IGNORED

Tire changer

Carbon_One

While surfing the E-Bay this evening I ran across this tire changer similar to what Harbor Freight used to sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pppp-Tire-Changer-for-Motorcycle-GoCart-Trailer-Bike-ATV-Truck-size-4-to-16-5-/310408758673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4845cdc591

May be just what someone wants & can get without breaking the bank.

Larry

Says it does 4" - 16.5" diameter. Not for 1st genners.

I have one of these & modded it to grab the inside ridge on the rims. So I can do both front & rear tires. Been using it for about 3 years now. :2cents:

It is still fun with the tires as it is not bolted down in the driveway. Been thinking of having a receiver hitch attachment welded on, use an hitch extention, so I can anchor it to the truck

I cut a 3/4" sheet of 4x8 plywood in half and then bolted my tire changer to that with carriage bolts. At times it'll still want to move on you but with you standing on the plywood it stays put pretty good. When not in use I take the plywood off and stand it against the wall with the changer in the corner out of the way.

You can buy half sheets of plywood at Lowe's & Home Depot as well. I used to have anchors in the floor but did away with them when I built an addition to the garage.

Larry

Just install the anchors in the driveway and then bolt it down when needed, unbolt and put away when not needed.

Thats what we did to the HF I bought, took it to Doodles and drilled/anchored it to the garage floor. If he needs to move it we can unbolt it and move it out of the way. Been bolted in the floor about 2 years now and the Houston crew has probably changed out 40 tires on that little machine

:thumbsup2:

Just install the anchors in the driveway and then bolt it down when needed, unbolt and put away when not needed.

It might be to high up or wobbly off the truck hitch. Not to mention you need room all the way around it.

No, no, no...bolted to a driveway is not good. I vote for the truck hitch so Rocket can come over and mount my tires. :cool10:

Cool. Let us know how it works for you. I don't need one cause I already have one but for those who don't, they may be waiting for a go ahead -buy one report. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Will do. I have a brand new Comander II siting on my front porch delivered yesterday and the jack is due next Monday.

Found a good write up on one that is simular but Harbor Frieght model.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

Cool. Let us know how it works for you. I don't need one cause I already have one but for those who don't, they may be waiting for a go ahead -buy one report. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Well I got the tire changer last night and it works real well. I was able to take a tire off an old rim and put the tire on in about an hour from start to finish. That includes balancing with my homemade balancer and blowing it up. I used a ratchet tiedown to get air in the tire. Put it around the center and cranked it down until it squashed the tire enough to get it to take air.

I just wish puting it on the bike went as smooth. One of the hex hed bolts striped out on the rotor. Had to use my easy out to get it out.

i made a tire changer thats works great, but you need the right tool to do it right.have you got a mojolever ? you can take a tire on and off in no time. look up mojolever and you`ll see.

#1 on the Mojolever!!!

Did you really have to take the rotor off to use it?

All of the changers that I have seen used were able to get the tire on and off without removing the rotor(s).

I've changed a lot of tires and I've never had to take off the rotors either!

Did you really have to take the rotor off to use it?

All of the changers that I have seen used were able to get the tire on and off without removing the rotor(s).

]

No I have an extra wheel but it didn't come with a rotor and so I have to swap it over when I change it. It makes the job easier because I can bolt the changer down to the floor and do the change then unbolt the changer and put the bike in to do the swap, new wheel and tire for the old one.

Had to pull 1 rotor when I changed my front last night using the harbor freight stand. I have to get off my ass and order a different lever, maybe mojo...that seems to be my biggest frustration.

rotor wasn't near as bad as my sportbike was.....other than the ****ty star driver I had to go buy :)