Thread: First ride impressions

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First ride impressions

Well, I'm officially a Venture owner. Picked up my '06 with 8900 miles Saturday morning and rode it the 4 hours home. Never been on any sort of touring bike before, I was extremely impressed, almost felt spoiled

I'm familiar with the engine (in Vmax tune) and was happy with the torque and horsepower. Never used a heel-toe shifter before...so felt like a complete rookie and mis-shifted several times I couldn't believe it doesn't come with a tach....that confused me for the whole ride. I seriously pushed every button I could find...no tach. But did find the 12 volt aux and the clock

Wasn't happy with the high frequency whine at certain RPM's. The Vmax has it too....but the fairing an this funnels the noise right to the rider. I know it's a normal noise...guessing it comes from the valve train? Anyone have fixes for this...or should I be in a lower gear? I'm hoping some synthetic oil might quiet it down.

I definitely need the driver backrest...at 6'2", I find I slouch too much.

Lastly, I purchased a cheap MP3 player and plugged it into the aux (once I got home) and it's not working? The stereo and CB work...didn't try the cassette though....any simple checks? I read through installing the splitter behind the fairing, straight into the amp...and may do that.

Didn't play much with the headset and the CB....couldn't do it all in 1 day

Overall (so far) was exactly what I was looking for....now just want to get out and ride

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whine is the clutch. Some are louder than others. Quirk of a Venture. I fixed mine with louder pipes. You have to set the radio to aux for the mp3 player to work.

United States
    SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glade you liked it, you can switch clutch baskets to try to get rid of the whine but it does not always work.
    Crazy Joe
    Retired Navy Chief

99 RSV X 2;2006 Ultra Classic;2012 GL1800

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The radio/comm stuff takes awhile to perfect. I'm still learning and I got mine in Jan. Could you hear the radio before you tried the MP3 on the aux side? If you couldnt maybe either the volume was down or it was in HS mode (headset) I havent messed with the CB at all. CD is nice if your going a few hours from the house and dont want to mess with trying to find stations. Here in Central Fl there aint many to choose from. I plug my GPS into the aux on longer trips. I still struggle with finding stations and trying to load them in the "presets" is like learning morris code, tap this twice then when its here press and hold tap once more geeze.
    2013 Black Victory XCT
    Trailers are for when your bike is broke, aint they?

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the new bike. My best advice would be that you not form any major opinions about the bike until you've put maybe 5k miles on it.

The Venture is top heavy, and the heavy handlebar mounted faring makes it even worse. Then, there is the full 6 gal tank of gas.

It can be a hand-full, but once you master it you will find the bike handles very well, and is very stable at high speeds.

No, no tach on the Venture. You'll get used to it. No temp guage either. Consider it a blessing.

United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the board! Good to see another Cedar Rapidan hanging out around here! Back rest is an absolute must. The whine is the clutch and they are right some are worst than others. I have an 06 as well with just short of 16k; Look for the upcoming meet and greet on July 7th starting in Riverside. Missed it last year but not missing this year.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought.... being an '06, check when the original owner purchased it. You might get lucky and still have something left of the 5 year warranty. It transfers to the new owner but ends 5 years from original date of purchase.

For mp3... as was mentioned, the stereo has to be set to AUX. Check whether you are set to HS (head set) or SP (speaker). Volume is set independently for stereo or CB. The radio controls aren't exactly intuitive so read the owners manual section carefully and have it in hand when you set presets. If you don't have the owners manual, you can download it as well as Service Manual, parts manual from the read only tech section.

If you have the cd changer and have a iPod or iPhone, you can get an interface from Yamaha that plugs into the cd changer cable and controls the iPod from the stereo controls. Works great !

Also.... for GPS, the Buddy Rich cable is a great addition and allows you to hear directions thru your head set. I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and have a 16gb memory stick full of music on it. This way I can listen to mp3's and directions at the same time. The Zumo also has bluetooth so I synch it with my Blackberry and can make/receive phone calls thru it and hear/talk thru the helmet.

