IGNORED

GPS tracking device

XV1100SE

Got a GPS tracking device from someone I work with that is planning on selling them. It takes a sim card (GSM) that with pay as you go will respond to text messages and reports its position (latitude/longitude), speed, battery condition, and distance. I'm planning on mounting it inside the fairing and will report on how well it works out. I've done some initial testing in the car and works as advertised. You can either call the sim's phone number or send a text message to get :

• latitude and longitude by SMS or GPRS, and check position by Google earth.
  • Auto Report position based on a time frame and repetitions you txt to it (eg: every 5 minutes for 20 repetitions)
  • Send the last location if it enters into the blind area (out of gps view)
  • Add or change Username and Password.
  • Monitoring and SOS feature. Monitoring uses a built-in microphone so you can "monitor" sounds around it (listen to conversations
  • Geofence alert to the user when it breaches the restricted area
  • send an alert of movement to the user when it begins to move.
  • send an alert of overspeed to the user when it moves exceed of the restricted speed.
  • It will send an alert of low battery to the user if the battery is low.

Specs :

46(L)x64(W)x17(H) mm and weighs 50g, GSM sensitivity

GSM sensitivity - less than -102dBm

GPS chipset

SirF III chipset

GPS sensitivity -159dBm

GPS accuracy 5m

Battery life about 48 hrs

Comes with two 3.7V DC Li-Ion Battery,700mA, wall charger, and connection for bike/car (wire in), magnetic cover

Battery charges off the bike so I'll wire it in using a relay to turn on charging using the ignition.

Although you can use something like this to track young drivers in your car for going over a set speed limit, location, or outside a set area, I'm thinking if the bike is ever stolen I can locate it either based on movement or locate it simply by sending it a txt message.

Doesn't report to a web site so there are no monthly fees, and using a pay as you go card can add $ to it as you need, say over the summer months when you are riding/touring. Easy way for your significant other to find out where you are -okay.... that can be good or bad.

Sounds interesting. Maybe a better alternative to SPOT... The pay-as-U-go feature sounds like it's the way to go. I bought used SPOT before Cody, and registered it in my name, but didn't activate because of the $150 yearly cost. It would have been nice for the one trip, but the rest of the time it would just sit.... :mo money:

Sounds interesting. Maybe a better alternative to SPOT... The pay-as-U-go feature sounds like it's the way to go. I bought used SPOT before Cody, and registered it in my name, but didn't activate because of the $150 yearly cost. It would have been nice for the one trip, but the rest of the time it would just sit.... :mo money:

spot must have changed there systems, when I looked at the spot you could buy , by the month, I believe $39.99

spot must have changed there systems, when I looked at the spot you could buy , by the month, I believe $39.99

Using GSM (cell txt messages) you don't have to pay a monthly service fee. Put in a pay-as-you-go SIM card active for voice and text and top it up when you need to. If you get a card that doesn't expire... low cost.

Didn't see or hear anything like that offered on their website last summer, or when I talked to an agent on the phone... I probably would have opted for that had I known about it...

This unit is not designed to be any kind of competitor to Spot.

To start with, it needs a data signal to work, which rules out calling for help in the very places you may need help the most.

Spot is a satellite tracking device which pretty much will work everywhere. It costs $100 for the basic service, and another $50 for the tracking feature which gives 10 minute position updates. I think it is a bit expensive, but it is required now in many LD Rallies, and it is required by Mrs Twigg in all of them :D

Other than the tacking you can send out a simple "Okay" message, or call nominated contacts for help. You can also summon emergency assistance via an "SOS".

The next available competitor is a system by Delorme, that costs at least twice as much.

This unit is not designed to be any kind of competitor to Spot.

To start with, it needs a data signal to work, which rules out calling for help in the very places you may need help the most.

Spot is a satellite tracking device which pretty much will work everywhere. It costs $100 for the basic service, and another $50 for the tracking feature which gives 10 minute position updates. I think it is a bit expensive, but it is required now in many LD Rallies, and it is required by Mrs Twigg in all of them :D

Other than the tacking you can send out a simple "Okay" message, or call nominated contacts for help. You can also summon emergency assistance via an "SOS".

The next available competitor is a system by Delorme, that costs at least twice as much.

Then why would do we need this thing???

Then why would do we need this thing???

Well for those who want this type of device, they are very good at what they do.

They do keep logs, they do locate missing equipment, they are very good for threatening teen drivers with :)

They have a bunch of uses. They are simply a different device to Spot.