IGNORED

Beefing up night riding lights

I want to start riding at night again, and the headlight on the Lady Blue just isn't enough.

So I've seen my options:

Upgrade to a new headlight bulb. I was thinking PIAA's H4's, or a Silverstar Ultra.

Aux Lights: Who to buy from, what kind? ya know? I need ones that provide optimum visuals, and be fully capable of supporting my headlights light cast.

Upgrade to HID: Who to buy from? what type?

Theres lots of different types of Aux lights, fog lights, hid brands... -.-'

Man there are so many choices. The Silverstar Ultra is a good choice on a budget along with the Burners from Wally World as driving lights. The first pic is Burners that I had first to start. About $40.00 for both the Ultra and the Burners.

A lot have changed over to the HID setups but some minor mods need to be made with the ballasts used because of the way the head light shuts off during starting.

I added the 4.5 inch housings on the bike and changed to the standard auto head lights. I used both the amber and clear and currently running the clear. 2nd & 3rd pic. Some mods need to be made for the larger heavier housing.

I went nuts and did a whole headlight upgrade (Dingy) to mount the Hella 90mm Projector lights. That is an expensive mod to do and the kits are not availble anymore.

4th pic and more.

The last two are the Silverstar on Low and then on high with the 35wt drivers.

So how much ya wanna spend is the only question.

Mike

If I had the money to throw at the light right now I'd hang a set of Piaa drivers on the old girl. Very nice.

I have the Silverstars in my V-star I do like them but on my venture I went with a 65 watt white head light with 55 watt amber in my light bar for the price hid is the way to go for a headlight but in the light bar it was a bit of a nightmare getting them to work I had to put the control box in my farring and basically re wire the light bar but now that its in I won't change it the yellow is nice in rain and fog the headlight it self you basically change the bulb and run a wire to the battery

What I would like to know is how do the new L.E.D's compare to the H.I.D's on my V-star I would maybe like to change them to led "hid can't be done on it" since I have to re wire the light bar and change lens fig it be a good time to up grade

Sigh, now that you brought it up, man. those are nice LED headlights! but they all are a 7" round head lamp. Well they make it sound like it'll ship with a 7" headlamp. LOL. mmm... well if I can get a hold of those leds... maybe I can make a new headlamp....

Edited by JohnMidnight

Hid isn't even that much work the kit I have is basicly a standerd bulb bluff the ballast in to the bulb and stock wiring hide it all and run a hot wire to the battery the upgrade it self only takes 5 min its all the work to get at it

I just installed a bi-xenon (hi & low beam) HID kit off e-bay in my 09 RSV. Pretty straight forward plug and play. Before the HID I had a Sylvania 80/100w bulb in it, but the more I read on here the more worried I got about melting the wires.

Thsi solution looks pretty easy but a bit spendy. If its as good as they say it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

It looks to me like the headlight is probably a bolt in and just hide the ballast in the fairing and route the wires.

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/products/headlights/h6054-200mm-motorcycle-hid-projector-headlight.html

Brian

That does look pretty easy, little modification to current headlight mount, yea. Though that'll leave me with really needing aux lights to light up the left and right sides of the road. We don't get big animals out here in the valley, we get the small stuff, little extra warning that theirs a squirrel running across the road would help :) I've hit one on the VS650, it was not fun, not at all.

I can re run wires if necessary, especially different gauge wire.