IGNORED

front end wobble

My Venture and I are new friends and the more time we spend together the more I seem to notice THINGS. If I sit on the bike holding it centered and quickly shake the bars left to right then stop stop my motion the front end seems to wiggle back and forth on its own a bit. I don't notice any wobble when riding. My Road Star doesn't do this.

I stopped at the dealer, and was told that the antennas were causing it, it was normal. Am I paranoid? Is this normal?

Mine does it also, but it was more so when I was running a CT on the rear, this was caused by the soft side walls. Check you air pressure in your tire, are you running a CT? Your dealer is a Moron!!

My Venture and I are new friends and the more time we spend together the more I seem to notice THINGS. If I sit on the bike holding it centered and quickly shake the bars left to right then stop stop my motion the front end seems to wiggle back and forth on its own a bit. I don't notice any wobble when riding. My Road Star doesn't do this.

I stopped at the dealer, and was told that the antennas were causing it, it was normal. Am I paranoid? Is this normal?

Mine does it also, but it was more so when I was running a CT on the rear, this was caused by the soft side walls. Check you air pressure in your tire, are you running a CT? Your dealer is a Moron!!

I've owned this a month now, purchased with 17k miles, I've put 3k miles on it and the Dunlop D404s. Pressures are 40 psi front and rear, I ride alone 95% of the time. I'll need new tires soon. Thinking of the Elite IIIs.

I stopped at the dealer because the PO told me that the warrantee ended the end of this month. Wrong! I have anything I can't handle done at an independant shop. Thanks for your response.

I would NEVER take my bike to a place that tries to convince me its the antenna and that its normal?? Really? What's next, the cassette player is the reason why the bike has 0.9 gal on its reserve? Wow...

As for the PSI... I also run 40/40 as per suggestion from these fine folks and have had better overall handling. I am sure someone can come up with a few ideas for your original problem. Your added issue is to find a new shop...

My Venture and I are new friends and the more time we spend together the more I seem to notice THINGS. If I sit on the bike holding it centered and quickly shake the bars left to right then stop stop my motion the front end seems to wiggle back and forth on its own a bit. I don't notice any wobble when riding. My Road Star doesn't do this. I stopped at the dealer, and was told that the antennas were causing it, it was normal. Am I paranoid? Is this normal?

Must be some heavy duty heavy weight antennas on that bike to be able to do that! impressive..

however, if you have the means to raise the front of the bike off the ground, you may want to check your neck bearings in addition to the recommendations of the other responders. (if you don't know what to check for, you will be checking for any clicking / clunking in the neck as you pull forward and backwards on the tire, if it clunks, it's loose and needs tightening. There are several write ups in the tech library how to check all of this and the fixes etc)

If such is the case, the quick fix is simple, the big fix is more involved.. but still easily done at home..

Best of luck.

If you were hitting flying monkeys with the antennas, then maybe.

Spray WD40 on the antennas and move on to another dealer.

Edit: re read you post. This happens at stop, like in the carport. Yeah, neck bearing loose?

Else, fold the antennas down and try again. (They have a sleeve you can loosen to drop them for covers.)

Edited by Mike G in SC

Well taking the dealers answer into consideration I believe it may be caused by those small ball located at the top of the antennas. What may be happening is because the weight of the balls and the length of the antennas they tend to start a pendulum motion and that transmits down the antenna and to the bike causing the bike to sway accordingly much like a metronome does.

:rotf:

Mind you ,......I have a first gen.....

I replaced the neck bearings, (progressives...although that doesn't really relate) and put a Condor super brace on as well. Everything is tight and shipshape.

BUT.....when I'm stopped and give the bars a shake back and forth, I get the same kind of "Echo" shake.

The members here just re-assured me that because we are talking about 2 tubes about 3 ft long with a joint in the middle, the front end WILL have a bit of flex or twist movement and it is normal.

It rides just fine ....so no problem!