IGNORED

How to search the forum

I see many posts here stating that the search function does not work or does not work well but if you know he best way to use it, it actually works very well and is simple to use.

I concede that the base function included with VBulletin leaves a lot to be desired. That is why I long ago installed a modification called "Google Search". It is very simple to use and returns much better results than the standard search function.

Here is the best way to search the VentureRider forum.

First of all. Make sure you are on the home page of the forum, NOT the Venturerider home page. The home page of the forum is the page that lists all the various forum areas such as Watering Hole, First Gen Tech Talk, etc. To make it simple, you want to be at http://www.venturerider.org/forum

At the top of the page are two blue menu bars. You will see the "Search" link in the lower menu bar. It is the third button from the right side.

Click on the "Search" button and a drop down menu will open. Do not enter your search terms in the top field. Look at the very bottom of the drop down menu and you will see an option for "Google Search". That is what you want to use.

Enter your search term, for example "oil", in the field just below "Google Search". Do NOT click search just yet. You have two selections to choose from just under the field where you enter your search terms. The are "web" and "www.venturerider.org". You want to click on the circle beside "www.venturerider.org". That way you are searching only the venturerider forum and not the entire Internet.

After you have entered your search term and clicked on "www.venturerider.org", then click the button that says "Google Search".

That's all there is to it and it works very well. I am adding some pictures to show exactly what you should be seeing. The first picture simply shows which search button I am referring to. The second shows what you should see when you click on the search link. The third shows what you should enter to search for, example, oil.

to lazy to do that,just kiding. i've done that the last couple of days and found some good reading. sometimes it takes awhile to find but since i'm out of work for awhile i'll research it,than when back at work i'll just bother people to keep them on their toes. i like to get people going and fumeing,it's fun.:bluesbrother:

I recently saw some shirts advertised that had a first gen venture printed on the back with a (gasp) second gen on there as well. The front had Venture something embroidered on it. Now I can't find them. Does anyone know the link that will take me back to them? Please

WOW :thumbsup2: I have not been searching this way. It actually works great. Thanks for the tutorial.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

and because I have not seen Big Tom recently I should add some icecream, I assume he is hiding from that sn*w out east

:ice_thy-vi101212101

And Rick, I think the big boss can post it where ever he feels like posting it....IMHO. But thanks for keeping check. :bowdown:

another wet coast day.........:rain2: :rain2: :rain2: :rain2: :rain2: sick at home with 7 small children in the daycare around me as I try to rest and get better.

Confused:

Did a search from the home page of the forum using google search/venturerider.org and the search term "oil" got 58,900 hits

Then did a search from this thread using google search/venturerider.org and search term "oil" again 58,900 hits???

Whats the difference?

Now granted, you have to have the second blue menu bar at the very top of the screen before you click search button, otherwise you don't see the entire search critreria Box?:confused24: either way it should use google to search the entire venturerider.org site

Edited by CaptainJoe

Actually, you can use it from anywhere in the forum. There had been some confusion in the past where people were trying to find it on the actual home page of the site. Though there are two menu bars there also, the Google search does not exist on the home page.

As for why you got the different number, I really don't know but I'm thinking that by the time you get through 50,000.....you really won't care. :)

It's on the venturerider homepage now...:confused24: although it only has three search areas. Every other place I have looked at has five including: "unanswered threads and search calander"?

Something must have changed... most likely the venturerider homepage is coded differently than the rest?

[/color][/size][/color][/size]Searcha> vbmenu_register("navbar_search"); script>td>

homepage

Searcha> vbmenu_register("navbar_search"); script>td>

[/color][/size][/color][/size]

Edited by CaptainJoe

It's on the venturerider homepage now...:confused24: although it only has three search areas. Every other place I have looked at has five including: "unanswered threads and search calander"?

Something must have changed... most likely the venturerider homepage is coded differently than the rest?

[/color][/size][/color][/size]Searcha> vbmenu_register("navbar_search"); script>td>

homepage

Searcha> vbmenu_register("navbar_search"); script>td>

[/color][/size][/color][/size]

Yes, I've worked on it and trying to make it more consistent. I can't get the unanswered threads and etc. to work on the home page though.