IGNORED

Crank case cover removal

I need to replace the gasket on the left side crank case cover and I'm wonder what "special" considerations I need to be aware of. I've read and printed the service manual instructions and looked at a few pics on the site.

After removing the multiple allen bolts that hold the cover on will it come off with the stator attached to the cover or do I have to remove the smaller cover first (with Yamaha emblem)?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Brian

First you have to remove the middle gear cover, then you can get the left side cover off.

The stator is screwed to the inside of the cover. You do not need to remove the round panel in the middle of the cover, if that round cover is not leaking, leave it alone. You also do not have to remove that small plug just in front of the round panel.

You will need to have the side cover gasket, the middle gear cover gasket and the crush washer that goes on the bottom screw of the middle gear cover.

It is common to be leaking oil where the 3 wire from the stator come thru the side cover. Clean this area thoroughly with brake cleaner to get all of the oil out of the cloth covering of the wires, then goop the wires up real good with black RTV inside and out rub the RTV into the cloth wire insulation good.

I just did my 83 and I did not have to remove the other cover. Everyone kept saying that you had to but I tried anyways and mine came right off without having to remove the middle gear cover.

Now the wires route under there behind the aluminum flange and it is a LOT EASIER to get to the wires and re route with the middle gear cover off, but it can be done without removal. IT is a major bear with the wire feed through under there. It is a lot easier if you remove the middle gear cover, I removed mine anyways to make it less of a fight. (you also need a new copper washer for the bottom bolt on the middle gear cover)

To prevent leaks you need to clean the gasket surfaces very well. a razerblade will scratch aluminum so be very careful. I used some plastic razerblades used for the automotive cleaning and paint industry to do mine. I then used black RTV gasket to seal the plug and let it sit undisturbed for a couple of hours to harden, then I put the new gasket on the engine side, it is held there with the two locator pins. I added a thin coating of black RTV over the two rubber wire feed throughs and then mated the cover to the engine.

I then did a radial slow tighten. Tighten down to finger tight and then go top, bottom, top, bottom, top bottom and around until I finally got to the proper torque for the bolts.

After that I let it sit for a day to let the RTV over the rubber set up and then filled the bike with oil and started it up. No leaks at all.

Edited by timgray

I just did my 83 and I did not have to remove the other cover. Everyone kept saying that you had to but I tried anyways and mine came right off without having to remove the middle gear cover.

Now the wires route under there behind the aluminum flange and it is a LOT EASIER to get to the wires and re route with the middle gear cover off, but it can be done without removal. IT is a major bear with the wire feed through under there. It is a lot easier if you remove the middle gear cover, I removed mine anyways to make it less of a fight. (you also need a new copper washer for the bottom bolt on the middle gear cover)

To prevent leaks you need to clean the gasket surfaces very well. a razerblade will scratch aluminum so be very careful. I used some plastic razerblades used for the automotive cleaning and paint industry to do mine. I then used black RTV gasket to seal the plug and let it sit undisturbed for a couple of hours to harden, then I put the new gasket on the engine side, it is held there with the two locator pins. I added a thin coating of black RTV over the two rubber wire feed throughs and then mated the cover to the engine.

I then did a radial slow tighten. Tighten down to finger tight and then go top, bottom, top, bottom, top bottom and around until I finally got to the proper torque for the bolts.

After that I let it sit for a day to let the RTV over the rubber set up and then filled the bike with oil and started it up. No leaks at all.

Hmmmmmm..........

I'm gonna hafta try that.

I have a new stator sitting on the kitchen table that needs to go in.

I will try to see if I can get the side cover off without taking off the middle gear cover.

I thought I tried that when I did the starter clutch but that was a long time ago and I have CRS syndrome.

The last time I had my cover off I did not drain the oil, with the bike on the center stand very little oil came out. most of it came out of the middle gear and that does not drain with the engine, that is why the crush washer is on the bottom bolt, that is the drain for the transmission.

There may be some differences between my 88 and your 83.

Since you are replacing the stator, I would HIGHLY recommend you pull the second gear cover since you will want to get the alternator and the ignition pickup coil wires out of the loom holders under the 2nd gear cover so you can unplug them.

I would also recommend you get some gasket remover from an auto parts store, that ole gasket is pretty well baked on there and it's best to let chemicals do the main work for you on the main cover.

Those big screws on the stator are going to need a REALLY good bit and an impact tool is probably the tool of choice, that unit was put on to STAY on, so don't expect it to come out without some persuasion !

You can get replacement pins for the connections or (better yet) get a larger plug and mate so the male and female pins have larger area to handle all of that current. The stock connector was quite stressed to handle the rated current and created many headaches and failures so a positive solution is very desirable.

Thanks for all the tips. I had ordered the main gasket but not the middle gear cover gasket or the crush washer and did not realize to look for the wire issues.

I would have torn into it and been dead in the water till I got what I needed.

Earl helped me out and what I need should be here in a few days... till then I'll still be riding :cool10:

Moral of the story.... Post the question prior to placing the order :no-no-no:

Thanks again!

Brian

When you go to install the stator cover be sure you have the shifter linkage in the proper position. It's the knuckle behind the cover with the shaft going through the cover that is the issue here. It likes to fall to the bottom, but it needs to be at the top of the shaft. It will install when at the bottom, but it will take more persuasion to get the cover to seat, and you will have to take it off again to do it right. More than one person has noticed that it doesn't work so well when not installed properly.

We had some People try to leave the Middle Drive Gear Cover on the Motor over the Years.

Not one of them ended up without harm. I'm talking 1Gen Vmax here, which is easier because the Shifter Axle goes through rear Cover, not through the Stator Cover. Pinched Stator Wires, Pick-UP Coil Wires cut off, endless Leaks on the Stator Wires. It's just not worth it.