IGNORED

1983 venture starter problem

I have a new to me 1983 venture that i just got running after a complete carborator cleaning. Now the starter seams like there is not enough power in the battery to turn it over, but this is the same battery that i use on my other 1983 venture and it starts it fine. It almost seams as if it might be something in the starter, not sure if brushes would cause this kind of problem. I also have a high amp batter charger with a start option, that i tried, but it still cranked very slow then it will start. Does anyone have any ideas where i should start. Thanks Dave

I had the same problem on my 86.

If you look around you will see many replies that will tell you to check the battery, upgrade the cables, clean the terminals and engine ground and even do a ground repair to the starter.

All of those things are good things to do.

But the ultimate fix for my bike was to upgrade to a GenII or later starter. Its a 4 brush starter versus the 2 brush starter that you have now. There are a number of threads here that talk about it.

They can be had on Ebay for $50 -$129. Its not a fun project but it isn't too bad and it absolutely solved my slow starting issue.

YAH!!! What Ray said!! Also upgrade your battery cables to a higher gauge (thicker) wire!! Huskier cables, both positive and negative, alone can make a difference! There waqs a member that made upgrade kits but I don't think he is doing them any more...