IGNORED

Any lessons learned on riding gear purchases?

tz89

I don't mind the cost of great touring riding gear especially if I can avoid of any the mistakes that sent others back to buy something different. Any lessons you learned AFTER you bought gear for riding cool and wet winters (I'm in Oregon) or hot dry summers (like eastern Oregon) that you wish you had known, or purchases you wish you had made first? :doh:

Thanks

Tom

yes

i bought electric heated gear for cold riding....i tried the layering, thermal underwear, silk liner, all of that....i bought this and that highest rated gloves, dry liners, silk liners, gortex this, insulated that......and i could never go more than an hour before cold crept in.........aside from feeling like the sta-puft marshmallow man............i'm not talking about riding down to get a beer,......i'm talking about really riding...hours on the bike ......so.......i have heated glove liners, jacket liner and pant liner.....and any type of neck warmer........

I can't remember seeing Frogg Toggs with full length zippers. I had a set that had short zippers and they were too hard to get into. I'm looking at Tourmaster Sentinel Motorofficer gear ($58 for the pants from leatherup). I do need something to carry in my bags as well as something more deliberate for longer tours.

I decided on Olympia Motorsports for the main gear.

Olympia Airglide 3 Jacket and Pants .... Will cope well for 3 Seasons

Olympia Phantom Suit .... for when it turns cold.

Currently have the Jacket, and it's close to perfect. Pants when I find a pair at a price I like, and the suit can wait until next Fall.

Killimanjaro 5.0 and a Scorpion Strike jackets for cold, down to 15 degrees, and wet weather. The Killimanjaro is better for water proof. Both jackets serve well up into the mid 70's.

I use a FirstGear mesh for the hot stuff.

I carry the Frogg Toggs year round for heavy rains and use them for those damp windy day as wind breakers. Breath great and leave me bone dry in the worst of it. The newer ones do have longer zippers than the older ones.

I wear the Clover Hydro pants in the cool to colder months for warmth and dryness.

No regrets with any of them. Got good advice here from members that wear them and read reviews at WebBikeWorld and MotorCycleGear about product quailty, durability and sizing before buying the product. Never had to exchange or return a product yet.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I have come to the conclusion that i hate wearing leather chaps as they are hot and dont really protect you in hip and butt where youre going to slide on asphalt anyway.

The chaps do help on the cool days but overall I would rather wear the Diamond Gussett Defender Jeans most of the time. (And yes, they have protected me from roadrash when I slid on pavement)

They are much cooler than chaps and offer much better protection in the event of a slide as they are lined with Kevlar in the hip, knees, and butt, and the price is probably a tad less than chaps.

http://www.gussetclothing.com/

Brian

• 3 months later...

FieldSheer ATG, and Aqua Tour 2 for the Winter Months. TourMaster Flex for the spring, summer, and fall months.

For Winter, FirstGear Overpants, and during the wet, some boot covers. The OPs and the FieldSheers dry fast after a good shake under cover, so I don't really wear any extra rain gear--FieldSheer ATG that you can typically only buy in Dealer shops, that quilted liner has never let me down, the new one in the AT2... isn't so great tho.

I don't wear overpants, or even chaps during the summer, the Lady gets me all hot and bothered enough when traffic in town goes to s***

I am looking into some mesh overpants with armor soon, after I'm done working on the Lady. :) (Looking at TourMaster, JoeRocket, FieldSheer, and FirstGear OPs)

I don't return items tbh. I'd of loved to of switch my Vega Summit 3 flipup for the one without the BlueTooth, but I said scrack it. The BT in that thing sucks, keep it under 45, or you'll never hear the person.

But yea, only reason I don't send stuff back, never know it might fit a passenger, hahaha.

Depends on what riding you are wanting to do. Running around the area on the weekends or traveling across the country. How many miles do you do per year?

Three lessons I learned:

1) Don't go cheap (although closeout pricing on good gear is OK).

2) Make sure it fits properly.

3) Buy from a vendor with a reputation for service. My favorite is http://www.motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com).

RR

Depends on what riding you are wanting to do. Running around the area on the weekends or traveling across the country. How many miles do you do per year?

Three lessons I learned:

1) Don't go cheap (although closeout pricing on good gear is OK).

2) Make sure it fits properly.

