IGNORED

REmoving an 89 Engine..Installing a 91 Engine

I've been told the following: "The ignition system changed in '90. Starting in '90 it used a computerized ignition with a single pick up. You're either going to have to use the pick ups from the 89 or use the 91 ignition module and make some adjustments to the wiring harness. "

I have a m/c mechanic friends that will help me and let me use his shop. What I'm tring to get a hole of is what does the engine ignition module looks like, where it is at and which is better to use? To use the pick up of the 89 or the 91 computerized ignition module and what specific wiring harness change is required.

Has anyone done this before?

I want to know all that is involved before engaging on this project.

The ignition module is a black box approx 4"x4"x1" thick mounted ahead of the battery. Normally challenging to get to, but should be easy with the engine out.

I haven't looked at the diagrams, but the 91 module should have fewer wires going to the pick up coil. So you shouldn't have to run extra wire, but may have to move some around in the connectors. Not sure if the connectors are the same or not.

Easiest thing to do is probably to just transfer the pick up coils from the 89 into the 91 engine.

Myself, I would use the 91 unit, much better system.

Minnimal harness wiring changes. I can send you the connector you need for the harness side to be able to plug in pickup coil connector. All you should have to do is swap TCI and install new 2 pin connector in place of 6 pin that is on harness now. May have to swap a couple of wires at TCI harness, but I can give you needed changes.

Gary

Myself, I would use the 91 unit, much better system.

Minnimal harness wiring changes. I can send you the connector you need for the harness side to be able to plug in pickup coil connector. All you should have to do is swap TCI and install new 2 pin connector in place of 6 pin that is on harness now. May have to swap a couple of wires at TCI harness, but I can give you needed changes.

Gary

That would be great Gary. I'll send you a PM.

Being that my 89VR is 24 years old and probably could use a good once going through, this would be the right time for any and all maintenance.

i could use a list of recommendations: