mind rain but lightning is a whole different beast. Just because it is not shooting lightning right over you doesn't mean diddly doo. A storm can toss lightning many miles away from it. If they are in the area and I can get inside I do so.

Just have to ask....please forgive me....

Did you see a girl in a flat bed Ford slowing down to take a look at you???

Take it easy.

:big-grin-emoticon:

What supposedly makes a car safe is that it works as a Faraday cage, you are surrounded by metal not just the roof. Many people have been injured by lightning strikes in cars and trucks , it will blow out windows. . .

It's bad luck or no luck. People are injured while in a house, building . . . You are best to seek shelter under a metal structure

My RSV came with the lightning rods from the factory, no idea why the out both on the trunk.. Shouldn't one be near the front to better protect the operator (Me). :shock3:

Must be pretty common because the one on the left has some kind of black rod mending patch on it about the middle. And it has wires that go into the grounding block under the trunk. :stickinouttounge:

My RSV came with the lightning rods from the factory, no idea why the out both on the trunk.. Shouldn't one be near the front to better protect the operator (Me). :shock3:

Must be pretty common because the one on the left has some kind of black rod mending patch on it about the middle. And it has wires that go into the grounding block under the trunk. :stickinouttounge:

that grasshopper allows you to speak to the venture gods , sometimes the gold wing folks and on a very rare occasion a harley guy ( riding a bike that looks like a venture)

I had three of my members stuck by lightening while riding in the Catskill mountains in New York three years ago and believe me when I say you don't want to risk it. The worst of the three was dead for almost five minutes and has had to have many surgeries because his nervous system was fried. NEVER STOP OUT IN THE OPEN OR NEAR TREES! find a gas station, bridge overpass, or anyplace you can get inside. Keep riding slowly until you are in a safe place, the ground carried the charge almost 75 yards to where they were standing when they were hit.

I was riding around Indianapolis several years ago and a nasty storm came up. I took shelter under an overpass, rain was blowing so hard I would have got wet if I hadn't had my rain suit on. BUT lightning hit a lamp post on top the overpass close to where I was. Did not injure me but I was glad I had another pair of underwear with me.

Been caught out in storms several times in the last 50 years and it's never fun.

BOO

• 2 weeks later...

An acquaintance of mine had just returned home following a hunting trip. It was raining slightly. He stood beneath a tree in the yard to relieve himself. Lightning hit the tree and knocked him about 6 feet, but no serious injuries. He thought that the shells in his hunting vest had exploded!