IGNORED

Not getting fuel for 2009 RSTD

When cold my 2009 RSTD runs fine and purrs like a kitten. Once warm it does not get fuel....basically runs out of gas. Fuel flows from the tank and petcock perfectly. I changed the fuel filter. I have ruled out carbs because when it runs it runs great. I didn't think it would be the pump because I thought when a fuel pump was bad it was bad and that was it. Does the pump get "kind of bad"? Or does someone have some other ideas what might be wrong. Thanks

Could be an intermitent fuel pump that quits when it gets hot and works ok after it cools down.

If you were to run the carbs dry by shutting off the fuel petcock and running it until it dies, then open the petcock and turn the switch on would you hear the fuel pump clicking?

You should hear the fuel pump clicking when you turn the ignition on the first time in the morning or after it has set a while.

Yeah what Larry said, not uncommon in FL for mud daubers to get in and clog up vent lines, there is a vent line off of the filler neck, take it loose and see if you can blow air thru it.

Edited by M61A1MECH
Added note on vent line checking

Guest scarylarry

Stealer told me they never seen such, one mech. came out and ask can he take pictures he never heard or seen nothing like it...

That tank cost they said 1300.00... I wanted the old one back but Kaw said no they wanted to look at it...

I think it sounds like the majority is going with vent line. I have not looked as I have not had the tank off the RSV but my Kawi had the vent line attached up by the gas cap area. Could a fellow take low press say 10-12lb compressed air and pull the line at the tank and blow it out?

I was reading a thread somewhere along the line days back about an intermitant fuel pump. It would run for minutes sometimes and hour and then just stop. Cooled off for a few and away it went again. Due to the type of pump I think its a piston sort of thing drawn back and forth to create press. So if it gets out of tolerance and moves to much side to side it could get hung up.

Its a 2009, So its still under warranty for at least another year or so (2014) maybe more depending when it was first sold. 5 year warranty from the In service date. Yes the fuel pumps can work (fail)intermittently. If its the fuel pump you will definitely want that replaced under warranty.

Edited by RSTDdog