IGNORED

Need to move farther back on my Venture

JMefford

I just purchased a beautiful 2006 Black Cherry Venture. My only issue is that I am 6'3" tall with long legs and need a way to move "back" on the seat and off of the tank to get comfortable. Any of you tall Venture owners have suggestions for me regarding seat adjustment/remodeling or anything else I can do? Thanks!

Jerry,

Already good friends,,, but, officially, welcome to VR forums. Lot's of good stuff here.

Here's the link for the Russell Day Long.

http://www.day-long.com/

The one I had is a one piece for king/queen, not shown on their website. Looks kind of like a Goldwing seat. Top quality.

(I'll look for a photo and add it.)

They are only custom made for the rider. Like I said, I bought a used one from someone too tall,, like you. I could not use it, at all.

Turned it around and sold it to a 6'3" friend, Steve Anderjack SR, who is also on this forum (SANDERJACK).

You will see him in Hershey, if he brings it (wife not as fond of it) I'm sure you can try it.

Seems like the original owner paid $900 and change.

Hey Steve, want to sell it to Jerry?

Mike G.

Edited by Mike G in SC
Added pics.

Hi Jerry, I bought a black cherry 06 venture about a year and a half ago. I'm 6'1" and also felt that I was sliding forward on the seat. For a bargain price sent your rider seat to Rick Butler. He will sculpt it for your size and add memory foam. I got mine done and it helped a lot. Only downside is you won't be able to ride for a week or two, depending on how busy he is.

I'll bet other members will recommend the same.

Gary:lightbulb:

I am 6'4" and have a Corbin. It is an older Corbin and well used (could stand to be recovered). It is rock hard. It felt like it pushed me to far forward as well. But after about 10K miles I got used to it. I actually like it now. Sitting farther forward, I feel like I have more control of the bike. Look at the police bike seats. You are almost sitting half way up the tank on those bikes. They do it for better control and maneuvering. Not saying it is the most comfortable, but you get used to it. And trust me being the same height as you it was hard for me to find a bike in general that I was comfortable on. I tried a lot of bikes before moving to the Venture. Even some so called big Harleys. They were smaller all around than the Venture and I couldn't ride them. Anyway, the Corbin is nice, but as tall as you are, you will likely still feel like you are to far forward. Ride for a while and see if you get used to it.

That seat does sit higher than the stock and the longest ride I did was up to Deals Gap. I will probably have it on going to Hershey then change out when I ride two up. The hard saddle makes my wife slip when I am braking. (I guess I shouldn't brake so hard.) It took awhile to get use to it but I can ride all day and not feel like I am riding in a bucket like the stock seat.

You might also want to check out http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Spencer's only thing is making your existing seat more comfortable. I talked to a three guys, all with different bikes, and all of them were very happy with his work. I sent my seat on a Tuesday and I had it back the next Monday. He promises to turnaround every seat within two days, preferrably one. Most of the time is in the shipping. When the seat comes back it should look exactly the same as when you sent it but ride it for a couple of tanks of gas and what a difference.

Email him with your issue. He will get back to you with what he can do and how to proceed. Then you can decide if it is right for you.

My seat rebuild was $75 + shipping. $50 for the normal rebuild + $25 for some special padding material he uses.

Jerry,

I forgot to mention Mean City Cycles in Maiden, NC (just below Hickory).

They redo seats every day, all day.

You would want to talk to owner Alan, and if you go, insist he do the work.

I got my seat chopped down too much when trying to lower it.

They built it back up with a better foam and,, it's better again.

You can do a ride in appointment to get it done while you wait.

I don't know if a stock seat can be made to sit further back but that is who I would call.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Mike G

Jerry,

I can certainly help you out as much as possible with my seat modification.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3738&title=butt-butler-seat-mod&cat=25

But as far as going back any further, you are constrained by the back of the seat pan, which rests against the frame that the fender attaches to. The only way you can get back any further is to go up....which is what Russell Day Long will do with their seat (where they use your OEM seat pan to work from).

Your 06 should have pillow top seats, which is one of my favorite Venture seats to rework and really comes out nice. Then as far as your long legs go, a set of Kurykyn ISO pegs on the crash bars will certainly make a big difference. Call me and we can talk.

Let me know if I can help you,

Rick

I just purchased a beautiful 2006 Black Cherry Venture. My only issue is that I am 6'3" tall with long legs and need a way to move "back" on the seat and off of the tank to get comfortable. Any of you tall Venture owners have suggestions for me regarding seat adjustment/remodeling or anything else I can do? Thanks!

Here's my 2 cents... 120K on a RSV with 3 different seats and a lot of long days in the saddle with a 34" inseam... Standard midnight, Pillowtop, and a Corbin... Corbin sits you further back but it also lowers you just as much as it is lower so the difference with legroom over the standard is negligible... Your pillowtop is probably your best bet as far as legroom... Tho the difference is probably only an inch...

Your best bet is longer highway pegs like these.... http://images.leatherup.com/imagesproc/L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlLzQ5LTQ0NjdMbmdob3JuT2Zmc2V0RHVhbGx5LmpwZw==_H_SW700.jpg