IGNORED

Don't turn on the fuel with the fuel pump removed.

etcswjoe

I did a very stupid thing yesterday, I bought a Tach Multimeter and wanted to check it out, I turned the fuel on and hit the starter button but it would not start and about the time I rememberd I had the fuel pump out is the same time I smelled the gas. :bang head:. About half a gallon of gas was on the pad beneath the bike and my garage still smells like gas.

Lesson learned, when you take out a part of the fuel system put a tag or something on the valve to remind you not to turn it on.

Glad to hear it's all ok and there wasn't a stray spark from trying to start it.

I've had to fan out raw gas fumes from spills in my garage (luckily not the one attached to my house) on a few occasions.

Since my wife and daughter also ride and may try to start a bike when I'm not around, I also make safety tags for the key switch when I have something apart.

Good luck with getting your bike back together. Weather is pretty nice these days.

When ever I am doing something "major" to the bike I take the key out of the ignition and pin it to a cork board I have in the garage, depending on what I am doing I sometimes put a note with it to remind me why the key is pinned to the board.

Ganted that would not stop me from turning the petcock on is a fuel line was disconected some whe down stream, but if my bike is in the garage with the petcock turned off, there is real good reason and just the idea of turning the petcock back to on wil normally be enough to make me question why it was off in the first place But tha is just me, other ideas work just as well for other folks, trick is to do something out of the ordinary to spark the memory cells back awake and keep you from doing serious damage that cannot be undone.