IGNORED

Route 28 NC,GA,SC

etcswjoe

Road Route 28 yesterday from NC to GA to SC and what a great road, I think the only sraight part is through Highlands NC till you get to Clemson SC. Lots of great things to see especially some great waterfalls. Was a fairly easy ride relaxing pretty much constant twisties. Great little ice cream shop in Highlands, the road is narrow and the posted speed limit is 35 and 45 most of the way but if you get out of 3rd gear you are probally going too fast for the curves any way

:big-grin-emoticon:

Yup I actually discovered the 28 from Bryson city NC to Franklin Nc on accident a couple years ago. Now I find the web site. Moonshiner 28 Glad to hear about the Ice cream joint. The wife and I have 5 days or so planned in Oct staying in Franklin as a base. Plan on some rock hounding, small shop visits etc. I'm going to try to work a trip to the Wheels thru time mesuem in Maggie Valley in too. See there, there are other roads than the "Dragon" up there to enjoy. :cool10:

We've made a loop which included hwy 28 in SC as well. Awesome ride, though the section on Hwy 25 between home and Greenwood is kinda boring (4 lane rural), Here's the link: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/358148

Come to think of it, maybe be an option for this weekend :sun:

Did you hit any of the falls? I have been wanting to visit some of the falls along the route.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/471669

Have been wanting to do this ride. The HellBender.

They changed the name a couple years ago. Moonshiner. Somebody apparently likes the illegal corn liquor :stirthepot: connotation better than the religous reference to El Diablo's home :225:. -lol

As the story goes most of these roads were used by the moonshiners to transport thier goods. Thus the name. I dunno, just plain nice roads. Did you find any good place to eat around there? We have a rule, we dont eat at restruants we have in our town. And we try to eat a "local" type places.

As the story goes most of these roads were used by the moonshiners to transport thier goods. Thus the name. I dunno, just plain nice roads. Did you find any good place to eat around there? We have a rule, we dont eat at restruants we have in our town. And we try to eat a "local" type places.

Just stopped for Ice cream in Highlands nice little shop friendly wish I could remember the name. We had lunch in Cherokee at the Little Princes Restaurant don't eat there unless you are hungry.

Just stopped for Ice cream in Highlands nice little shop friendly wish I could remember the name. We had lunch in Cherokee at the Little Princes Restaurant don't eat there unless you are hungry.

Was it that bad or that much food :whistling:

When I'm up there I like to go to Daniel's in Hiawassi to eat at least once.. They serve good home cooking.

Speaking of roads, you need to ride Yellow Creek road. It and Wayha road. They are both on the map. I can't remember the road numbers right off hand.

I have that same photo, but instead of the bike, it full of VR members from Tail of the Dragon in 2007 I believe, Freebird has one just like mine, they were presented to us at Vogel by the members who attended, and they all signed it, It hangs in a place of honor here, its something I will cherish for the rest of my life...........Thanks again guys and gals!!!!!

Yours is still a great pic that will remind you of a fantastic ride, have done it several times and look forward to doing it again!!!!

Road Route 28 yesterday from NC to GA to SC and what a great road, I think the only sraight part is through Highlands NC till you get to Clemson SC. Lots of great things to see especially some great waterfalls. Was a fairly easy ride relaxing pretty much constant twisties. Great little ice cream shop in Highlands, the road is narrow and the posted speed limit is 35 and 45 most of the way but if you get out of 3rd gear you are probally going too fast for the curves any way

:big-grin-emoticon:

Speaking of roads, you need to ride Yellow Creek road. It and Wayha road. They are both on the map. I can't remember the road numbers right off hand.

Yellow creek is county rd 1242 and runs between 129, Nw of Robbinsville and 28.

Wayah rd (pronounced Why yah) has no number that I'm aware of.

I have heard, but never verified, that parts of the movie "Thunder Road" with Robert Mitchum were filmed on 28.

*tip op my hat* to motorcyclemike. Robert Mitchum is one of (many) actors from that time period that I really enjoy watching. Toss in moonshine, mountain roads, and a good old fashioned battle with gangsters and "revenuers" and it has to be a winner.

Just added it to my Netflix queue.

djh3, if you can make your way over to Saluda NC there is this little shop selling knick knacks and such. One of the owners is a geoloigist of sorts. (has a degree in geology anyway) and they have some of the coolest rocks and such on hand. There are some pieces of amethyst that are simply amazing. I don't normally go for "dust catchers" but there was one piece of raw amethyst that was something to see. I just couldn't afford it or I would have owned it. The shop is just around the corner from the :bobby: and is right next door to an ice cream shop. :301:

This is a great ride.. I went down Memorial day weekend to visit my folks and my 76 yo dad rides and we went up Hwy276 to US 64 to one great water fall (I forget the name) then back down Hwy 64 to Hwy 28 up to Bridal Falls which is absolute beautiful. Then back down Hwy 28 to Walhalla ... I have a group friends we are going back the 5th-7th of July!! Can't wait to discover a few more sights!

And that Ice cream place i heard someone speak about!:cool10: