IGNORED

GUNS

kenw

I'm not very gun savvy, and was wondering if there is a handgun and rifle other than a 22 that can use the same ammo. I'd like to get something before the right is taken away!

Thanks,

Kenw

There is the Rossi Model 92....45/357 cal.

Timber Wolf Pump......38/357 cal.

Marlin Camp....9m and 45 cal

Just to name a few.

A lot depends on what you intend to use the rifle for and what you intend to use the handgun for.

More info will help us help you spend your money wisely.:mo money:

In addition to those listed above there are some high power handguns that will take most of the popular rifle rounds, I have a rifle in 7mm-08 and also a handgun that uses that same 7mm-08.

other popular calibers are

30-06

30-30

35 whelen

and more

I think Ruger made a Blackhawk that chambered 30 carbine, to combo with the MI military 30 carbine. There are a few lever action rifles that are chambered for 44 mag to combo with a lot of 44 mag side arms. Probably 357 combos out there too.....

The Marlin lever action rifle in .44mag is a decent short range deer rifle. However the same cartridge in a handgun packs a real whallop and I find it uncomfortable to shoot.

A Marlin 1894c in .38/.357 is a marginal hunting rifle but in a handgun is much more comfortable and economical to shoot. One should shoot it enough to be comfortable with whatever you choose. .38/.357 shoots either .357 magnums or .38 specials.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.asp

Here's a link to a discussion of the .38/.357 loads.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-558787.html

Rossi (Brazil, and very high quality) also makes a line of lever action rifles (and pistols) that share the same caliber.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=8

And, there's the Winchester M1892. very nice, but have become very pricey.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=022C&mid=534177

There are many choices of rifles/shotguns/pistols commonly sharing the same caliber ranging from .22LR all the way up to rifle rounds like 223. Probably the most common or practical pistol/rifle rounds would be 9mm and/or 357 mag which will also use the 38 special. Most economical round beside the 22LR would be the 9mm. I have a semi auto pistol and carbine that are both 9mm which work very nice. You could due the same thing in 45acp and others. Now the question could be, which pistol/carbine using 9mm ammo can use the same magazines? Which caliber you should pick would mainly be based on the application. If your purpose is hunting small game up to 100 yards the smaller calibers would be fine but if you are wanting large game hunting at greater distance then you need the big caliber stuff. If you are mainly interested in home defense then 9mm on up would be fine or maybe a basic 12 or 20 gauge shotgun would serve the purpose. :2cents:

The other question would be how much :mo money: due you want to spend.

oops !:rotf:

You went and did it didn't you..:doh::rotf::rotf:

Personally I have three .357s magnum revolvers and wouldn't trade them for anything. Put tame .38 loads in them and its like shooting a 22. When you need the power there's no round like a 357 magnum IMO. I have a Marlin 30-30 and will be trading it for a Marlin 1894c (357/38) shortly. The ballistics of the .357 coming out of 16 inch barrel are quite impressive. not quite 30-30 but almost. The ammo is a lot cheaper. So that way you can have both an effective rifle and hand gun using the same ammo..

You went and did it didn't you..:doh::rotf::rotf:

Personally I have three .357s magnum revolvers and wouldn't trade them for anything. Put tame .38 loads in them and its like shooting a 22. When you need the power there's no round like a 357 magnum IMO. I have a Marlin 30-30 and will be trading it for a Marlin 1894c (357/38) shortly. The ballistics of the .357 coming out of 16 inch barrel are quite impressive. not quite 30-30 but almost. The ammo is a lot cheaper. So that way you can have both an effective rifle and hand gun using the same ammo..

Yep, I have a couple .357 mags also. But my favorite is my .410 mag S&W. Rounds aren't cheap but she packs a litter more power than the .357s. I am in the market for a S500 S&W but can't get the boss to agree on the cost. Maybe I'll trade my Harley for one. I do quite a bit of shooting out back of my place but mostly 22s so I wont put the neighbors in panic mode. Fired a few round through my 7mm Rem Mag the other weekend and the phone didn't stop ringing for about an hour. I need to move further out into the boonies.

Dang it anyhow.

Posting up threads like this.

This is just nuts.

We should not be allowed to talk about such things here.

Aren't there rules about posting stuff about another fun expensive hobby (guns) in a forum that is for a different expensive hobby (bikes)?

Now I have to go and visit the gun store.....again......:mo money:

Dang it anyhow.

Posting up threads like this.

This is just nuts.

We should not be allowed to talk about such things here.

Aren't there rules about posting stuff about another fun expensive hobby (guns) in a forum that is for a different expensive hobby (bikes)?

Now I have to go and visit the gun store.....again......:mo money:

I agree......I have tried to stay away from this thread and the one about remote control airplanes and helicopters... I can't afford to pay attention much less get any new toys....

Don't forget the 45/70. You can get a BFR revolver in 45/70 and several rifles in 45/70. I have a freind that has the BFR and it actually kicks less than my Ruger 44 mag, cause it is so big and heavy. I have the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45/70 lever action. Love it for hogs. One of the originals with 18" ported barrel. Can handle pretty much anything I want to hunt in the lower 48. I also have a Marlin 1894 44 mag lever action.

Yep, I have a couple .357 mags also. But my favorite is my .410 mag S&W. Rounds aren't cheap but she packs a litter more power than the .357s. I am in the market for a S500 S&W but can't get the boss to agree on the cost. Maybe I'll trade my Harley for one. I do quite a bit of shooting out back of my place but mostly 22s so I wont put the neighbors in panic mode. Fired a few round through my 7mm Rem Mag the other weekend and the phone didn't stop ringing for about an hour. I need to move further out into the boonies.

I have a Ruger Redhawk in .41mag. I almost posted about the matching caliber Marlin lever rifle in .41mag, but its not current production and I don't think many were made when it was in production.

for those just thinking along these lines, the pistols in large rifle calibers that Flyinfool was refering to are probably Thompson Center Contender single shot pistols. They are good for hunting and specialized silhouette shooting at long range. One of the TC single shots is an excellant training/plinking target pistol in .22rimfire at a shooting range.

for those just thinking along these lines, the pistols in large rifle calibers that Flyinfool was refering to are probably Thompson Center Contender single shot pistols. They are good for hunting and specialized silhouette shooting at long range. One of the TC single shots is an excellant training/plinking target pistol in .22rimfire at a shooting range.

The Thompson Contender is one of the more popular. I have the Magnum Research Lone Eagle, and the other one that was popular was the Remington XP-100. All 3 come chambered for and can handle, big rifle cartridges.

I agree......I have tried to stay away from this thread and the one about remote control airplanes and helicopters... I can't afford to pay attention much less get any new toys....

Sure, bring up another one of my fun expensive hobbies.

Now I have to run to the hobby shop on my way to the gun store..........:mo money:

I cant afford them either, but that never stopped me.........:scared::mo money: