IGNORED

Dunlop D404 Experience

oldfaithful

I've owned this 84 Venture Std for almost a year now, and this spring she got a new set of tires. I searched this site for recommendations on tires and found as many opinions as members. I finally decided on Dunlop D404s because they are common to similarly sized bikes and priced right.

One of the tires must have had a slow leak...which started this learning exercise. A week or so after installation, the bike began to have a really pronounce wobble from the rearend at any speed over 50, and worse as you speed up. I checked and found the rear tire to be quite hot and the pressure to be ~20 psig :think:. Pressurized up to 50 psig and rode home. I'm guessing that the hot tire and elevated pressure finally seated the tire properly, because the leak has now disappeared. That's what I was hoping for.

Lesson 1: The low pressure led to a weak sidewall, which allowed the tire to wobble around...increasing the pressure stiffened the sidewall and returned the ride to normal.

Not too long after that, I got comfortable with the new tires and began to push the bike a bit. I then noticed a slight wobble from the rear, while in a sweeping turn at any speed over 75 mph :whistling:. I played around with the rear tire pressure and found that 50 psig was a bit more stable than my usual 40 psig in those sweepers. That sent me on a search for an explanation of tire ratings.

Lesson 2: The rear D404 is rated for 761 lb @ 41 psig, while the bike weighs ~1000 lb with me on it. I should have checked the load rating prior to purchase.

My opinion now is that the load rating of the D404 is too low for a bike of this size. Based on my experience and riding style, I will not be putting another set of D404s on my 1st Gen. If you ride slow and take it easy, these tires will be fine...but I like to push it a little bit more. :happy34: My next set of tires will have a stiffer sidewall and higher load rating.

Just thought this might help someone out there that's trying to decide on new tires for a 1st Gen.

I've owned this 84 Venture Std for almost a year now, and this spring she got a new set of tires. I searched this site for recommendations on tires and found as many opinions as members. I finally decided on Dunlop D404s because they are common to similarly sized bikes and priced right.

One of the tires must have had a slow leak...which started this learning exercise. A week or so after installation, the bike began to have a really pronounce wobble from the rearend at any speed over 50, and worse as you speed up. I checked and found the rear tire to be quite hot and the pressure to be ~20 psig :think:. Pressurized up to 50 psig and rode home. I'm guessing that the hot tire and elevated pressure finally seated the tire properly, because the leak has now disappeared. That's what I was hoping for.:

Lesson 1: The low pressure led to a weak sidewall, which allowed the tire to wobble around...increasing the pressure stiffened the sidewall and returned the ride to normal.

Not too long after that, I got comfortable with the new tires and began to push the bike a bit. I then noticed a slight wobble from the rear, while in a sweeping turn at any speed over 75 mph :whistling:. I played around with the rear tire pressure and found that 50 psig was a bit more stable than my usual 40 psig in those sweepers. That sent me on a search for an explanation of tire ratings.

Lesson 2: The rear D404 is rated for 761 lb @ 41 psig, while the bike weighs ~1000 lb with me on it. I should have checked the load rating prior to purchase.

My opinion now is that the load rating of the D404 is too low for a bike of this size. Based on my experience and riding style, I will not be putting another set of D404s on my 1st Gen. If you ride slow and take it easy, these tires will be fine...but I like to push it a little bit more. :happy34: My next set of tires will have a stiffer sidewall and higher load rating.

Just thought this might help someone out there that's trying to decide on new tires for a 1st Gen.

I think you may be forgetting one small detail. The load rating for the tire is for that tire only. Since you have 2 tires on your bike, I'm assuming you do, the front tire shares the load. Unless you drive around on the back tire only! So if you and your bike together weigh 1000#, the back tire only carries about half of the load. This actual load depends on the front/rear weight ratio. On the other hand, if you're right in your assessment, then Yamaha engineers are a bunch of idiots for putting the D404 on the bike as standard equipment on the newer, heavier 2Gens.;;

IMHO

At least on a 2nd Gen, the D404 is too light a tire. NEVER, NEVER run a D404 on a 2nd Gen. Ran 2 sets (both were emergency installs while on a trip). Never got over 5000 miles and one had a blowout (on a twisty 2 lane WV highway - while pulling a trailer) at about 45 mph.

