IGNORED

Air mixture screw heads stripped

Well I've had my bike about a month n a half now. It had sat for 5 or 6 years. Found this site early on n sure am glad I did. First the bike wouldn't move so I did a barnett clutch job. Then leaking fork seal. Fixed that with all the info on this site. #4 carb had little brass thing sticking into bowl. Found out the o ring in the jet body was bad-rebuilt carbs. Put in progressive springs to fix front end. Unstuck brake caliper pistons, new pads, n bled brake lines. Including the spot at the neck by the metering valve. (Thanks for all your help snaggletooth). Tried to synchronize carbs but they just won't stay even...especially after warm up. Finally got bike safe enough to ride. Does good while accelerating but when slowing n downshifting it backfires n belches n farts, etc. No 2nd gear slip though (fingers crossed). Then I find the dreaded Stripped heads on the air mixture screws. Actually on the #3 carb the po has a allen head plug in place of a screw. So the two Openings on the right are ok. If I had the correct air mixture screws I could screw them right in...unless the po broke the tips off the former ones by screwing them in to tight. Anyway, the two on the left, the heads are stripped. Anyone have any ideas how to get them boogers out?? Also, I guess I might need, oh I don't know, maybe four new air mixture screws. These messed up air mixture screws have to b why its not decelerating properly right? It surely couldn't Be my carb rebuild skills??? LOL. What little I rode her today shows the potential she has. I just wish she was running right. This is really the last thing I need to do before I would feel comfortable riding her every day like I plan. Getting the bike was great but it was almost worth it just to find this site and join it. Best $12 ever. Everyone i've met on here has been cool and most helpful. There is no way I could have done ALL that work without the info I was able to get off this site. Anyway, enuff #@*kissing. HAHAHA. Any help would be great and maybe someday I'll be able to pss it along to a newbie like me. Y'all have great one. Just to let y'all know, I've got rustbuster on them screws now. I'm hoping that'll do it but I can't hardly even get a bite on them so I don't think so. Thanx again:confused24:

Edited by johnnycruiser
wanted to thank someone and add additional info

I hate to say this John, but you may have a problem. I have had to replace carb bodies in the past as I couldn't get the screws out for nothing. I just had to do that on an '83 I'm working on right now. There is no easy way to get them out other than trying to drill them and install an easy out to try and remove them. Attempting to drill them with a small enough drill bit, while not damaging the threads is VERY challenging. I have tried on a couple occasions and failed every time, and I wrench for a living.

If you find that you absolutely can't get it out, I may have a spare carb body as I have a couple of broken apart sets here.

BTW, we are having a Houston Maintenance Day in Waller at Kregerdoodles on the 13 of April. If you can swing over, I know it's a haul, I think you might enjoy it.

Thanks snaggletooth. I got so wrapped up in describing all I have dne and my current problem that I forgot to post pics. I did get my bike up there for my avatar though. Important stuff first. Yuk yuk yuk. I've been all over these threads n found one where a guy was in my spot but never did say if the similar air mixture screws he had found worked or not. I don't know what will cross over into these carbs. If the rustbuster doesn't work I was thinking ez out but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea. There's a lot of people out there with ingenuity. Did I spell that right? :cool10:

Yea Squidley I've been reading about it. What sux is I planned my vacation before I got the bike. Now look! LOL. I could get her there n have you do the work FOR me. Hmmmm, how bad do I want to go to Illinois n pick up my boat??? Seriously though Snaggletooth n Bonzo both said I should get ahold of you. I was afraid I was going to hear that news. but on the bright side I know where to get a carb body now. If YOU couldn't get em out with an ez out I seriously doubt I will be able to. As you said the diameter of the head is so small. Thanx for the offer Sqidley. I'm gonna try n friend you. Is it like facebook?? Harharhar:15_8_211[1]:

Probably your best shot at drilling it out is if you have a friend that is a machinist and could mount it on an end mill machine, like a Bridgeport. You could keep it perfectly square and drill down like that. It's marginal at best as you have to use a small enough drill bit so not to damage the threads. It can be done, but LOTS of patience is involved and the absolute right equipment.

I'm afraid that probably leaves me out. But I'll check around. Might be easier just to get another carb body like you said. Thanx for the friend request, sure made it easy for this newbie to accept one instead of trying to figure out how to send a friend request! So you just transfer everything over to the other carb body? I was going to look for carbs on ebay but then I'd probably just end up with the same problem!

Nacho Altes had a stripped idle mix screw. He used a Dremel tool to carve away the carb body to allow a groove to be cut into the screw head and then used a straight screwdriver to finally get it out. I'll see if I can find his pictures of the operation.

Thanks prairiehammer. that would be great. It'll give me another option and a reason to go buy a dremel set. Been wanting one for a while anyway!:cool10:

get a few drill bits with left hand twist, you are reversing it out. Go small and then try an easy out, the drill bit will probably grab it as you are drilling. Try a hair dryer on the body of the carb to warm it up first, good luck

Edited by dacheedah

John,

Here are some pics of Nacho's carb surgery. Once the tunnel was opened up, he was able to cut a groove into the screw head and finally back it out. Be sure to blow all the swarf away before attempting to take the screw out.

P3301267.jpgP3301263.jpgP3291252-3.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

I have a set of carbs from an 84. They were left open to the elements and some parts are easy to get off, the slides haven't been. But, of there are any parts you still need through this adVenture, let me know.

John,

Here are some pics of Nacho's carb surgery. Once the tunnel was opened up, he was able to cut a groove into the screw head and finally back it out. Be sure to blow all the swarf away before attempting to take the screw out.

thanx for finding the pics for me. That looks like the right side carbs on my bike. I think somebody did the same thing. If i knew how to put a pic here, I would show y'all n the screw n plug I took out. I guess it was too much for em cause they left the left side alone! That's the side with stuck ones. But on the right side, I took the screw (correct screw??, I don't know) out of the #4 carb n tried it in the #3 carb. The threads on the plug I took out of the #3 carb is coarse n the plug is bigger than the screw from the #4 carb. The screw has fine threads. I probably won't b able to find a screw that will fit that #3 carb now. Guess that's why they put a plug in it. I wanna put a plug in whomever did this to my baby. Lmao

well i have the old carb bodies from the set i replaced with master guns carbs, i can send you pics of the ones that are still good and if they help you you can have em for shipping

Man that would be awsome. You guys on this site are the best. This is pretty much the last thing I need to do b4 I can REALLY ride:Venture: Squidley said he might have some too. PLEASE send pics n thank you very much for the offer. Here's some pics (I hope anyway) of what i'm dealing with

I have a set of carbs from an 84. They were left open to the elements and some parts are easy to get off, the slides haven't been. But, of there are any parts you still need through this adVenture, let me know.

Thanks alot. I need all the help I can get. LOL:confused24: