IGNORED

Wow. SeaFoam

JohnMidnight

Wow... I mean WOW.

Earl told me to start doing it... so Monday this week, I went to autozone after work--and after my paycheck deposit--I picked up two 16 oz bottles of SeaFoam, and CarbCleaner (to try Earls onbike carb clean).

I got home, I'm looking over things. I start the Venture up, and she fires up on three cylinders. Just sitting there for a few minutes and she keeps at it. I turn her off, and pop the fuel cap, I rough guess two ounces of seafoam, because I didn't have much fuel left. Put the cap back on, and turned the key. I let the fuel pump run, and just let her sit there (she's on the tender too)

I then start her up. Three cylinders fire... after 20 seconds she starts coughing. I noticed she's getting rougher and then... I hear the fourth cylinder fireing. She's clearing up and I rev her up nice and slow, and she's going, she's clear, clean.

I didn't ride her tuesday, but today, I rode her to work. I'm gonna clock out early today to do the on-the-bike carb clean, but still, this is one awesome not painful lesson I learned.

USE SEA FOAM!

(I'll be buying another for my dad, his GoldWing sneezed)

Before you change plugs put about a 1/4 tank of gas or less add the rest of the can of Sea-Foam run it for a few minutes and leave sit overnight. Then ride it like you stole it til you have to fill up. You may need a set of plugs then but small investment for the change you will see.

Been using SeaFoam ever since I read about here on the Forum several years ago. I'm a believer as well....so much so that I add a small dose with every fill-up!:cool10:

Boomer....who sez his elevator may not run to de top floor but de scoot howls on all 4 cylinders fer sure.....:whistling:

Been using SeaFoam ever since I read about here on the Forum several years ago. I'm a believer as well....so much so that I add a small dose with every fill-up!:cool10:

Boomer....who sez his elevator may not run to de top floor but de scoot howls on all 4 cylinders fer sure.....:whistling:

JUNK ON TOP FLOOR OVERRATED ANYWAY!!! I'm having a blast in the BASEMENT!!!

• 1 month later...

My Venture was spittin fuel out the one pipe and leaking from the hoses and other places on the carbs this year after sitting afew months. I removed the air cleaners and sprayed seafoam directly into the air intake at idle then let the thing sit for awhile and did it agian. I ran the bike with seafoam in the tank and addes some Lucas Oil additive too. I'm not scared to take off the carbs but I won't if I can help it. The bike seems to run great. I know with 14K it's supposed to be past time to check the valve lash and change the sparke plugs.. I'm debating weater to do that before I go on a cross country tour. I'm kinda leaning to if it an't broke don't fix it. As far as the seafoam goe's it seems to help but I can't say the carbs would not have cleared up just riding her with plain fuel either.

My Venture was spittin fuel out the one pipe and leaking from the hoses and other places on the carbs this year after sitting afew months. I removed the air cleaners and sprayed seafoam directly into the air intake at idle then let the thing sit for awhile and did it agian. I ran the bike with seafoam in the tank and addes some Lucas Oil additive too. I'm not scared to take off the carbs but I won't if I can help it. The bike seems to run great. I know with 14K it's supposed to be past time to check the valve lash and change the sparke plugs.. I'm debating weater to do that before I go on a cross country tour. I'm kinda leaning to if it an't broke don't fix it. As far as the seafoam goe's it seems to help but I can't say the carbs would not have cleared up just riding her with plain fuel either.

I have no idea what bike you have, but 14K is not past the spec for valve check - that is due at 26K on a 2nd gen.

As for the need for plugs - those are scheduled to be changed every 8,000 miles; however, I personally think that is too often. Never hurts to have new plugs, but I do not find any reason to change them on my RSV more often that every 24,000 or so.

As for the often repeated idea that Seafoam fouls plugs - that is not true IN MY EXPERIENCE. Others may have seen this, but I never have - and I have worked on LOTS of these bikes for folks! And I do use and recommend Seafoam regularly. Certainly plugs are one of the easiest and first things you should change if you are fighting ignition or smooth running problems, but don't think it is required just because you used Seafoam.

So like I said, new plugs never hurt, but just know that not everyone thinks there is any reason to change them after using Seafoam.

Goose

As for the often repeated idea that Seafoam fouls plugs - that is not true IN MY EXPERIENCE. O

Goose,

Is that with the standard dosage or is that also the case with a higher dosage treatment?

I've never heard that with the recommended dosage the plugs foul. I have heard, however, that with a larger dosage, say 3/4 to a full can per tank or pouring it straight into the carbs, the plugs do foul.

Have you ever experienced that situation and what did you find if s o?

Goose,

Is that with the standard dosage or is that also the case with a higher dosage treatment?

I've never heard that with the recommended dosage the plugs foul. I have heard, however, that with a larger dosage, say 3/4 to a full can per tank or pouring it straight into the carbs, the plugs do foul.

