Whats the E3 look like? With 5000 miles on it I'd think it would last the summer. I had an E2 on the back of the '83 and thought about replacing it before taking off to Ft Collins on '07 just to be on the safe side. Posted a pic of the tread here on the board and the consensus was to don't worry about it and ride. I did. It finally wore to where it had to replaced in '09 before the Round-Up in Cody..... BTW that's just about it when it comes to tire size....

it looks pretty god still, but, i live now on back roads. my driveway is 300ft of dirt, sand, and grass. its a little squirrely with the E3. was thinking about going to a light, dual purpose tire . not a knobby. like the bridgestone.

Edited by reddevilmedic

It's a little bit skinny. There should be a numerical load rating - check what it is and look it up on a conversion table, then you can decide if it's a heavy enough duty tyre to last any time on the bike. With the wrong rear tyre (140/90H16 Kenda - claimed to be ok for up to 1000lbs) I killed it in less than 1000miles with my sidecar and trailer. I used to use the Conti Tour which was rated 77 for weight, which is about as high as you get. If the Elite 3 is rated 78 that's even better, although I don't think it's available here. If what you're looking at is only about 60, unless you only ride solo I wouldn't bother.