IGNORED

Off topic Alternator issues

CaptainJoe

Had a hard starting 680H Case backhoe that had the starter rebuilt about 10 years ago.

This machine sits outside and only has 2-300 hrs. on it since the rebuild.

A couple of years ago started having problems with it and had to take it out and clean up to get it to turn over. attributed it to corrosion on end of starter where it bolts to motor . I'd clean it up put back and it would start....

Well... it did it again yesterday. I was working on the bulldozer, fabricating a ROPS for it, and needed to lift the bulldozer to get it leveled.

Now that really tee'd me off.

I tore the starter apart, it was very apparent what the problem was:

1. On the back side of the main power lugs, was a 1/8" thick piece of insulating material that fell apart. I cut out 5 pieces of gasket material and used form a gasket between each piece.

2. The smaller, bottom side posts were also loose. they were riveted on and the corrosion had eaten the top of the rivet off... I drilled out and inserted new longer rivets. Then drilled new rivets out just to get/obtain the shoulder which I used as a tiny washer on end or rivet. die-electric greased the rivets.

Put it back together and it starts like a champ now!

As the plate that the wire was soldiered to looked to be copper, am thinking an aluminum rivet probably isn't the best choice?

Dan, that's what I was thinking. It should last 5 or more years with that dielectric grease on it but copper rivets would have been better . Don't think it will get that hot.

Carl, fluid film? first I've heard of it... does it harden and provide a moisture barrier?

Check out some boating sources. There are corrosion problems using dissimilar metals. Especially ones in direct contact with each other. Salt water aggravates that of course. Boats- especially steel ones- use a grounding tab under the waterline which is intended to disintigrate before anything else. As I recall aluminum is not particularly robust in that regard.