Avon, Michelin, or Elite3's only on my ride.

YMMV

RR

I have said it before and I will say it now..."Oh hoo hah". I have ran Dunlop D404 for most of the 160k miles on my 02 Venture. Other than the original Bridgestones and the second tires (Metzler 880), I Dunlop D404 is all I have used. I have 13,400 on the front tire right now and will change it when it needs it. I put a new rear on last fall after 10,900 miles. I will continue to use these tires as long as they continue their performance. I always like to add this to my statements...I always use Dynabeads to balance.

:farmer:

but take the weight standing vs the weight in a twistie at speed with two up and the amount of weight with the G's added and I agree it's too lite.

How do you measure that? If you can't go by the "standing weight", then I dare say there's a tire out there including the E3 and Venon that will be considered "safe". If even 2 g's are figured into the equation, then you are probably overloaded.

And I guess the Dynabeads caused the blowout, huh?

Naah, just not the right tire for the application. To be fair, the tire didn't 'fail', it wore out. I was not diligent about checking it since it only had about 4000 miles on it. The previous tire had been an Avon that I got 16000 miles.

RR

At some point I calculated the weight distribution on a first gen. I cannot quickly find the post but as I recall it was about 30/70 front/rear.

I also figured that the rider was pretty much over the center of gravity so his weight is also 30/70. Passenger and stuff in bags is about 100% rear. Weight in trunk actually shifts weight from the front to the rear a bit (-10/110 or so).

So a 1000 lb bike/rider combo puts about 700 lbs. on the rear. You don't need much in the bags or on the pillion to go over 761 lbs.

I figure that with SWMBO and her possessions on board we're close to 900 on the rear. Not many tires in 1st gen size that are rated for that much load.

Naah, just not the right tire for the application. To be fair, the tire didn't 'fail', it wore out. I was not diligent about checking it since it only had about 4000 miles on it. The previous tire had been an Avon that I got 16000 miles.

RR

This is one of the biggest cause of tire failure. Now, to be honest, I agree with you to a point. The D404 are not the best tire you can buy, but it certainly isn't as bad as you claim. This is just my opinion, but that's how I buy tires. I got 13k out of the last 404 I used on the rear. Had plenty of tread left but it got a hole in it and I didn't like having to worry whether or not it was going to leave me stranded somewhere. If I can't find a E3 or Venom at the next tire change, I will not hesitate to buy a 404. I use to like the Metzelers but after reading about all the chunking out on here I'll pass on that one.

Had a young...er friend drop by to chat last week. He just bought this low mile 99RSV and complained about the tires wearing out in 5000 miles. I asked him what brand and he responded with Dunlop 404's. I recommended he pick up a set of E3's soon.... He is younger, and does ride more agressively than most, and the bike is his daily transportation. He loves the bike and it'll be interesting to see what he gets out of the new set...

The D404's I had on my bike were ok. I liked the whitewalls really well. I kept 40 psi in them and they delivered over 12,000 miles. Maybe closer to 14k if I recall correctly. They handled the water well. It was a tough decision not to get another set when I replaced them this time around. The required tire load rating is in your owners manual. Follow that and you should be alright. Motorcycle engineers have a pretty good understanding of the g-forces created by these bikes. My only complaint with the D404s was sometimes the rear end felt a little like it was floating around corners. Not bad and maybe appreciated by others but I just didn't care for the feeling. Also I am always looking for a little better mileage.

I think all of the touring bike tires, except the ones you just mounted, get some bad press on this forum. Some crack, some shred, some chunk and many get poor mileage. Some don't even come in the right sizes. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on which tire is the best except new tires are better than old tires. I mounted the new Exedra MAX this time around. So far I am happy with them. But I would feel perfectly safe with another set of D404s.

Mike