IGNORED

Brake Pads. 2nd gen ??

GeorgeS

As to replacement brake pads for a 2nd gen. ( 08 ) . I am looking for any comments as to aftermarket brake pads, which brand, is the best quality to buy, in terms of " stopping power "

ie: What brand works the best !!!

Irregardless of the cost, Is there an agreement here as to the highest quality brake pads ?? :detective::detective:

Hey George,

The EBC HH Sintered Pads are #1 on the front of a Second Gen. in my book. I have been installing the EBC Kevlar pads on the rear of the First and Second Gens. for the last year or so for several reasons. They are excellent for Interstate 70 to 40 MPH "quick slow downs". Second, they don't "bite" into the rotor the way the stock or HH pads do, so locking up the rear brake is MUCH more difficult. (Disclaimer: if you JAM on the rear brake on most any motorcycle, you will be able to lock up the rear brake) Also, it takes a lot longer for brake fade to result. (Disclaimer: if you haven't changed your rear brake fluid in a few years, and it looks like maple syrup, Kevlar pads will NOT solve this problem)

Both the EBC HH pads and the Kevlar pads are under $50.00 per caliper, which I feel is reasonable considering this is what makes your bike STOP! I would also add that I have tried, and do not like the Kevlar pads on the Front of a First or Second Gen. bikes. Because most of the riding we do is of the 75 to 25 MPH range, these pads don't function quite as well in that lower MPH range. The Kevlar pads were designed to function in the 100 to 180 MPH range.

I keep the EBC HH and Kevlar pads in stock. Questions, need parts, PM me.

Earl

Per Earl's recommendation I've installed the Kevlar pads on the rear of my 07 and I have as yet not locked up the rear tire since in panic stops as I had done in the past. I did rotate or swap inside for outside pad on my last tire change they still wear faster on the outside side. Not sure of the mileage but somewhere over 6k still have a lot of pad left. My only complaint with them is a little more brake dust but I can wash it off cheaper than replacing rotor.

Hey George,

The EBC HH Sintered Pads are #1 on the front of a Second Gen. in my book. I have been installing the EBC Kevlar pads on the rear of the First and Second Gens. for the last year or so for several reasons. They are excellent for Interstate 70 to 40 MPH "quick slow downs". Second, they don't "bite" into the rotor the way the stock or HH pads do, so locking up the rear brake is MUCH more difficult. (Disclaimer: if you JAM on the rear brake on most any motorcycle, you will be able to lock up the rear brake) Also, it takes a lot longer for brake fade to result. (Disclaimer: if you haven't changed your rear brake fluid in a few years, and it looks like maple syrup, Kevlar pads will NOT solve this problem)

Both the EBC HH pads and the Kevlar pads are under $50.00 per caliper, which I feel is reasonable considering this is what makes your bike STOP! I would also add that I have tried, and do not like the Kevlar pads on the Front of a First or Second Gen. bikes. Because most of the riding we do is of the 75 to 25 MPH range, these pads don't function quite as well in that lower MPH range. The Kevlar pads were designed to function in the 100 to 180 MPH range.

I keep the EBC HH and Kevlar pads in stock. Questions, need parts, PM me.

Earl

I agree totally! Since I went back to the GG on the rear, the pads last longer, don't lock up as easily, and don't wear out the rotor as much. Most of the stopping is done with front brakes anyway. Got 24,000 miles out of last set of rear brake pads.