3) Buy from a vendor with a reputation for service. My favorite is www.motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com).

RR

I could not agree more!

I agree with the heated jacket. It's warmer and much more comfortable than layering t-shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets. I just replace the liner in my textile Fieldshear or Tourmaster jacket with the heated liner and am good to go. The Gerbings jacket liner doesn't add much more bulk that the regular jacket liner.

I tried multiple sets of Frogg Toggs and they just didn't hold up for me. I now have a Tourmaster rainsuit.

I don't care for leather chaps. So I bought a pair of Colorado Chaps http://www.coloradochaps.com/ . They are custom made to fit you. Very warm and easy to put on and the tailor provides great service.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis

I gave up on chaps a long time ago...they just dont cut it for me.

Lots of suggestions for high-tech, expensive gear, but I have something low-tech, that works VERY well in the colder riding seasons.

During the fall and early spring I wear flannel lined jeans. In the winter, I wear thinsulate lined jeans.

You can always bring along rainsuit over-pants in case the weather is a bit on the wet side.

You can buy these jeans online, I prefer SportsmansGuide. They arent that expensive, they do double duty for work, and after a 5 or 10 years when you wear them out, just toss them in the round bin out back.

I have 4 pairs of the thinsulate jeans, and 6 pairs of the flannel jeans. You can even get them in black if you look around.

These jeans dont look like riding gear, and thats a plus if your riding to the movies, or dinner, say, on a cool evening ride that will turn cold by the time you ride home.

Try a pair or 2 and see for yourself.

Yes, I've been using flannel lined Carhardts this winter (tho not for rain). I'm looking at the Aerostitch products now, and may buy when I'm in MN next month. Definitely not going cheap then!!

Lots of suggestions for high-tech, expensive gear, but I have something low-tech, that works VERY well in the colder riding seasons.

During the fall and early spring I wear flannel lined jeans. In the winter, I wear thinsulate lined jeans.

You can always bring along rainsuit over-pants in case the weather is a bit on the wet side.

You can buy these jeans online, I prefer SportsmansGuide. They arent that expensive, they do double duty for work, and after a 5 or 10 years when you wear them out, just toss them in the round bin out back.

I have 4 pairs of the thinsulate jeans, and 6 pairs of the flannel jeans. You can even get them in black if you look around.

These jeans dont look like riding gear, and thats a plus if your riding to the movies, or dinner, say, on a cool evening ride that will turn cold by the time you ride home.

I just knew you wore the APPLE BOTTOM jeans:stirthepot::rotf:

Not sure why we got back to winter gear in May,,

but, ski pants instead of chaps.

Easier to put get on/off, lighter weight, bundles smaller for storage.

Some come with some fabric inside the ankles.

A fair pair is $60-$80.

More 60 year old men die of heart attacks putting on chaps than you think.

Guest tx2sturgis
Not sure why we got back to winter gear in May,,

but, ski pants instead of chaps.

Easier to put get on/off, lighter weight, bundles smaller for storage.

Some come with some fabric inside the ankles.

A fair pair is $60-$80.

More 60 year old men die of heart attacks putting on chaps than you think.

You can still see snow in the Rockies in May. Riders takin a tour over them this time of year need to pack some winter gear. Might not need it, but you never know.

And it's only about 16 weekends till the weather in most states will start to cool down at nite.

And yeah I feel your pain puttin on the darn things. But the young ladies in Sturgis sure look good wearing them with a bikini!

• 4 weeks later...

Find gear that fit you well and is comfortable. I wear "tall" sizes which limits my choices but have found FirstGear makes both well made & the best fitting gear for me. I also have a few pieces of Scorpion gear.

Buy the best gear you can afford! I'd rather save up for great gear rather than suffer through owning cheaply made stuff. I also watch the "closeouts" for things I have my eye on. I just got a GREAT deal from MotorcycleGear.com on FirstGears Rainier jacket for $232 shipped . . . normally a $500-$600 jacket.

Find and read multiple review on gear that interest you. WebBikeWorld.com has great "real world" reviews . . . MotorcycleGear.com also features tons of photos of the gear they sell.

Make sure you have the right gear for the conditions and weather. I have multiple jackets, pants, gloves based on the time of year and weather. I also have touring jackets with layers and liners that I can ride with in changing conditions throughout a riding day.