Plus 1 on the backrest. I have the Utopia. Highway bars are good (I have the Kuryakyn offset).

Tip on the cruise... after turning it on, hold the "set" button for a second before releasing the throttle so it engages.

Last but not least... enjoy the ride !
    Don

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the comments...and definitely +1 on the "top heavy". Just pulled off the interstate, at the bottom of the off ramp....yield sign, so was rolling through while looking over my left shoulder for traffic, and she started to tilt. Took a bit of leg muscle to keep her straight. Will have to adjust my "around town" riding appropriately.

So it's the darn clutch huh? Wonder if the Barnett pressure plate would fix it? I'll be trying something in the future....sure would bug me.

I was on aux and SP. Radio and others work fine. MP3 player worked with headphones...so was thinking it must be the plug in the cassette deck.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warp1 View Post
    So it's the darn clutch huh? Wonder if the Barnett pressure plate would fix it? I'll be trying something in the future....sure would bug me.

I was on aux and SP. Radio and others work fine. MP3 player worked with headphones...so was thinking it must be the plug in the cassette deck.
    More specifically it is the clutch basket. Getting an "i-basket" installed from Yamaha often resolves or lessens the issue. Do a search for "clutch whine" or "i basket" and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for a while.

If you take the fairing apart check the connections. They are color code for the stereo system and just make sure they are clean and connected. Di-electric grease is used by many to seal them from moisture. Some of us have added a splitter so that we have a separate aux plug near the mp3 player mount on the handle bar so it is in a more permanent location. Could be the previous owner installed one that has separated or removed. Do a search for "AUX splitter" and you'll find the tech article.
    Don

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotcha....well, won't be messing with the clutch anytime soon. Sounds like a winter project. Maybe a good synthetic oil will quiet it down.

I'll try to make the July 7 ride as well. Looks like I should be off work that weekend. Have some friends going to Algona....so will have to wait and see. I WILL be riding somewhere though

I'll probably pull the fairing apart tomorrow after work. Would like to stop at radio shack first and at least have parts on hand if I go the splitter route. That MP3 player sits so cute on the cassette door

And of course....love the site.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you like the bike and welcome to the site. I love my '07. I guess the whine never has bothered me. I've always had some sort of whine with every bike I've owned so no issue. (The Baron 4-2-4 Nasty Boy pipes don't hurt. Loud pipes and ear plugs pretty much take care of the whine. ) Once you get used to the bike the top heaviness won't bother you either. I can hang with most police bikes in low speed maneuvers so it's all about getting to know her. She really shines though when you put your feet up and just relax as the miles roll by.

United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might also want to check the Tech section for a How-To on getting your saddlebag rails to line up a little better with the lines of the bags.

United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly the AUX in is a wire that has a stereo 1/8" jack that plugs into the amp that sits behind the cassette deck. You'll have to split the faring to find it. I remember because the yahoo PO cut that and I had to put it back together.

It's possible this plug got pulled out and left disconnected.

Another possibility is that I noticed that my MP3 had to be turned up almost all the way to hear it at a decent volume. I ended up getting a small pre-amp to put between the MP3 and the AUX jack.

Good luck finding the problem and enjoy the new ride!

Oh, and just noticed something in your photo. Don't use the CB until you change your antenna around. Unless that photo is turned around, via photoshop, your CB antenna is on the wrong side. It's supposed to be over the riders LEFT shoulder! You can double check this by looking at the left antenna and tracing the wire out to the box under the trunk. That is the CB. If you don't do this and you key the mic. it could severely damage the CB.
    Last edited by gibvel; 06-18-2012 at 06:27 AM.

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word of warning with synthetic oils, make sure there are NO friction modifiers in the oil unless you like a slipping clutch. The engine also has too few miles on it for synthetic oil anyway for proper break in wear IMHO. Yes, they are easy to drop with low speed maneuvers but there are lowering kits that help that out. Or, you can go the route I did and never drop it again ever...

Welcome aboard!!

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast