luke000

What Type Of Helmet  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What Type Of Helmet

• Full Face Or Modular
    • 1/2 Or 3/4 Shell
    • None
    • MX Or Other

I wear the Shark Evoline. They say it is on the heavy side, but being that it is the 1st helmet in 27 years I have nothing to compare it to. It held up nicely in my accident. So I bought a another one. Plus I bought the matching blue tooth. It is the nicest modular helmet on the market.

On local romps I always use my German style 1/2 helmet with goggles. I find it to be comfortable & easy behind the windshield to hear the stereo. On long trip or highway trips I always use a full face modular. My feeling is at highway speeds a fall will take longer to end & I am liable to bounce on my face at a given point.

I've got 2 halfies, a Z1R Nomad and a new HJC Blade that I wore for the first time yesterday, also have an open-face Fulmer that has an intercom setup in it. Thanks to Playboy I'm golden with a helmetless i/c setup for my halfies too.

I have had an HJC IS-Max for about a year and a half which I am very happy with. I wear this helmet 7 hours per day 5 days per week 52 weeks per year plus a few hours on the weekends and find it very comfortable. It has a flip down sunshade and is Bluetooth ready, according to the manual, for a Chatterbox headset but I installed a Sena SMH 10 which fits just fine.

The helmet costs between $180 and $225, approximately depending on the retailer, which puts it in the lower to mid price range and seems to be a very good value. This helmet is meant for a round head which for me was not so good since I have an oval head. It only took a few minutes to shave a little of the foam on the forehead area to get a perfect fit. The other down side is the chin strap uses D-rings which are difficult to navigate with cold fingers so I added a clip converter. HJC has an excellent method of changing the face shield which can be done in minutes with no fuss.

There has been no opportunity yet to test how well it will slide on asphalt.

Edited by camos

In a state that does not have a helmet law, which I think that's plain bizarre, I wear a full face shoei R1100. I have the Troy Lee design of the court jester. Even though it can be grueling dring the summer, I feel my head is better sweating and still intact. I have a skull cap for bike events where the speed limit is down to a crawl. No extras. The wife has a zox which she seems to like. Heard the shoei is a bit heavy, I had only a HJC for a bit.

• 6 years later...

Full face before (started riding on dirt bikes) now my LS2 modular. Will only get ECE rated helmets or better.

DOT rating was an outdated and discarded version of ECE when they started using it, and hasn't really been updated.

I had a rock kicked up from a large truck break my first Street helmet off my head while riding on the JSP. Could have been lights out, but thanks to my helmet, still here.

JB

• 1 year later...

Worn full face, that saved my face once, 3/4, and settled for a year and a day on Police Style. Defined as White, 1/2 Helmet with zippered Neck Cover for the cool/cold, Vents and Vizor. And o, yes, clip converter always.
The only drawback with this Helmet style is pulling in behind a string of cars, and they all slow down coz they think I am a Cop. It's happened a few times. Make of Helmet appears to be DOT..cause that's all I can make out.

On 1/20/2013 at 9:53 PM, Wrench said:

I've got 2 halfies, a Z1R Nomad and a new HJC Blade that I wore for the first time yesterday, also have an open-face Fulmer that has an intercom setup in it. Thanks to Playboy I'm golden with a helmetless i/c setup for my halfies too.

Can you elaborate on the helmetless i/c?  I wear a halfie but I have these fabric pockets for the i/c headphone holders.  Not really happy with these in the hot / humid weather of Hosuton

• 9 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 9:54 AM, bpate4home said:

Can you elaborate on the helmetless i/c?  I wear a halfie but I have these fabric pockets for the i/c headphone holders.  Not really happy with these in the hot / humid weather of Hosuton

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350471381216?hash=item5199b8e0e0:g:VJ4AAMXQJRhRZZNU

We have a couple of these. Don't use them often, but they work well and would fit nicely under a half shell.

Thanks, That's awesome.  I have the Packtalk Bold because that's what our group uses.  I would love to be able to connect the bike comms to that with full integration and a headset like this. I just haven't found anything that says it will work. Even the Sena Freewire says it may work. I have a lot to think about since I only use the Packtalk for handfree phone and group rides. 

I have a Nolan N104  modular helmet. I prefer a modular as I wear glasses and I find it easier to get the helmet on and off and adjust the glasses as needed. I usually wear it without the face shield but  carry it with me in case I run into rain and need to put it on.

Rick F.