IGNORED

Tire date codes

triplehooked

Hello all,

I wanted to share a recent experience that I feel is important to all of us riders, especially since it's nearing and/or is riding season for those of us in the northern areas of the US. For those (like me) who recently or are soon to be purchasing a used bike, we all hear about the importance of checking tire date codes on a used bike, especially of our beloved 1st gen. Ventures, here's a good example why: (Spoiler alert, no blow out)

I picked up a decent two owner standard Venture (83) with trailer for $1k. Not bad, right? :D It has a few quirks, but it also has a pretty meticulous maintenance record, including every oil change,tire change, and new part installed since new. Anyhow, after a quick go over I found that according to the tire mfg. code, the front tire (404) is 4 years old, with near full tread, but the rear (elite II) was... 9 years old... It was worn, but seemed even and was far from bald. My plan was to ride back and forth to work for a few weeks to decide if I liked the bike, and then replace the rear tire before the summer heat kicked in. I mean, the tire still had a third of tread left, no problem, right? :no-no-no: I noticed after a couple of days that I would get a slight hum at about 55mph that would go away at a slight lean, but no roughness or bouncing. I was thinking either wheel bearings or possibly low diff. fluid. Now that I had decided that I really like this bike I figured it was time to do some in depth inspection/maintenance to it. So I worked my way towards the rear of the bike... oil change, coolant flush, diaphram repair, linkage adj., etc... took the left bag off to access the diff. and saw that the rear tire had three or four "bubbles" close to golf ball size :eek:. Now I have been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years and would have never guessed that the tire was this bad. This is my first bagger style bike, and the air ride is pretty smooth, but I still felt kind of silly to not have noticed. I don't think it would have made it another 5 miles, yet alone a couple of weeks... Blow out averted. Anyways, I hope that folks reading this will heed the date code warning as more than a tire sales gimmick and not have happen what almost happened to me. I'll try to get pics up later today.

Ride safe,

Travis

It's good info for folks looking to get back into riding or doing it for the 1st time. I always look at the date codes on any new to me bike I get. Many of these Ventures have just been sitting and some of them not in a garage. Enjoy your new toy and I think you'll keep it for a while.

For what it's worth, I had bubbles develop in a front mounted Dunlop Elite that was less than 5 years old with plenty of tread.

POINT: Examine and check tires often, no matter the date code.

Whenever I walk up to the bike, or walk away, I always glance at the tires just to see what I can see, and several times during the season will get down on the ground and rotate the tires and run my hands over the surfaces checking for irregularities. I also monitor air pressures for any changes.

Needless to say, I won't ride on Dunlops anymore.... ever!

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88 XVZ

I just bought a 2002 Venture from a fellow who had owned it since 2004. He said he put the "new" Metzlers on it in 2004 when he bought it, I knew it would need tires, considered that in my offer. When I got it home and looked I found the tires were 2000 date code.... older than the bike!

New Avon Venoms on it now with a 2012 date code.