IGNORED

Freebirds split the fairings tutorial were spot on, but come with questions anyway!

Barrycuda

Good afternoon everyone.

Today I took on a new adventure. For some of y'all this is easy but for me, who isn't mechanically inclined and get spooked reading about broken tabs and lost washers etc. So, bossman/ Larry shipped his shorter windshield to which I wanna say another THANKS. I read how easy he windshield is, but since I was feeling courageous, wanted to split the fairing to get to learn. I followed this link: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=494

Now I will post pics to those such as Miles who won't believe me, but also to ask people what is what. To my surprise no tabs we broken in the transaction. The shop when they required were asked to put die electric grease in the connectors. Upon inspection, they did just that. Nice to know I wasn't ripped off and they did the job.

Anyway... Some of the bolts had plastic washers, some metal,some none. I have a few questions and here they are

1- preferred material of washers for reinstall

2- is it beneficial to add some die electric grease or whatever is favored by the forum to the bolts on reinstall?

3 - was trying to remove the connector that plugs into the front speakers but was afraid of breaking it. Do I PUSH that tab in or pull that plastic tab out ?

4- if some tech guru would maybe explain what some of these wires, connectors are and the purpose?

5- any other tips? Things I need to do, add, etc

6- what's that big black box on top and its purpose?

Sadly I have been able to send only ONE lousy pic in the past, so I will try again. Be patient.

I really would appreciate any info, feedback and of course smarty pants remarks from the usual suspects...

Now I will post pics to those such as Miles who won't believe me, but also to ask people what is what.

Oh, Barry...oh, oh, oh...Brooklyn Bling Barry, you should not have taken that shot at me.

Now, I have to wish you :080402gudl_prv: in your attempt to get this bike all back together...and working.:rotf:

:backinmyday:

Oh, Barry...oh, oh, oh...Brooklyn Bling Barry, you should not have taken that shot at me.

Now, I have to wish you :080402gudl_prv: in your attempt to get this bike all back together...and working.:rotf:

:backinmyday:

Miles..:) I accept your West Coast challenge. I can say with certainty I shall have this bad girl back together no later than December 23rd of this year ha ha:rotf:

Hope all is well with you Miles...

The big, black box is your radio / intercom unit. You'll see a smaller box below it ... that is your cassette player ... the heart of the R.S.V. Dielectric grease is used to cover electrical connections so that they won't corrode and so that water can't get to them and short them out. Do not use it on regular nuts and bolts as it could allow them to vibrate loose. As to washers, it would be necessary to know which bolt / screw and/ or nut in particular. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than me will be along soon to help you with that part.

Andy

Oops .. forgot something. Those connectors are to connect various items to the electrical system - ignition switch, lights, audio, etc.

The big, black box is your radio / intercom unit. You'll see a smaller box below it ... that is your cassette player ... the heart of the R.S.V. Dielectric grease is used to cover electrical connections so that they won't corrode and so that water can't get to them and short them out. Do not use it on regular nuts and bolts as it could allow them to vibrate loose. As to washers, it would be necessary to know which bolt / screw and/ or nut in particular. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than me will be along soon to help you with that part.

Andy

Oops .. forgot something. Those connectors are to connect various items to the electrical system - ignition switch, lights, audio, etc.

Good info Andy, Thanks !! The washers I am referring to come from the 3 bolts on each side of the inside fairing

Those nylon washers are expensive. I got some that I think will fit for a dime a dozen, the OEM comes in somewhere around $3-$5 a piece. I am attaching a pdf file of the fairing parts, with parts list.

Thanks Gray Ghost for the PDF