I figure since I have changed all the fluids, some more than once (I am replacing the 5wt fork oil with 10wt it feels too hanky)

I might as well change the oil in the final drive. SO...

What do I use (any preferred brand)

How much is in there

Is there any write up available

Thanks!

In the genuine Yammie took kit, there is a plastic dipstick....do you have it?? One end is used for the XS-750, 850, and 1100's for the middle gear unit, but it's not used on the Venture. The short end is used for all the shaft units. If you don't have it, I can measure the one that I have and get back to you. 80w-90 is called for, but I use synthetic in both my 83 and the 89 (Mk II's have a different unit). I don't remember how much exactly because I've never measured it. You just fill it to the proper level on the dipstick.

Frank

In the genuine Yammie took kit, there is a plastic dipstick....do you have it?? One end is used for the XS-750, 850, and 1100's for the middle gear unit, but it's not used on the Venture. The short end is used for all the shaft units. If you don't have it, I can measure the one that I have and get back to you. 80w-90 is called for, but I use synthetic in both my 83 and the 89 (Mk II's have a different unit). I don't remember how much exactly because I've never measured it. You just fill it to the proper level on the dipstick.

Frank

Unfortunately, Although my 84 only have just over 15K miles, I never got the took kit. I would appreciate the measurement & possibly a photo of the dipstick so I can reproduce it. I will definitely go synth.

Thanks for the help

Here is a site that's already measured the dipstick. Use the short end, and the lube should be between the 2 ridges. The low level is 27mm, and full is 25mm which is a touch less than an inch. However, make sure you can get the fill cap loose before you remove the drain plug. The housing is aluminum and the plug is steel and tend to be a bit hard to remove. Before you strip out the plug, you may have to tap the plug with a hammer or warm up the housing around the plug with a hot air gun or a propane torch.

http://www.xs1100.co.uk/dipstick.htm

The Yammie p/n is 2H7-2815A-00-00, but the online page at my local dealer says it's not available. If you take the p/n to your local dealer, they can search online and see which dealers still have it in stock. Then you can call one and get it shipped to you. Of course, it could be gone everywhere, they were used in a lot of bikes.

Frank

Bill,

Because yours is a MK II, you don't measure the shaft lube with a dipstick, we fill MK II's and 2nd Gens to the fill hole.

Frank

RE: final drive:

Ok..that was a royal messy PIA. :no-no-no: So do you fill it until it dribbles out the filler hole ? Even with a mirror I can not see up there. I filled it until it dribbled out and let it dribble until it stopped. Should I suck out a little more with my vacuum pump? I tried measuring the 6.7 oz but my hose contraption I used to fill it popped out and spilled it all over so I couldn't use the measurement. :confused24:

• 2 weeks later...

Randy,

The 83-85 shaft units are different from the 86 and later. Yours should only be filled to the line on the dipstick and it'll run a lot hotter if it's overfilled. The 86 and later you fill to the top. If you don't have the dipstick, the dimensions are posted earlier in this topic.

Frank