*** Buy Properly Fitting Comfortable Gear *** Buy the BEST gear you can afford *** Buy the right gear for the weather and conditions ***

favorite cold / rain suit is actually a boating 100mph suit, wrist and neck seal, legs have a strap that velcro's them to your boots, bibs for double coverge. Gortex is awesome stuff and I have been in some good rains in it, kept me dry.

(Quote) I agree with the heated jacket. It's warmer and much more comfortable than layering t-shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets.

I cant agree more since Dennis gave me his old heated jacket. I still wear it and realize now that I could never ride in the cold again with out one. (Again..many thanks Dennis!)

I tried multiple sets of Frogg Toggs and they just didn't hold up for me.

I now have a Tourmaster rainsuit.

I too tries the Frog Toggs and they didnt work for me either. I now have a Tourmaster rain suit also, but mine is getting small for some reason......duh..

I don't care for leather chaps. Dennis

I gave up chaps a long time ago. They are a royal PIT-butt to get on and off, when your a fat boy like me..

Eck

• 4 months later...

Definitely don't buy the cheap made in Pakistan stuff that will burst on impact!

I have seen it first hand. A friend of mine went down a few years back and the jacket and gloves he bought were cheap no namers. Upon impact the palm of the gloves were shredded and he burst the seams on the jacket so the leather didn't protect him.

I personally swear by Icon and Alpinestars for good gear. They make mostly sport bike gear but if you get some of the more generic looking stuff it crosses over just fine.

I bought a helmet by Icon as well as a jacket and gloves from Chaotic Motorsports http://www.discount-motorcycle-parts.net/ and have been happy with that gear. Since I am here in Houston cold is not an issue but heat is so I go perforated with most everything otherwise its never going to get worn.

http://www.discount-motorcycle-parts.net/images/icon_overlordprime_jacket5.jpg

http://www.discount-motorcycle-parts.net/images/icon_perforated_gloves.jpg

http://www.discount-motorcycle-parts.net/images/icon_airframe_rubatone_helmet.jpg

I have had the Olympia Airglide gear for years and even personaly crash tested it and I think for the price you can't get better gear.My wife also uses the Olympia Airglide pants and loves them.The only damage my jacket sustained was when the paramedics cut the jacket off me.

I also really like the Firstgear Killimanjaro Jacket but it is very heavy,but it is well built and should last a long time.With a Gerbings heated liner under it it is good even in winter cold.I still Have the Firstgear Leather Scout jacket I bought nearly 20 years ago. Good equiptment will last you a long time.My Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket(summer only) is over ten years old and holding up well.

Best Jacket I've ever owned. I ride all winter (unless snow) this jacket is great down to 30*f if its under 30*f for and extended period of the day then i pull out my heated liner and put it on LOW and I'm good for the day of riding

This jacket is a Four season jacket

http://www.extremesupply.com/product/TMHFLX2JKT.html

Flannel lined jeans love them

I'm still doing Chaps but thinking of converting to some other kind of riding pants.

Any one has any thoughts on this

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with tx2sturgis regarding sportsman guide. They have a decent selection and the prices are generously low. I have read that FROGG TOGGS are not for everyone. Recently, I rode from Tampa to Savannah, and it rained from the FL/GA border to my destination. I use FROGG TOGGS over my gear as well as Under just to keep any rain from soaking all I wear. I find them to be helpful, easy to store. Both top and bottoms are nice when you are riding through back roads and is 40+ miles with nothing but a soggy road to travel. I wear an alpinestars ultra yellow jacket for 3 seasons and S & S hi viz mesh for summer. I also wear olympia airglide overpants with rain liner. they are fabulous in most weather conditions.

In the end, the best you can afford. Checking clearances from reputable places, Craigslist , and eBay may help. Just my 2 pesos...

Edited by Barrycuda
Added note

• 3 months later...

Dont rib me to much, but with my budget it was all I could afford. But I found GREAT deals at leatherup.com

I got buffalo leather coat (with armer) pants over both zippered and straight, vest, boots, gloves, for around 400 +/-

So far everything holding up well, their customer service is good.

I live on Whidbey Island Washington So tell me about the rain. Here they comment on well your prune looks not your tan.

Well one good thing about here If you don't like the weather wait 20 mins