Have you ever experienced that situation and what did you find if s o?

I do not believe in using it above the highest concentrated dose from the label - I do not believe it does anything more at higher doses; therefore, it is a complete waste of money.

But that said, I have seen others use it at very high concentrations, and I have never seen a fouled plug as a result.

Goose

I do not believe in using it above the highest concentrated dose from the label - I do not believe it does anything more at higher doses; therefore, it is a complete waste of money.

But that said, I have seen others use it at very high concentrations, and I have never seen a fouled plug as a result.

Goose

I think it'll foul plugs only when used the first time in a system that's been sitting for a while and pretty gummed up. I've experienced it on several bikes. A good clean out with a full can to a full tank, and it'll run better, but not great. Fresh plugs and a sync and it hauls a$$. Taking into consideration that the plugs where old to begin with, I can't really say with absolute that it wasn't the plug condition that caused the fouling except that it did run better. For normal Sea Foam usage I add a 'blurp' every 3 to 4 tanks, or when I suspect getting gas that may not be the greatest... I keep a can in the saddle bag...

I also use Sea foam on occasion and have never had fouled plugs. As a matter of fact, my first set of plugs were changed at 37k when I did the valve check. I now have 58k and this is the same set of plugs that I put in at that time. Still working just fine. I think changing plugs is overrated, especially at 8k. But then again, whatever works!

I put a FULL can to a tank of gas about twice a year. .

Think they (Seafoam) warranty the fuel can sit for two years so there is no need to put a another can in the same tank of fuel. Does not evaporate that fast. :rotf:

Brad

It did so good for my bike I used it on my lawn mower and weed trimmer. Ran much better after!

Trader I,m with you, I poor about half a can in the bike and divide the rest up between two five gallon cans for the mower and a two gallon can for the weed eater/chain saw gas.

WOW, is right!! After reading all of this, it makes me wish i had been the Dude that invented SeaFoam!

Heck, I have a computer that gets a little stopped up every now and again, I wonder if SeaFoam will help it?

You know what? SeaFoam might be the answer to us having to take our Great Dane to the vet periodically.

Just joking.

At my local NAPA, seafoam is on sale until July 20 for $4.99 a can. Stock up while you can. I had to buy a can last week while on vacation due to a bad tank of gas and the parts store wanted $10/can but got him down to $8.

I started dosing all the fuel that goes through the bikes and all my small engines.. chainsaws, mowers, etc. Now I never have a starting issue that's carb related. And a couple of my 2-strokes used to loose power and die when they warmed up good. That hasn't happened since Seafoam.

As far as prices... O'Reillys gallon size is normally $51.99 which equals $6.50 a can. They did have a sale on that size a couple of months ago that got the price down to about $5.50 a can. But $4.99 is great! I'll have to check NAPA locally and see if they have it for that price.

edit: Seems the sales are regional. It was on sale here LAST month.

Edited by BigBoyinMS

I put a FULL can to a tank of gas about twice a year. I've never had a problem with fouled plugs. I've never poured it directly into the carbs though.

I have used it quite often and have poured it into the carbs directly. I run the the engine at 1000 rpm while pouring it into the carbs then let the engine idle while sill pouring and flood out the engine. I fire the engine up again, after letting it soak for about 20 to 30 minutes I then rev the engine a few times then close everything up and take it for a good run. I have had no issues what so ever with fouling plugs. As a matter of fact the only side effect I ever had was the huffing and puffing. not the bike.... ME from trying to out run my neighbours who are totaly ticked for all the smoke this process tends to create until it clears TIP: do this when the neighbours are fewer in number or better yet no were around.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I know that I am not an engine expert but it would seem to me that pouring it directly in to the carbs of a running engine will cause the sea foam to just get sucked in to the cylinders and bypass all of the carb jets and passages that you want it to clean. Am I wrong?

Edited by rstacy

I also use Sea foam on occasion and have never had fouled plugs. As a matter of fact, my first set of plugs were changed at 37k when I did the valve check. I now have 58k and this is the same set of plugs that I put in at that time. Still working just fine. I think changing plugs is overrated, especially at 8k. But then again, whatever works!

My cousin had a 2000 Ultra Classic that he put 160,000 mils on before he traded it last year. Nothing outside of regular maintenance, 1 oil pump, and it still had the 1000 mile check plugs in it when he traded it. That's got to be unusual, but it ran smooth as silk. Well a vibrating HD V Twin kind of silk.

I also use it in everything, bike, lawnmower, F350 desiel, it works great, One thing you may want to check into, my local NAPA auto parts store in Va. sells it for 6.95 a can, thats 2 bucks cheaper than Walley World, butttttttt, Walley World will match their price, just bought 2 cans from Walley today at 6.95 each.:stirthepot: