IGNORED

Cam timing marks

In the process of taking care of a coolant leak from the head gasket on my 01. Before pulling the head, I timed the engine to #1 TDC, and noted the marks for the rear cylinder bank cams, and assumed the front would be the same (first mistake). The marks are small hole on the cam lining up with thin line on the cam cap. Now I find that the manual shows a different timing mark for the forward cylinder bank exhaust cam. It says to line up the "big hole" on the cam with the timing mark, which the picture shows as a hole on the cam cap. There is no hole on the cam cap! The attached pic has red arrows pointing to what I think the timing should be, which is the same timing as for the other 3 cams. The crank is rotated ahead 70 degrees for #2 TDC for this pic. I consulted with a local dealer, and they think the exhaust cam large hole lines up with the oblong mark on the cam cap. Doesn't seem right to me as to why the timing should be different for the forward cylinder exhaust cam. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who's "been there".

Yes - the different hole sizes makes sense to distinguish between forward bank cams and rear bank cams. At least I'm not scratching my head on that one - the rear bank cams haven't been taken out - just the front.