IGNORED

Cruise Control not working

Hey everyone, just got my 1999 Royal Star Venture last week and the cruise does not seem to work at all. A couple of things I have discovered, please let me know if I am wrong. The main switch after being depressed to the "ON" position should spring back to the centered position??..Mine does not. Same with going to the "Off" position. It will stay in either of those positions and not spring back to a centered position.

Secondly, when I turn the main switch to on, the "ON" light comes on and so does the "SET" light without touching anything else. Shouldn't that light only come on after depress the "SET/ACCEL" button? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Dan

Hey everyone, just got my 1999 Royal Star Venture last week and the cruise does not seem to work at all. A couple of things I have discovered, please let me know if I am wrong. The main switch after being depressed to the "ON" position should spring back to the centered position??..Mine does not. Same with going to the "Off" position. It will stay in either of those positions and not spring back to a centered position.

Dan

Mine is the same way as you describe about the switch.. Sorry I can't say much about the lights though, got my bike apart for valves right now

Well, from the service manual under "CRUISE" switch:

"Push this switch to "ON" when the cruise control system is preset. The "ON" indicator light will come on. Once the switch is released it will return to the center (HOLD) position."

It is labeled with a 1 and a circle around that 1, that corresponds to the main ON/OFF switch....so I am a bit confused.

Hey everyone, just got my 1999 Royal Star Venture last week and the cruise does not seem to work at all. A couple of things I have discovered, please let me know if I am wrong. The main switch after being depressed to the "ON" position should spring back to the centered position??..Mine does not. Same with going to the "Off" position. It will stay in either of those positions and not spring back to a centered position. Thats not right, it should spring back. Either the switch is sticking or the return mechanism isn't functioning properly.

Secondly, when I turn the main switch to on, the "ON" light comes on and so does the "SET" light without touching anything else. Shouldn't that light only come on after depress the "SET/ACCEL" button? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! Thats not right either, the on light should stay on, and only when you hit the set should the SET light come on.

Dan

I would check out all the switches and make sure that they are all clean and free moving. Give that a shot and come back with your results, we can do a little better troubleshooting with some basics performed if more is needed :thumbsup2:

When the main switch is in the "off" position, that's where it should be - - not centered. Then when you push it to the "on" position with the bike running, it should spring back to a centered position, but the blue light should then be illuminated indicating that it's ready to be activated.

As to why it won't work, as stated previously, you may need to inspect and clean the main switch and the SET/RES and other handle bar mounted switches. There could very easily be some corrosion built up that is impeding the connection. The CANCEL button may also be stuck in the on position due to internal switch housing corrosion. If the switches are all OK, it could be the cable or the servo itself that is bad.

If it's not a switch problem, then it's likely a cable problem. My PO had disconnected the cable from the 4 way union(under the tank). I had to reconnect and re-adjust to get it all working again.

Theres also the vacuum compressor (right lower?) and the actuator(left lower?) that could be problems.

BTW: the clymers manual has all the info on running the tests which should point you in the right direction.

Secondly, when I turn the main switch to on, the "ON" light comes on and so does the "SET" light without touching anything else. Shouldn't that light only come on after depress the "SET/ACCEL" button? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Dan

Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips!..When I get some time I will clean up the switches real good. I did take the bike out on the highway today to do some testing of the cruise control. When I press the center main cruise switch to "ON" it does indeed spring back to the centered position. When I press it to the "OFF" side, it stays in the off position which I am assuming for now is normal. Additionally now when I press this main switch to on, the "ON" indicator does light up and the "SET" does not. Which before the "SET" was lighting up. So for now that part seems to be working normally as well.

I was able to get the cruise control to set and hold the bike at the set speed. It took a bit of playing with the "SET/DECEL" switch to do it though. Made it work a couple of times. But trying to accelerate or decelerate using that switch did not seem to work so well. But it is improving and as I said, when I get time I will clean those switches up. Again, thanks for the help!

Only works in 4th and 5th gear, above a certain MPH(40, 45? maybe.) Sounds like you might need some adjustment on the Throttle cable at the actuator. There is a threaded shaft with 2 lock nuts that need to be adjusted properly and locked in place.

sp!ke

Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips!..When I get some time I will clean up the switches real good. I did take the bike out on the highway today to do some testing of the cruise control. When I press the center main cruise switch to "ON" it does indeed spring back to the centered position. When I press it to the "OFF" side, it stays in the off position which I am assuming for now is normal. Additionally now when I press this main switch to on, the "ON" indicator does light up and the "SET" does not. Which before the "SET" was lighting up. So for now that part seems to be working normally as well.

I was able to get the cruise control to set and hold the bike at the set speed. It took a bit of playing with the "SET/DECEL" switch to do it though. Made it work a couple of times. But trying to accelerate or decelerate using that switch did not seem to work so well. But it is improving and as I said, when I get time I will clean those switches up. Again, thanks for the help!

I was in 5th gear and running between 65-70mph while I was fiddling around with the cruise..maybe I will check out that cable adjustment. Unfortunately is going to be at least a week before I will be able to look more into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just wanted to give ya'll an update on this. Took a nice long ride yesterday and some good chances to play with the cruise. It seems if I hold the "Set" button for the 10 seconds it works most of the time, probably 8 times out of 10. So for now I am going to leave as is and see what develops. Thanks for the input guys!!!