IGNORED

Mosport Race Track

djh3

I may have the opertunity to go up to the Mosport Raceway for work next year. A buddy of mine have talked about riding up. As of yet we dont know what month but would asume mid summer. I live in central Fl and we would be starting our trip from Charlotte NC. Are there some good roads or routes someone might give me a heads up on. This is so far out right now I dont even know if we will have enough days to ride up and get back home before the next weeks work. But I'm hopin we can swing it.

• 5 months later...
I may have the opertunity to go up to the Mosport Raceway for work next year. A buddy of mine have talked about riding up. As of yet we dont know what month but would asume mid summer. I live in central Fl and we would be starting our trip from Charlotte NC. Are there some good roads or routes someone might give me a heads up on. This is so far out right now I dont even know if we will have enough days to ride up and get back home before the next weeks work. But I'm hopin we can swing it.

You have 2 choices. Ride up from Sebring to Ontario or ride to Sanford, FL, take the Amtrak Auto Train to Lorton, VA (Washington, DC) and then ride up to Ontario. I will be doing the train next month when I am riding to Montreal

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

My State Farm insurance card says right on it Canada and USA. You might want to check on medical coverage for out of the country too. Exchange currency at your bank before you get here. It's usually the best rate. Most places in Ontario will take US dollars but they will burn you on the exchange. M/C or Visa will work but they do charge the current exchange rate. I'm not sure if you can walk into a CDN bank and exchange currency without an account but you may be able too. There's lots of great back roads between NC and Ontario. I suggest you cross the border in up state NY on the east end of Lake Ontario somewhere to avoid going through Toronto. Not impossible but not fun on a bike.

As of now I have 2 guys riding with me possibly 3. I will meet them in Charlotte NC. Looking at 2 days up to where we are staying in Bowmanville Ont. Going up I 81 to bottom of fingerlakes region around lake Senica to Oswego then back over to I 81 to the boarder. Comming out we will have to make tracks. So fastest route looks to be over to Toronto/Buffalo and cross. I was told to use First street bridge (I think it was) crossing as it was less used and should be quicker. Spend a night somewhere around Tonawanda or something like that.

As of now I have 2 guys riding with me possibly 3. I will meet them in Charlotte NC. Looking at 2 days up to where we are staying in Bowmanville Ont. Going up I 81 to bottom of fingerlakes region around lake Senica to Oswego then back over to I 81 to the boarder. Comming out we will have to make tracks. So fastest route looks to be over to Toronto/Buffalo and cross. I was told to use First street bridge (I think it was) crossing as it was less used and should be quicker. Spend a night somewhere around Tonawanda or something like that.

You also have the option I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81 to Canada (1000 Islands), then Highway 401 west towards Bowmanville. You will avoid alot of traffic

• 1 month later...

OK working on the planning phase a little more. Crossing in Kingston Ont. So which way is a better ride? Kingston to Bowmanville on the 401 (it looks like interstate to me) and when we can drop down to the coast in a couple spots? Or Kingston up to Elgin to a Hwy 7 and down it to Bowmanville? Also like I said return will be go man go So from Toronto back into states I think someone suggested the Peace bridge or something like that. Is that the quickest place to cross? <iframe width=

when you cross into Canada, you should carry your passport, drivers licence. ownership and insurance. you will be asked to present your passport.

if you have some time to enjoy the ride over to Bowmanville, take hwy 2. very nice scenic road, open winding, well paved roads driving through small towns , Kingston, Cobourg, Newcastle and get a flavour. if you need to make time than pound it on 401

while you are here we can meet up and take in a couple of bike nights once you get settled in.

lots of nice one day or afternoon rides to do in this area.

when do you figure that you will be in town?

i live in Bowmanville right at 401 and the road you will be taking up to mosport

keep in touch

cheers, Scott

I recommend 1000 Islands Parkway along the St. Lawrence then old Hwy. 2 and generally just hug lake Ontario down to Bowmanville. If you have time there are 1000 Island boat cruises, Bolt Castle and Upper Canada Village is a nice stop if you have time to head a little east first.

I often ride #7 to Peterborough then jump on the highway from there (135)

Hwy 7 takes you thru every little town and is 80 km (55mph) for the most part...but still lots of slow downs.

If getting there matters....then Cross at the international Bridge and just take the 401 all the way.

Limit is 100 km ....but traffic usually moves just under 120.

Well just plotted up some courses. Looks like looong day that day. We will leave Charlotte and make it just south of Williamsport Pa. Then make the leg up to Canada. WE have the day we travel up to make it to Bowmanville. Going the 7 route its like a 11 day of travel. Without any lookey loo stuff. I guess will have to look into this shoreline route. Is the Hwy 7 a nice ride? Curves and hills? If the lower route is full of tourest and rubber neckers that might be bad.

If getting there matters....then Cross at the international Bridge and just take the 401 all the way

Are you talking about the trip back to the states? Are they pretty quick about getting you thru? About how much time do you think we will have to loose? So which road? 405 to I 190 by Niagra Falls or the QEW to Buffalo? So maybe 401 untill it connects with 403 by Missasugwa (sp) to the 405? Does that miss toll roads? I wasnt planning on getting a bunch of Canadian currency. But........

