IGNORED

Occasional "Whining/Whirring" noise?

Dadoffive

So...I just picked up a beautiful 1984 Venture Royale with 43,000 miles.

I drove it home form the seller...about 55 miles...with no issues.

The next morning on my way to work...at about 30 mph...a fairly loud "whirring/whining" sound started abruptly at the front of the bike. I slowed down and pulled over at a gas station...as I slowed down, the sound lowered in pitch...and went away at about 5 mph. I shut the bike off...checked the front end out...then got back on the bike again. I drove the rest of the way to work, and back home...no problems. (About 20 miles)

Well...last night I took my wife out for a nice long ride...sure enough...it happened 5-6 times on our ride! (Not the best first impression) I thought it might be the speedometer cable...so I greased that up this morning and headed off to work. It did it again in just a few minutes! Again I stopped...it went away...and I continued to work. It did not happen again. (yet!)

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Without actually hearing it I cannot say for sure but keep in mind these bikes do have a whine which comes from the stator at certain RPM's under certain Electrical loads, which is quite normal. There is also the clutch whine, also quite normal, that comes and goes, some even worry when they don't hear it. Have someone in your area that is very familiar with the venture have a listen. he will be able to tell you for sure.

Edited by saddlebum

Are your weather temps fairly warm? and does it only happen after you've been running the bike for a while? Ill bet youre hearing your fan come on. Try putting your kickstand down to kill the engine, then listen for the fan.

Brian

Low 80's (F) this morning...happened within 1 mile of my house.

Thinking I need to look at the gear down at the wheel...and also heed the suggestion of looking at the bushing at the back of the speedometer itself. I appreciate all the wisdom thus far!!

When the speedometer starts it's wailing due to a lack of lubrication in the speedometer head, it can be very loud and high pitched, some/most characterize the sound as a squeal that rises and falls in tone based on ground speed.

One way to diagnose:

1. Disconnect the speedometer cable at the speedometer. If the noise ceases, then it points to a dry speedometer bushing.

2. Remove the inner drive cable from the speedometer cable assembly. If the noise ceases, it is the inner cable or perhaps a dry cable sleeve.

That speedometer noise usually only happens when it is cold. I had the exact same type of noise on my 83. I lubed the cable, the gear on the wheel, and it still was not fixed. Last winter I had mike bike disassembled and I removed the speedometer from the cluster and lubed the bushing inside the speedo assy.., problem gone! There is an article in the first gen library on this site that tells you how to do this properly. My guess is that you will need to lube the bushing in the speedo. Not hard to do, it just takes a little time.

p.s., now that you own one of the best bikes in the world,....contribute 12 bucks to this site. You'll need all the info and it will be worth it.

Oh yea.....I am not in any way, shape, or form, affiliated with the management of this site, JUST A FAN OF IT!

I will look for the article as you suggested...

I also just sent in my $12.00!

I have already gotten my investment back...in all the great help from many different people!

Thanks again to all of you...I will post the end result soon!

Whining from the front of the bike = speedo. Lube it.

Whining from the engine is usually from the DOHC. It is a design feature although keeping my bike in sync seems to have a positive effect.

Whining from the back of the bike, well, most riders report that divorce solves this problem. :witch_brew:

Whining from the front of the bike = speedo. Lube it.

Whining from the engine is usually from the DOHC. It is a design feature although keeping my bike in sync seems to have a positive effect.

Whining from the back of the bike, well, most riders report that divorce solves this problem. :witch_brew:

Divorce only helps when it's your wife, someone elses wife on the back and the problem can get worse. . . .

Thanks for all the advice!

Well...except for the stuff about "whining from the rear". I have been happily married, to the same woman, for 28 years...and 6 kids! (1 deceased...in case you are wondering about the dadoffive name) She enjoys riding and has never complained!! Yes...I am a lucky man!

Back to the "squeal"...it happened again this morning...so I pulled the freshly lubed speedo cable out...and rode to work. Noise gone! Will be picking up the parts to make the "grease fitting"...problem should be gone after that! Thanks for all of the great help!!! Hopefully I can return the favor some day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How the heck have I missed a grease fitting install on the speed. (and I thought I was paying attention)

I'm aware that speedo lubrication is needed or they croak. (the m.p.h. gauge, not the swim suit) But there is a grease fitting install possible?

John,

Wish I knew how to direct you to a specific site...but I am a bit new to this site.

It is not actually a part you would install...more of a "tool" to help lube the actual speedometer itself. Someone directed me to it in the "First Gen" section...now I can't remember how I found it.

Type this in your search...Speedo Bearing Fitting Group Buy.

this guy is making the same fitting that I saw how to make...and they look really nice! Simply detach the speedo cable from the back of the gauge...thread this cool fitting on...and hit it with a quick shot of grease from a grease gun. Noise gone! Speedometer safe!

Good luck...

And thanks again to whomever pointed me in this direction!!