IGNORED

Don't forget regular maintenance

Royalstargazer

While one of the advantages to running a car tire on your bike is longevity, don't forget maintenance.

The other day I left dinner with a group of friends, just like I have done many times in the past. Pulled out into traffic shifted to second gear and heard the sound that sounded like ball bearings in a blender. I coasted over into the left turn lane and came to a stop. One of my buddies pulled up along side of me and asked what was wrong. I looked at him and said, I'm in second gear, both feet are on the ground, my hands are in the air, the engine is running, and I'm not moving!!! Your guess is as good as mine. So we pushed the bike off the road and into the parking lot and shut it down. Luckily for me I was close to help. My buddy went home and grabbed his trailer, (about 3 miles away) and we took the bike to his house.

Now comes the problem. We removed the rear wheel, and found the splines on the clutch hub, (the gear on the wheel that connects to the rear differential) was stripped clean. This is why regular maintenance is essential. After further thought, my rear wheel had not been removed from the bike for 30k miles. When I was running a M/C tire and changing it every 8k to 10k miles, that hub was getting cleaned and greased regularly. Fortunately there was no wear or damage to the differential and $104 later for a new hub and dust seal, I was back on the road.:whistling:

Just thought I would share this little bit of info. If it saves just one person from braking down on the road, my job is done.

• 3 weeks later...