IGNORED

A new Lift Adapter for my Lift Adapter

Miles

Huh? What in the heck does that mean?

Okay, I bought a Carbon_One style of lift adapter from one of the forum members, and it works great. Then, I decided to make an adapter for my car lift, to use the bike lift adapter.

Yes...I do have a brand new bike lift. It works real good, but it only lifts the bike approximately 20" high. While it does allow the bike to be mobile while on the bike lift...I can wheel it around in the shop...it does not allow me to work at a good height.

So, as you can see by the pictures...I have used some 4" wide channel iron, cut to correct length, and drilled so I can bolt the channel iron to my car lift.

By removing the body lift pads from my car lift, I can then run the bike in between all the lift arms, install the Carbon_One style lift adapter, then install the new "Miles" style lift adapter, and by using my 9000 lb. car lift, the bright orange channel iron lift adapters make contact with the red Carbon_One style lift adapter, and I can raise the bike to any height to work on it.

[ATTACH]72794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72795[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72796[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72797[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72798[/ATTACH]

I can also use this new set-up with any of my bikes, but not using the Carbon_One style adapter, except for when lifting the RSMTD.

I can tell you, even at full height, the bike is as solid as New Hampshire Granite.

For you folks that have a car lift, this is very easy to make the two pieces of channel iron as an adapter.

BTW, if any of you riders from Washington State want this license plate for your bike, let me know.

[ATTACH]72799[/ATTACH]

I have ordered a new personalized plate. It will be my 39th personalized plate. All I have to do is sign the DOL paperwork, so that you can register this to your bike, if you want it...for free. You will have to pay DOL a small fee, but I am giving it away.

One suggestion.... like what you've done... but for safety, it would be a good idea if you find a way to secure the lift adapter to the channel iron. Either use tie down straps or make use of the slots for legs on the lift adapter to "connect" the lift adapter to the channel iron.

Could use a rod (or two) much the same way the lift adapter connects to the bike.

Good point, XS1100SE, and I had already decided that I would use bike tie-downs to secure the bike to the channel iron adapters. While the bike is very steady up there, I agree that it is wise to secure the bike...even moreso than securing the bike adapter to the car lift adapter. By securing the bike to the car lift, I will be securing the most weight at its' highest point to the largest list, the car list, that is bolted to the ground.

And, Eck...to avoid your bike or truck from hitting your garage door...close it. There are a few vehicles that when on my car lift, if I want the vehicle to go all the way up, I need to close my shop door, to allow for more head room.

Just saying:detective:

Think the bike to the lift adapter is solid. I've used the lift adapter with legs for a couple years when storing my RSV for the winter (sad to say, already done for this year). Securing the adapter to the channel iron should transfer the stability to the bike.

Could look at it as another point of failure but done well would be stable. Might be a pain in the butt to align each time you lift the bike but has the advantage of not putting tie downs in your way when moving around the bike. Also give you freedom to move the front wheel from side to side if necesary. Also... with tie downs you don't have to worry about forgetting or trying to take a short cut by not securing them.

Only takes once, not using a tie down or taking one off because it is in your way, because you think it will only take a few minutes to complete a job... thats when it comes down.

Just giving you food for thought.