IGNORED

Hid headlight conversion

Anyone have a write up of what to do for the computer bypass for putting in a hid headlight?

I'm sure the headlight if self explanatory, but how do you trick the computer so it doesn't think the bulb is burnt out? I'm sure there is a post somewhere about it, but I couldn't find one.

There are some 55w HID lights out there. Would I need to bypass if I used one of these?

Thanks

Aaron

You don't need to, on the ballast one part of the harness should plug into your headlight plug, it relays the ballast so it thinks it's on. You grab a fused power and ground, plug in the light and drive. If you get a universal kit you may have two plugs for the hid bulb, just zip tie the unused one up, stick a little dielectric grease and ride. If U put in a 10 sec relay, grab the , I think it's blur, low lamp power + to trigger the relay.

Flyinfool (Jeff) has a great writeup on his HID installation and wiring, I know there are others that have done it but I bookmarked his thread for when I do mine. You can ask him questions, but right now he's on his way to Freebird's MD, probably on another gas break. :stickpoke:

Here's a link to his thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45603

-Andrew

do the upgrade, it is awesome

if you can work a solder iron, read the writeup and remove the instrument cluster, open it up solder the jumpers in reassemble, install three jumper wires in the relay behind the headlight and you are done. a straighforward sat morning job.