IGNORED

Trike front tire

alwrmcusn

Before leaving for STAR days in July I will be replacing the front tire on my RSV Hannigan trike. I have several questions.

1. What are the actual differences in Bias ply and Radial ply? Is one better than the other on a trike? Why?

2. I've checked and find there are few tires that fit. I'm lead to believe that I should select a "rear" tire and mount it backwards. If I do that would I be better selecting a Bias or a Radial ply tire?

3. I'd be interested in any trikers specific opinions on the replacement tire.

Good questions and I for one would be interested to hear the responses as well. I do know that like you I'd have a rear tire mounted up front but from there it gets cloudy. On my 05 I used a bias Dunlop 404 mounted in the normal direction. That tire had about 10 k on it when the bike got totaled. At that time it was showing some cupping wear but still had decent thread. I had planned on replacing it during the winter.

Larry

I found a rear tire in the correct tire size for the front tire of my 1990 Goldwing Trike.I went to the rear tire on the front because it has a higher load rating aa wider cross section and puts more rubber on the road.My tire is a bias ply tire from Michelin a Pilot Active.It actually steers easier then the E3 that was there before which was a radial. No real conclutions here just my experience so far.The PA also seems to allow me to corner harder then the E3 and it is getting good wear so far.5000 mi and no real sign of wear yet.I didn't mount it backwards although some say to do that others have said it makes no difference,so I guess thats the camp I fell into.

Just an un-informed question, but why would you mount the tire backwards? Would that not cause the tread pattern to NOT shed rain water properly? :confused24:
The theory/reason for mounting rear tires backwards on the front has to do with the cord design. On the rear they are designed to resist the torque of the drive force on the tire whereas the design is opposite in the front where the torque developed on the front tire is from braking. One force is CW, the other CCW...

I have run and both, no noticeable difference. My first bias had 72,000 miles before replacemennt and it wasn't needed then in my opinion. I replaced it just because I had extra cash and wanted to spend it prior to the divorce attorneys digging their claws in.

The theory/reason for mounting rear tires backwards on the front has to do with the cord design. On the rear they are designed to resist the torque of the drive force on the tire whereas the design is opposite in the front where the torque developed on the front tire is from braking. One force is CW, the other CCW...

Do we not brake with the rear wheel??? :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::cool10::cool10::cool10:

I believe I'll have to answer my own questions :whistling:

1. Radial puts more tire surface on the road and runs cooler according to my internet research.

2. Theoretically the radial is therefore the better choice.

3. Opinions received...now I have to choose which I want to purchase. I sure wish I had a true automobile tire choice however.