IGNORED

Weird headset issue...

Hi...

I have looked all over the forum for this and I couldn't find anything.

I have an issue with my headsets. This started out last year sometime. I would take off down the road and everything worked fine with both headsets (mine and my wife's) on IC. After a bit of riding, we would start hearing engine noise in the headsets which varied with RPM. We never did anything about it at the time because we only used the headsets on longer rides.

Last Sunday, we headed up to Laconia and we put on the headsets. I half expected to hear the noise. This time it was different. I don't know if this is heat related or what.

Anyways, everything was working fine at the start of the ride. Then the IC started "cutting out". This was most prevalent when accelerating after a stop. At 50 MPH, if I completely got off the throttle, it would come back until I got back on it. Interestingly, if I went out onto a major highway and got going at 70 MPH, everything was ok the whole time we were at that speed.

Once we exited the highway, the problem would return as I mentioned above. Also, when we first observed the problem, my wife tapped me on the shoulder to pull over because she didn't know what was going on. We pulled over and talked about it for about 3-5 minutes. When we started back out again the problem was gone for about 5-10 miles then it came back. As described, cutting out at accelerating and cutting back in when I got off the throttle.

I have not wiggled any wires or anything like that yet.

Are there any ideas from the forum ?

Thanks in advance

On the venture the IC is not voice activated. It is always on. Just set the IC volume to a comfortable level. Once set the controler does not need to be in the IC position. It is always on. The mic will pick up and amplify engine and wind noise. A common problem causing intermittent operation is a faulty cable between the headset and bike.

Mike

Start with the obvious....it couldn't be that the increased rpm and speed caused enough wind and engine noise to activate one of the mikes....thereby "cutting out" the radio etc?

That only applies to our "antiquated" First Gens. The way I understand it, Yamaha took a technological step backward when designing the Second Gen. We have VOX. I think the "Mic-Mutes" are supposed to do what our First Gen's did from the factory. Progress?

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to address individually

Trader wrote:

Start with the obvious....it couldn't be that the increased rpm and speed caused enough wind and engine noise to activate one of the mikes....thereby "cutting out" the radio etc?

As I mentioned in my original post. The problem goes away out on the major highway at 70 mph.

MikeWa wrote:

On the venture the IC is not voice activated. It is always on. Just set the IC volume to a comfortable level. Once set the controler does not need to be in the IC position. It is always on. The mic will pick up and amplify engine and wind noise. A common problem causing intermittent operation is a faulty cable between the headset and bike.

See my 70 mph explanation above. And also, this happens in my headset and my wife's headset at the same time.

dacheedah wrote:

make sure the CB is switched off

It is. This is the first thing I checked. In the past, I have accidentally turned it on and the first thing I notice is the audio cutting out. But this happens on the speakers too. My problem now is on in the headsets.

Thanks

With the bike on Accessory... put on a head set and wiggle the cables. Try the drivers cable, then the passenger. Test with both helmets. Possible it is just your cord.

Another question.... does the music cut out too when playing the radio or ACC or just the intercom?

As suggested....check to see if your cb is turned on and at what squelch setting. This would affect music.

Thanks

XV1100SE wrote: With the bike on Accessory... put on a head set and wiggle the cables. Try the drivers cable, then the passenger. Test with both helmets. Possible it is just your cord.
I will check that. Though, I am not so sure that will prove anything since it happens on both headsets at the same time

Another question.... does the music cut out too when playing the radio or ACC or just the intercom?

The music cuts out if the headset is selected but does NOT cut out if the speakers have been selected.

As suggested....check to see if your cb is turned on and at what squelch setting. This would affect music.
Already answered above. The CB is turned off. I got caught by that before. If it were on, it would cut out the speakers too.

Thanks

I think a cable is suspect. Possibly under the fairing. The answer to the question "does the music cut out" and the answer was yes. So it kind of sounds like the connection is lost. Best guess would be the connector under the fairing. Some dielectric grease may be in order.

I think a cable is suspect. Possibly under the fairing. The answer to the question "does the music cut out" and the answer was yes. So it kind of sounds like the connection is lost. Best guess would be the connector under the fairing. Some dielectric grease may be in order.

+1 I agreee cables are the most likely culprit.

Mike

I had this problem and it was the connectors under the passenger seat. It was intermittent and only when the wife was with me. I was able to duplicate it and fixed it by putting dialectic grease on connectors and then taping the connection point with heat tape.