IGNORED

Painting the trailer

Rick Haywood

Well, I guess I am done with doing all thr things I wanted to do to the bike so now it is time to start with the trailer. I have already rewired and replaced all the lights. Repacked the bearing so now it is time to slap a paint job on the thing to match my 2000 MM. Let's hope it turns out.

Well, I finally painted the trailer to match the bike. :thumbsup2:o

I still need to put all the lights back on and the luggage rack on top but the thing looks so much better than the red it was.

Nice job Rick !! pls post pics after all the goodies are installed.

GREAT looking trailer Rick! :photographing: :thumbsup2: ,,,,,,,,, IS IT TIME TO GO NOW????? :banana:

Bryan

(Now what to pack????? Duct tape, wire ties, ignition switch, coupons from the Dollar store for parts. LOL) :whistling:

I have the igniton switch.......................DO NOT I repeat DO NOT forget the coupons...:confused24:

25 More days :thumbsup2:

Sherwin Williams Enamel, didn't clear coat it. I figured no more than I pull it that paint would work great. With hardener, reducer and a quart of paint it cost me $53.00

You do not need a clear coat over an enamel paint. What I would recommend though is a nice coat of wax/car polish to help protect the finish from wear and tear from the road (road grime, oil, dirt, etc), weather elements and especially the sun.

[For what it is worth my family owned/operated a body shop for a few years. I primarily did paint and body work, so I have played this game a few times.]

Looks great!

You do not need a clear coat over an enamel paint. What I would recommend though is a nice coat of wax/car polish to help protect the finish from wear and tear from the road (road grime, oil, dirt, etc), weather elements and especially the sun.

[For what it is worth my family owned/operated a body shop for a few years. I primarily did paint and body work, so I have played this game a few times.]

Looks great!

How long do I need to wait before I can put good wax on it? It was painted Friday?

How long do I need to wait before I can put good wax on it? It was painted Friday?

If you baked it (150-200 degrees for ~45 minutes) you could wax it (applied by hand) within 24 hours. I assume that was not an option for you so I personally would wait at least 1 week or maybe even two (after the paint is no longer 'tacky', which it shouldn't be after 1-2 days). Again, definitely applied by hand this first time. Also, don't use a power washer on it for 4 to 6 weeks.

Hope that helps.

How did you prep the surface?

Really nice job. Would look awesome with a chrome tubular luggage rack on top to go with your bag rails and chrome!! good job

Well as luck would have it the thing does have a tubular luggage rack. The trailer was just painted Friday so am waiting a few days to put it back on. I also have to put on the cooler rack, side marker lights and the stained oak bumper for the back. I will post pictures when all finished.

Well as luck would have it the thing does have a tubular luggage rack. The trailer was just painted Friday so am waiting a few days to put it back on. I also have to put on the cooler rack, side marker lights and the stained oak bumper for the back. I will post pictures when all finished.

Wow, talk about doing a double take. Great looking trailer Rick. Almost the right color too... It's real close to the one I had stolen in Feb. I loved that trailer. Trailed like a dream on the 3000 mile round trip to Cody and back in July. BTW I don't know what type of ball you are going to use but I used the gimbled in the pic below.

ballhitch.jpg