IGNORED

1988 Venture Royale

Ok Guys,

Looks like I'm running on 2 cylinders.Pulled both caps off left side and no difference in idle.

Left side from riders point of view. Pulled battery and box out and can see coils and TCI unit.

All the screws are aimed forward so I guess you need to pull the fairing. How difficult is that.

Is there anyway to pull the coils and TCI without removing it? Noticed the coils are stacked in pairs towards front, doesn't look like you can get to any of them for testing, but maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. Also what are the cylinder numbers and locations?

Tried snipping the wire ends at the plug--no change after start up.

Ohmed out the ignition coils--got 3.3 ,also pullled plug off the back of the TCI and checked

ohms on the pickup coils-all check out good. Note:this may seem like a stupid question but I'm assuming because I'm looking for a fault on the left (2) cylinders , I'm checking components on the left side IE: TCI plug and coils. Anybody got any suggestions?

If you have not checked for spark, using a tool specifically designed to do that, I

would suggest checking it. If you do not have that tool, chances are, someone close to you does. Or, your local auto store will sell it. It is not expensive, and it will rule out spark, or no spark. If you have spark, then it is either the spark plug or a fuel issue.

Electrical resistance increases as air pressure goes up. That means that testing the spark in atmospheric conditions (as opposed to under compression in the cylinder) will require a much larger gap than your average spark plug gap. You can get these testers at most any auto supply store

P1070843.JPG

Dean