IGNORED

Being seen when braking.

Trader

Just got off the phone with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) asking about the modulator's you can get for the rear brake lite.

According to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, you CAN NOT have any device that provides a flashing red light.

It goes on to say tapping the brakes is OK...so MY common sense thinking on this is that the law applies to a STEADY flash....that could be interpreted as impersonating a police vehicle.

But a light that flashes 3 times then goes solid is no different than tapping the brakes to flash the driver behind...which I often do on the bike anyway.

Anyway...the Sgt. I spoke to said it sounds very much like it would be up the the officer's discretion. So if you P.O'd the leo for some reason, he could nail you for the flasher.

The back of my bike is lit up pretty good for running lights...but the only brake light is the factory installed rear brake light mounted on the fender. In the daylight I think it get lost so I'm thinking I'll use the reflector LED mod FlyingFool did up for the brake light and put a modulator on it anyway....and take my chances.

I'd rather take my chances with an uncooperative LEO objecting to it than with John Q Public who might not see my brake lights

Also thinking of headlight modulator...which is legal here for sure.

I found one by SIgnal Dynamics for $80 for the headlight and $35 for the tail light modulators.

Are these any good?

Any suggestions, thoughts?

This is the back of my bike. I too had issues with being run over.. something about the impact that scares the heck out of me... anyway...

I put the Harley lights on and wired them for running and brake only.

I put the long led bar from (northern tools) and wired it as brake only. I decided not to run the running portion of the light bar so that the ADDED light might catch someone's attention better/faster.

Then I pray.

[ATTACH]70461[/ATTACH]

edit - I felt that the Northern Tools led bar was brightest.

Edited by TDunc
add comment

You could always hook up the brake light modulator with connectors in such a way that you can easily disconnect it right there in front of the officer and hand it to him and be on your way without it (if he will let you go that easy).

I have a friend that had Illegal lights on his P/U truck and he was told to either disable them right now or call for a tow truck. It was not handled like a burned out light because it was something done deliberately to violate the law. He had to get a tow because he could not disable them easily.

The back of my bike is lit up pretty good for running lights...but the only brake light is the factory installed rear brake light mounted on the fender. In the daylight I think it get lost so I'm thinking I'll use the reflector LED mod FlyingFool did up for the brake light and put a modulator on it anyway....and take my chances.

I'd rather take my chances with an uncooperative LEO objecting to it than with John Q Public who might not see my brake lights

I added two of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-STOP-TURN-TAIL-LIGHTS-11-Diode-surface-mount-Clearance-trailer-Submersible-/300726370812?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4604b041fc (one above the trunk under the trunk rack and one below the trunk) and have them wired for tail and stop. This gives me tons more brake light than Yamaha did!

I have the stock brake light as well as a light bar across the back of my trunk rack. My primary concern is always to be seen as stopping. No questions. I also have a pair of Custom Dynamics 5" flashing LEDs. When brakes are applied they flash 5 times and then go solid. After installing them I made a point to show them to and ask several Niagara Regional police officers as well as OPP if the set was in anyway against the law. Every officer told me that the setup was fine since I had the stock brake light holding solid when the brakes were applied. I have never had a problem with the law regarding this setup and I feel good knowing that cagers behind me know without a doubt that I am stopping.

Thomas

Headlight modulators are legal, by Federal Law, in all 50 States.

There are rules, read 'em, but most maker's units comply, including the Signal Dynamics (Hint: They need a sunset sensor)

Not sure about the brake light modulators, but as part of the LD Rider community for several years I have not heard of anyone being ticketed for using one (and most of the riders do) ... That would be over millions of miles.