IGNORED

just got my 2009 rstd and it broke

ddg1111

i picked up my brand new 2009 rstd from the dealership on Friday. 15 km into my initial ride I pulled up at a red light when the light changed all of a sudden I had no gears what so ever. Although it is in deed under warantee i would love to here from the membership as to how I should handle this situation. needless to say I am very disapointed.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just take it back and let them determine the problem. There is a good chance that it is something simple. I can understand your disappointment, I would be also, but I can assure you that it is extremely unusual. I don't think I have ever heard of that happening before.

Yea, That's a first. Probably the shifter linkage.

Yup, I was gonna suggest that too. I've at least heard of that happening before.

Maybe you can just tighten that shifter bolt and get out and ride.

On a side note:

My VStar 650 lost the gears when I was just lasily downshifting into 2nd while turning into my driveway.

Turned out that the rear diff pinion gear's teeth stripped where the drive shaft goes into it. But that's a known lubrication/wear problem with those rear diffs. That area isn't lubed with the rear diff fluid and can get dried out. Hadda put a whole new diff in it.

For those of you reading this who own a VStar 1100, you won't have that issue. Your drive shaft/pinion connections are lubed with the diff fluid entering through a hole provided for that task.

Hope you get going soon.

Rusty

Thanks to those that posted replys to my post. The Dealership called me this morning they have another brand new 2009 RSTD in the shop and are going to swap mine for the new one and all will be well.:322:

You have a good dealer. Most would try to blame you for breaking it.

the dealer here in town had at least a couple brand new RSTD's in stock too, and in Jan I saw an all in price of 12.5k out the door. I woulda been on that but timing for finanaces just wasnt there and it looks like I am gonna have my 85 for another season.

Brian

Thanks to those that posted replys to my post. The Dealership called me this morning they have another brand new 2009 RSTD in the shop and are going to swap mine for the new one and all will be well.:322:

That is good to hear. Did they give any reason as to the faliure?

Mike

Blackfoot Motorcycle of Blackffot trail in Calgary, ALBERTA is the dealership. Still what was wrong hasn't been shared wtih me when I hear I will let you all know.

Indeed it was very refreshing that they have treated me as well as they did.

Many thanks to all ! Soon I will pay the bucks and be a full fleged member of an very informative group. Thanks again !:bluesbrother:

informative group.

Yah right ..... most here do have very strong opinions :rotf:

Welcome and what are the chances.. Dealer has two older identical bikes sitting around. With 15km that bike will be back in the showroom brand new demo. Decent dealer for sure.

Brad

Edited by BradT

reason i was gevien is 0ne in ten thousand bikes come with a cluth ready to blow up. Wish i had that kind of luck with the lotto

Thats cause the dealer's setup guys try a few wheelies accross the back parking lot on them before turning the new bikes over to sales.

:rotf:

reason i was gevien is 0ne in ten thousand bikes come with a cluth ready to blow up. Wish i had that kind of luck with the lotto

1 in 10,000? You would think we would have been hearing a lot more war stories about fast and fatal failures on new purchases with those odds.

:scratchchin:

Strange indeed.

Mike