Our trip up is actually for work. WE only be in town from Aug 29 and leave Sept 1 heading home. Not alot of time to get together and do much. Will be at track from 7am probably until dark and then close to same thing the next day. Head out about 7am (wishful thinking) on Sept 1.

I was suggesting the 401 from the Gananoque Bridge (north of Watertown NY) all the way. (no tolls except at border bridge)

It would take you about 40 min to drive north to #7 and then the road slowly works its way more than 1/2 way south again. If time matters that isn't a good choice. It's an OK road...but not all that special for biking.

IF you go by Niagara Falls the 407 is the only toll road you might hit (besides the bridge at the border).

I would avoid it because it isn't a cash toll.

They take a picture of your plate, then send you the bill.

First timers are charged a fee to set up the account, plus if you don't have a transponder you get charged an extra $3.

The first time I went on it I got nailed with all those fee.

I went from beginning (in Burlington) to the end (in Oshawa)....and it ended up costing me about $25!!!!

Time at the border totally depends on the time of day, day of week etc. Most times it's about 15 min.....other times it can be 2 hours! If you are coming across on the Labour Day weekend, I would expect a delay.

DANG forgot that was labor day weekend. Looked at a route that just sort of snakes along the coast. Which do you think would be better riding? Up to the 7 and across or drop down along Hwy 2 for the most part. The route I played with would be about 4.5 hr & 153mi (so the program says with brakes) from about the boarder to Bowmanville. The northern route says about 5 hr and 192 miles.

via 401= less than 3 hours

Hwy 2 is most scenic...often along the lake....more population=more delays

Take a look at the route from Gananoque #32 to #15 to Crosby, #42 to Westport, #36 to Bolingbroke then Maberly.

Maberly is on #7 ...you can follow #7 down thru Peterborough and then cross country to Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport park)

I think your route planner is allowing a lot more time than needed.

food for thought is all

I am partially using microsoft streets and trips. I have plugged in 30 min break @ 2.5 hours and fuel econmy of 38mpg. Might be conservitive but I'd rather error that way. Only 3 of us so really when we stop for gas/break maybe 10-15 min. The 5hr going up to 7 out of kingston and down sort of has me spooked as we will be starting below Williamsport Pa, so its a pretty long stint. The route Trader mentions is almost what my planner has. It has 3 as I cross boarder to 15 connecting to 14 and then to hwy 7. A way point or 2 I placed forced it to take that way. Looks like if I went your way might shave maybe 30 min? How are those roads? Are they worth riding vs the coastal route? I mean I realize they aint the Smokie Mountians but hey got to be better than flatlands here in Fla. Also are we going to cook at that time of year? Sorry for all the questions but trying to collect info. Somehow I got elected/railroaded into being tour director and navagator. :shock3:

Sending an e-mail to the Canadian authorities asking exactly what I need besides our passports to ride in. I guessed drivers licence, insurance and registration for bike.

That's all you need.

Hope you don't have a criminal record.

DO NOT carry guns, ammo, drugs, etc

Only firearm I own is a .22 browning rifle thats in the closet. Only drugs I got are the ones the doc gives me. Passport is all clear. To much work to be a criminal, ya got to watch for cops be freaked out when a car backfires and all that stuff.

Got together with my riding crew. WE looked over some of the options we have. We decided time is sort of dictating the souther coastal route. So looks like we will stay one night in or around Williamsport Pa. Next day up route 15 I think it is up to finger lakes region to Ithica and up 89 to bottom of Lake Ontario. Then around the lake to Kingston and then Hwy 2 mostly over to Bowmanville. It gives us the option if falling behind to cut over to interstate 81 to the boarder.

Well getting closer to finalizing a route. Looks like time is going to dictate once we get out of finger lakes area to hop on the I 90 over to I 81 up to boarder. From there as of now once across boarder taking route 2 along the coast. If we get behind the curve I supose we have the option of jumping on the 401 just about anywhere along there.

So my question today is on our return route we are going back by way of Toronto/Buffalo. Which entry point would be easier/faster? Niagra Falls I 190 or down all the way to Buffalo Peace Bridge I think the map planner calls it? Its all interstate home baby. 1416 miles in 2 days for me. 641 @ 11.5 hr the first day, 775 @ 12.5 the second. And thats if no rain and all goes well.

Crossing the border into the States anymore is always a crap shoot. Depends on the time of day, day of the week and the mood of the border police. I find weekends between 6 and 9 am and week days mid morning around 10 am the best. But that's crossing at Detroit. I've crossed at Buffalo on a weekday morning and it was slow.

• 1 month later...

OOPs error in reading our schedule. The race is Sunday so we will be leaving Mon AM. One of my group is going to leave after race and start the trip back to Charlotte solo. Ride maybe a few hours then stop. My normal riding buddy and I will leave Mon and I should be able to talk him into about a 7am start I hope.

I called my ins (AARP Foremost) and I was covered in Canada, but the nice lady told me I did need a seperate ID card and sent it in the mail. Finalizing is all but done, I'm working on a few tools to put in the bags, music and hoping I can get all the clothes I need into the bags without having to take a bag strapped to the seat like I have before.