IGNORED

Bike going into shop

My left front fork seal started leaking. I called the dealer nearest me in Springfield, Mo. They quoted me 5 hrs to do both forks @ 69.00 a hour for labor. Thought that was a fair price. I was think about having new springs put in they quoted me 200 dollars for the progressive springs is that fair price? My bike has right at 50,000 miles should I have them replace steering bearing also while they have it apart? I called F4 yesterday and left a message waiting for them to call me back. I need a new wind shield bad so thought this is a good time to have it replaced. Im dropping it off tues they are about a week out on service but that will give them time to order all parts. I should get bike back just before B2MomB2Dad's meet and eat.

John

I read on this forum a while back about using 35 mm film negatives to slide down the fork seals to clean them, as the culpret to them leaking was dirt holding the seal away from the surface, thus oil leaked. I am not telling you what to do, but a penney saved is a penney earned.

Bill

According to my reference Yamaha would pay 6 hours warranty time to do the job. Most shops mark up warranty time 50-100% for retail customers.

Their hourly rate seems reasonable too. If they're going to do it right it's a very good price.

They might be making a good profit on the progressive springs. Not much extra labor to drop them on a fork seal job.

Progressive Spring Kit 11-1144 $92.95 from the factory.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

They are taking advantage with the springs.

The balance of the work sounds about right.

Steering head bearing should be checked, relubed, and properly set. Shouldn't need replaced. I replaced mine at 100,000 miles just because I had it apart (putting Progressive spring in forks incidentally). They were still in decent shape.

RR

They're charging for the progressive job as if that were the only thing they were doing and starting from scratch. If you supplied the progressives they shouldn't be charging you a dime, and I've got the springs for around $70 bucks from Bike Bandit in the past.

Thanks guy's. I wasnt sure on the springs. I had checked progressive's site but wasnt sure if it was for one side or for pair. When I drop off my bike I will ask why their price is so high and go from there.

John