IGNORED

What Motorcycling Means to Me (add your own)

twigg

One of the reasons that I wasn't too upset at failing to finish the April Fools Rally was simply that I got this picture.

This is one of the hundreds of similar moments I get in every long distance (and many of the shorter) rides that I do.

For me it contains nearly all the elements of why I do this.

If you click the photo you can see the full resolution version, SmugMug is good like that :)

Feel free to add your own pictures to the thread.

http://twigg.smugmug.com/Motorcyling/Rallies/April-Fools-Rally/i-QPFHqZw/0/M/IMG20120401145503-M.jpg

You can't click the photo, so here is the link to the Gallery:

Traveling on a motorcycle requires and stimulates all your senses.

Sight - There are no blind spots on a motorcycle. The sights on the way are often better than the sights at your destination.

Sound - purr of the engine, bark of the exhaust, silence of solitude when you stop somewhere out of the way.

Feel - Vibration of the bike, leaning into a nice corner, the rush of acceleration, the adrenaline of going into a corner a little too hot but pulling it out.

Smell - The local fauna always has a distinct scent. The leaves in fall, the dust of cornfields in summer, the smell of the ocean, the dryness of the desert.

Taste - Finding a place with amazing pies in a town with no stop light. A deli in the back of a general store that makes a great sandwich with home smoked meats. DQ.

And, of course, the stimulated sense of wonder. Wonder why someone would bury cars in the ground (Carhenge), wonder why someone would cover a building with corn (Corn Palace), wonder why someone would put a huge stone statue in the middle of nowhere (Pierre Obelisk, Granville, ND).

That's what motorcycling means to me.

RR

Rounding that corner or cresting that hill and seeing a sight you've never seen before.

I live in a BEAUTIFUL part of the country with lots of lakes and beaver ponds, rock faces, twisties everywhere leading to little hamlets and villages that all seem to have a seperate personality.

But most of all I just love the total experience. The sun, wind, thrills, calm....even riding in the rain is enjoyable at times!

Sure wish my wife shared my passion.

She "tolerates" going for a ride every now and then.:fiddle:

It's just the best way to see the country........... and God Bless it. Left my brother's place in Reno at 6:30 am, took 395 south to Bishop to see a friend then home through Yosemite to Visalia by 8:30 pm. Tired but well rested if you know what I mean...:cool10:

There are so many things that each of us could say for me it is something that my wife and I enjoy together. Each time we ride it is like a mini vacation away, a time to just relax away from all that is going on the the riggors of daily life. I compare our motorcycle friends to the friends that I made in the military life long, loyal, dependable and trusting.

There are so many things that each of us could say for me it is something that my wife and I enjoy together. Each time we ride it is like a mini vacation away, a time to just relax away from all that is going on the the riggors of daily life. I compare our motorcycle friends to the friends that I made in the military life long, loyal, dependable and trusting.

My thoughts exactly!!

There are so many things that each of us could say for me it is something that my wife and I enjoy together. Each time we ride it is like a mini vacation away, a time to just relax away from all that is going on the the riggors of daily life.

But seriously this says it for us.

In all the years we have been married [41 next week!] riding our bikes is the one thing we get to do together. Been to some great rallies, ridden a fair bit of this big island we call Australia, and had a ball.

But if it were not for the love of riding we would never have met THE most amazing people in Canada and the U.S.A. And I try to remember to say thank you every day :thumbsup2:

:sign yeah that: VR.org :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Ron and I rode motorcycles when we were married 40 years ago this June. Now that the kids are grown, we renewed this love starting in 2002 when we bought our RSV! Our love of motorcycling has increased over the years. Riding together, meeting new people with the same interest has increased our enjoyment two fold.

To me it is a meditation, it relieves any stress I may have encountered, and allows me to keep the problems or troubles of the day in the back of my mind.

I do dread the day we can no longer ride together.

I will not give it up until I can not longer ride with out any fear for our safety. Right now, I am living the life I love and treasure all the rides, big and small. It is still a thrill to remember.

Yama Mama:smile5: