IGNORED

Any lessons learned on riding gear purchases?

tz89

What do y'all recommend for winter gloves? Mike rides an hr back and forth to work every day and heated gloves just aren't in the budget this yr. He prefers long gauntlet gloves on the bike but hasn't found any that keep his hands warm all the way to work or home.

I've been using these gloves

http://www.shopmarshalldealers.com/Marshall-Distributing-Inc-ARCTIC-SNOW-GLOVE-detail.htm?productId=10444276&ez=Gloves~q=fidaa209zz~r=fidaa209zztidaa3242zz~&pos=4#/0

They are my standard winter gloves. after about 8hrs in the saddle my hands are still warm. they are also a decent price!

I bought these gloves this fall. I ride an hour each way to work and they worked down into the mid thirties Fahrenheit. Haven't tried the waterproof claim, but for the price I am more than satisfied. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ce-schmidtreg%3B-mens-heavy-duty-cotton-canvas-waterproof-extreme-insulated-thinsulate-glove-bark-brown I wish the qauntlets were just a bit wider but they just fit over my heavy Teknic jacket sleeves. I also wear a pair of black Walls brand bibs that I had bought for a previous job i had. Easy on/off and very warm. http://www.walls.com/zero-zone-insulated-bib . Other than the jacket my cold weather gear is not motorcycle specific or stylish, but I stay warm. :322:

• 4 years later...

Renewing this old thread.

I was at an Aerostitch roadshow event in Portland today. I wanted to get measured officially so I can shop for their gear. Spendy stuff - if I buy I want it to fit. They have something I hadn't seen before - old school waxed cotton. http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/cousin-jeremy/men-s-cousin-jeremy-one-piece-suit.html

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, old thread but very useful, especially for newer riders.

My 2 cents:

If a person is serious about getting into motorcycle riding as a touring method I would suggest first plan about a 3 or 4 day trip with some serious miles by riding every day. I recommend go cheap on the gear. Hopefully you run into rain and a little cold and or heat.

Then if you really believe you want to do more of this awesome fun, spend the big money. Buy a good quiet helmet and use ear plugs. Then buy Gore Tex gloves, jacket, pants, boots. I went cheap for too long.

I quickly bought SIDI Gore Tex boots but "cheaped" on the rest thus wasting money. Plus I had cold, wet hands and bought numerous rain suits. The Frogg Toggs, as did the motorcycle specific rain suits, kept me dry but they were a real pain putting on and off. Frogg Toggs work well until you touch anything hot. With motorcycle specific rain suites if it was above 70 I thought I was in a sauna.

I spent a lot of money on non Gore Tex riding clothes plus rain suites. I had a good riding outfit for the money but it was not waterproof. Finally I realized for not a whole lot more I could buy Good stuff. I spent the $ for Gore Tex gloves, great. They may leak in the seams after all day but still better. I then bought quality Gore Tex jacket and pants outfit. Waterproof and breaths.

I kick myself for not spending the more money for the Gore Tex outfit the first year of touring 10 years ago. Yes they are expensive but last and keep a person dry with no rain suit. I like Aerostich because they measure you. I took my daughter to Duluth so she could be measured (odd size) and buy something that would fit. It is a great fit. She is happy. However, they do not have much ventilation for the Texas heat. So I ended up buying for me KLIM Badlands. It has plenty of vents, Gore Tex, and not any more than the Road Crafter by Aerostich. It fits me OK.