Hey VR family I recently bought a 1985 venture royale. The problem is I have a freshly charged battery but when I turn the ignition to the on position I get nothing no dash lights no radio no headlights. When I turn it to acc only the radio and compressor display come on .

HELP

If the radio doesn't come on in the ignition position, I would suspect the ignition switch. It can be opened and cleaned...

If the radio does, I would immediately check the voltage on EACH side of the fuses on te fuse holder... they may look good but the fuse holders are often the suspect after so many years !

Radio on acc, but not in ing position almost gaurantees a bad main (key) switch.

The brown wires at the fuses on the headlight, ignition, and signal should have 12v with main switch on. Radio comming on in acc proves power too the main switch is ok.

My beast did the exact same thing sitting in my driveway. I turned the handlebars and everything went dark. A little troubleshooting and I found the large red wire that goes from the ignition switch to the fuse panel had come off the back of the ignition switch! I was able to solder it back on and I have not had any issues since . . .

:whistling:

If it is the ignition switch (and that was my problem), there is a very good step by step writeup here on how to open and clean the switch. Dust and grime tends to accumulate inside the switch, causing the contact to fail.

two days ago I was getting ready to put some finishing touches on my 92 venture royale project bike. I had just taken the bike off the battery charger. turned the key switch. everything lit up like it should, pushed the starter button heard a click near the battery, and all the lights went out, radio has some but not all lights. I have the owners manual and there is a fuse labeled 43 in the positive lead comming from the battery.

actually there are two wire/cables comming off the positive terminal, one heavy one goes to the starter solinoid, the other one is lighter weight and apparently goes to the fuse, from there it goes to the computer. I have not yet actually chased this fuse holder down as it was dark that night, but if this fuse is blown you would see about what you discribe. I will be checking this fuse first, b4 tearing into the ignition switch.

Al :fingers-crossed-emo