IGNORED

A relay does what ?

Guest DREBBIN

Guest DREBBIN

I'm hearing that some riders install a "relay" when they upgrade to other passing lamps -- what does a relay do? DREBBIN (the electrically challenged)

A relay is a high current device which can be activated by a low current switch. This permits one to run high current driving lights from the battery supply instead of through the toggle switch.good relays can pass 20 amps with only .03 amps to pull the coil. I have seen dash switches melt or work for a short time and quit from overload. Make sure to fuse the supply line.

A relay is a magnetic activated switch. The purpose of a relay is to power High load items while controlling them with a small normal size switch. For example starters use relays also known as solenoid when you activate your starter you power a coil which magnetically engages a large set of contacts to power the starter. The reason for installing a relay on passing lamps is to reduce the load on your headlight circuit.

Both good responses Frog Man & Redneck. I generally use the switch as a grounding switch whenever possible, thus have zero current going thru them. I've never had to replace a switch using that method.

The switch would be between the #85 post of the relay and ground in this situation.

Just my :2cents: here.

Larry

Guest DREBBIN

Ok - getting smarter. Now, I've orderd the Adjure passing lamps to go into my Yamaha passing lamp housings on the RSV. Will I be able to pick up a relay at an automotive store - or - yur suggestions? THNX MUCH -- DREBBIN

I used electric fuel pump relays with the connectors for the trailer wiring on my 1st gen. I thought the quality would be a little better than the headlight relays that are for fog lights.Went the easy way, and used the "block" of relays from Electical Connections, on my present mc.

I believe you can get the 30 amp relays from places like Auto Zone or Advance Auto for about three bucks.

Tim, that is a good idea about using relays to run trailer lights instead of running all the load thru the bike light system. I went with LED lights on my camper trailer, just to cut down on overall load.

RandyA

I'm hearing that some riders install a "relay" when they upgrade to other passing lamps -- what does a relay do? DREBBIN (the electrically challenged)

Something to think about when deciding how large of a relay to use.

If you are looking for a relay for passing lamps for instance. Take the total amount of Watts from each of the bulbs and divide it by the battery voltage being supplied, this will give you the amount of amps being use.

Example: 55W bulb X 2 = 110 Watts.

110 Watts divided 12 Volts = 9.16 Amps.

One other thing to consider when determining Amps used is how long of a run your wiring is and what gauge wire use.

I have added an attachment, a guide to use when choosing correct wire size.

David