IGNORED

Another gun discussion.

dwatson636

I am looking at handguns. My only question is caliber. .380, 9mm, .45 or .40.

What are peoples preferences and why? I have done most of the other research. I have been looking at Glocks or Sigs. Just not sure which caliber and why.

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having taken a round in the front bumper chasing down a thief I was not impressed with the 9mm. But I'm sure it's ok I just like the way my .40 shoots and my .357 but thats just me. When supply recovers I think you will have better selection of rounds in 9mm .40, or .45. 9mm being the most economical to shoot.

guess in my opinion the best caliber is the one you can shoot safely and on target every time you pull the trigger. Not saying you have to hit bullseye every time bt it needs to be close enough to do what you want it to do.

Preferences are like a bunch of fruit. Everybody likes a different one and the best weapon is the one that you can shoot well and comfortable. if it hurts or you cant shoot it well it will get sold or reside in the safe.

David

At the risk of raising the ire of some members of this forum (or even of being shot!) I wonder why gun discussions are permitted on this Motorcycle Forum? In no way are guns motorcycle related. There must be other places to get this sort of advice. I am absolutely certain that there are many members of VentureRider.org who have strong opinions regarding the obsession of many in USA regarding the "Right to bear arms".

Here's my vote to the moderators to exclude guns as a topic for discussion.

Respectfully...

Big bullets let in a lot of air. On the street I almost always carry a .45, but on rare occasions I carry a .380 or .357 depending on where. I have 9s, but never carry them because for the size and weight I can have a .45...which of course, lets in a lot of air. In the woods I generally have a single action .357 or .44 mag.

That said, it all depends on what you can shoot comfortably and accurately. Some people think a .45 has a lot of recoil...but that's entirely subjective. #1 rule for a gunfight is: Bring a gun. The USMC rules for gunfighting apply even for those of us who are only USAF...

USMC Rules For Gun Fighting

• Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
  • Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
  • Only hits count. A close miss is still a miss.
  • If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.
  • Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.)
  • If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
  • In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.
  • They will only remember who lived.
  • If you are not shooting, you should be communic- ating, reloading, and running.
  • Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
  • Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.
  • Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
  • Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
  • Have a plan.
  • Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
  • Use cover and concealment as much as possible.
  • Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
  • Don't drop your guard.
  • Always tactically reload and threat scan 360 degrees.
  • Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
  • Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough.
  • The faster you finish the fight, the less shot up you will get.
  • Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  • Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
  • Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4".

I don't see anything wrong discussing everything here, as long as its clearly titled and civil.

If you see a title with something you don't want to discuss, then don't open it.

if we start down the intolerance road we will loose membership.

At the very least you will drive the discussions underground thru Pm's and the like.

Whatever happened to the motorcycle theme, whatever, whereever, live and let live?

This politically correct mentality is driving me nuts.

Besides, this thread is in no way leaning toward a political discussion on the right to bear arms.

Edited by CaptainJoe

"Another gun discussion" so the title is correct. Curiosity must have gotten to some and had to check it out anyways. We are friends and family and I personally respect this groups opinions and comments . So if I have questions or answers I will respectfully ask and give them.

Being a pro gun person and involvement in several groups such as IDPA competition and NRA safety officer, may I suggest a few sites to review? One is a Texas group with heavy legal support of persons in the NRA and other groups. It is the Texas CHL Forum obviously by the name strong in the discussions of Conceal Handgun License issues but also many other main topic threads covering selection and uses. My interest is in carrying while riding so it does have a topic of interest for those of us who do carry and ride.... ah at the same time.

As noted here though, like fruit which is your favorite. My standard is 9mm and 45acp for both carry and competition. Many flavors of each fruit too from the plastic guns in double stack to the ole favorite 1911. I use and carry both types in both flavors. My recommendation is finding a gun range where they rent and try out several and with someone who can give information of differences and reasons to help narrow your seleciton to fit your needs.

What are peoples preferences and why? I have done most of the other research. I have been looking at Glocks or Sigs. Just not sure which caliber and why.

Thanks

Dave

Dave...Alot depends on what you plan to do or use the gun for. Home protection, carry, or both or just target shooting. Which ever cal. you decide on, you need to practice with the gun on a regular basis. That being said, the 380 or 9mm would be cheaper to practice with. If I had only 1 handgun, I would problably choose the 9 mm as the smallest cal. that I would go with. The 40 cal is in the middle and has been gaining popularity for some years now. My suggestion to you is to go to a gun store with a shooting range and spend the money to shoot all the calibars several times and see which one you prefer. It also gives you a chance to shoot the gun you are looking at buying.

Alot of guys like the bigger calibars because they have more knockdown power in case of an emergancy. Being able to shoot the gun accurately is equally important.

And practice is not a once every two or three months deal.

Edited by BuckShot

At the risk of raising the ire of some members of this forum (or even of being shot!) I wonder why gun discussions are permitted on this Motorcycle Forum? In no way are guns motorcycle related. There must be other places to get this sort of advice. I am absolutely certain that there are many members of VentureRider.org who have strong opinions regarding the obsession of many in USA regarding the "Right to bear arms".

Respectfully...

Chris, I hope that civil discussions of this nature are allowed. Here's why I like to see this here.

These folks aren't "gun nuts". They are like minded motorcycle, ice cream, riding, and hot dog nuts. They also have a wealth of information on various other topics. Such as this one.

Although I haven't met a single one of these folks, yet, I have followed the board, been given help and advice, laughed till I cried, and so on. In short, I like it here and these folks seem like genuinely good, and smart, people. People I may want to ask about this and similar topics.

Thanks

Dave

D' I've had both a Sig P220 .45 and a Glock 22 and 23 .40. They're both issued firearms, the Sig had a history of double feeding the Glock hasn't. Plus the Glock is very low maintenance. The tell us not to oil them other than the barrel due to oil attracts dirt.

Typically our agency prefers the 40 Cal due to a mix of higher capacity compared to the .45 and more knock down than the 9 mm. They do recommend the 9 mm for shooters that have a difficulty qualifing with the .40

Like one of the other guys mentioned, I think the best caliper is the one your most comfortable with and can shoot accurately for personal protection. Hope this helps, j

Respectfully...

Chris....With respect for your concern, if this was a discussion on the right to bear arms or a discussion on weather we should be allowed to carry concelled legally with permit, I would have to agree with you. This is a discussion from a person wanting info on different calibars of handguns and is only asking what others prefer and why. Many VR.Org memebers are hunters and shooters and do so as a hobby, so I personally see nothing wrong with asking advice from other members. It also gives us something else that we have in common along with riding motorcycle's.

Find a dealer that not only has rental guns but also is someone who knows shooting techniques and practices. As you try each one write down a few notes of your impressions.

After you have tried out several different types of calibers and brands discuss with the dealer your likes and dislikes of each one. If it is a good dealer they will help you evaluate your needs, capabilities and observations and advise you on a gun that will be the best for you. I am lucky that I have such a dealer who led me away from a model and caliber I thought I could get by with and pointed me to what has become one of my most favorite weapons in a caliber I wasn't even thinking about. Oh, by the way the one he pointed me to was several hundred dollars less than the one I thought I wanted. Try them out, take notes and find a dealer that you can discuss it with before making your buy.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

I like my single stack S&W 4013 .40 It's not too large and packs a punch. The ported barrel makes follow up shots effortless.

As far as this topic goes, nobody makes you click on any thread topic, if it does not interest you don't open it. If many felt this way, a new forum could be started to discuss guns.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Respectfully...

Hmmmmmm.....seems to me, the taboo topic of guns always get the bad rap. We discuss opinions on all sorts of things, the most common being motorcycles of course. Sadly enough people also get hurt with them. Should they also be taboo for the sake of the general public safety? I cant help but wonder when our politically correct, you're ok I'm ok, anything that makes you feel good society is going to put the blame where it belongs ...... with the individual using or rather "mis-using " an inanimate object.

Oh by the way, I agree with the majority, get your hands on different calibers and sizes and choose one that fits the bill. Personally I carry any one of three - .380 , .40. Or. 38 special depending on the need for concealment, knocking around the farm or traveling down the highway.

Most ranges rent guns go and fire as many as you can you will know when you found the right one for me it is the Desert Eagle .44 Mag now if I only had that kind of money to get one. :thumbsup2:

That may be my next acquisition, except in 50AE.:mo money:

I have 22, 380, 9mm, 357, 40, 44, 45, handguns, I like them all, they each have their purpose.