IGNORED

Tail of the Dragon trip

rickardracing

I have never been there. I am planning on maybe a mid to late June weekend trip down. Leave early Friday morning, ride the Tail a few times on Saturday and some of the surrounding scenic roads. Then head back to Michigan early Sunday morning. Any interest in a group thing? If so, I could look for some rooms to book. Let me know your thoughts.

Randy

Rick you may have your heart set on the Dragon but dont get your hopes to high. Read up on it at some fourms. What I mean is the Dragon while it is a "go to" spot is really a pretty technical piece of road. I rode it last year from north to south and enjoyed it. But I'll tell you this, I can hardly tell you anything about the route. I was so busy minding my P's N Q's so I didnt overshoot a corner, get whacked by an on comming vehicle or run over from behind by som fool on a crotch rocket trying to beat some time. I am not saying dont go, just dont think this is the only place you need to ride. The Cherola Skyway is close by its beatiful and not near as crowded lost of turn outs. The Blue Ridge Parkway and lots of side roads. Have you checked out http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html http://grouprider.com/home.php http://www.travelingbikers.com/maps.html http://byways.org/ http://www.openroadjourney.com/

If you have never been I think most of us have heard about want to go. Be careful and alert, take your time. Dont limit yourself there are lots of roads around there to occupy your time. I think you could spend a week in that area and not ride the same roads. Look for a PM from me. :080402gudl_prv:

Tail of the Dragon is a neat ride. It is very motorcycle oriented and has a good stopover near the top on the North Carolina side with a restaurant, campground and cabins. If you stay within the speed limit, and on the weekend there may be LEO everywhere, it will be a slow ride as the limit is 30 mph.

It is a better ride during the week as on a nice weekend it is like getting in a motorcycle train. You may also have to deal with some crotch rockets or even cruisers that try to ride beyond their capability.

There are great roads to ride all over this area with many being as good as the Dragon. Some have even more and tighter curves with 55 mph speed limits.

RandyA

Randy, while it is true the Dragon is tight and technical, it is a destination and worth doing, but do check out other routes in the area. Cherohala Skyway is more relaxing, you can enjoy the scenery a bit more, but do the Dragon. Beware of traffic, stay away from the center line, and I think doing it earlier is better, beat some of the traffic. Be sure to stop at Deals Gap and see the tree of shame, and don't contribute to it! :crackup: My son and I did the Dragon in a car a couple years ago and had a blast, and enjoyed having lunch at the gap. Watching traffic come and go is a fun. Get a souvenir while there! Enjoy. There are so many good roads in the area, get a good map, google the net for other routes and have fun.

Hmmm........ Our trike group will be riding the Dragon about that time. We already have 82 registered, about 42 trikes. Hotels may fill fast in that area.

I was planning on finding something about 50 miles away or so. No need to stay right there. I figure, get to the motel Friday late faternoon. Ride the surrounding areas, Get up early Saturday morning, ride the dragon then maybe some of the other sites, start to head back later that evening and just pull off for the night. Ride the rest of the way home Sunday. Not spending the entire time at the Dragon. Just want to ride it once. Plan on seeing the other sites that are available.

Tail of the Dragon is a neat ride. It is very motorcycle oriented and has a good stopover near the top on the North Carolina side with a restaurant, campground and cabins. If you stay within the speed limit, and on the weekend there may be LEO everywhere, it will be a slow ride as the limit is 30 mph.

It is a better ride during the week as on a nice weekend it is like getting in a motorcycle train. You may also have to deal with some crotch rockets or even cruisers that try to ride beyond their capability.

There are great roads to ride all over this area with many being as good as the Dragon. Some have even more and tighter curves with 55 mph speed limits.

RandyA

Speed through the Dragon is not a concern. I would not dream of trying to run a touring bike as fast as I can through there. Someone wants around me, they can pass. I am good with 30 mph or less.

The Dragon is a fun ride and it's worth riding, the Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful enjoyable ride. Daughter and I rode the Dragon from North to South then rode the Skyway west to Tellio Plains. Then took 39 to Athens and spent the night at a hotel at 30 and I-75. Rode straight back to Flint from there. Very doable three day trip but we did it during the week without all the weekend madness.

If you're coming from the north, then Marysville TN has a lot of rooms.

Depending on how your schedule I may be able to meet you at Deals Gap. btw. The lunch crowd at Deals Gap can be big and very slow on weekends. Its a show unto itself, but don't plan on a quick bite to eat there.

In my opinion, doing a few laps on the Dragon is a must do for every biker. It definitely is as others have said, very technical and can get crowed during summer weekends. As a passenger, my wife thought it was rather boring though.

A small group of us rented a very nice house\cabin just outside of Robbinsonville NC for 3 nights last May as part of a 5 day, 1730 mile trip. We spent one day doing the Dragon Cherohala, and the rest of the time exploring many other great rides. There are so many outstanding routes and interesting places that are at least as good and in many cases better than the Dragon in that area. If you focus exclusively on the Dragon, you will miss out on so much more that the area has to offer.

A few must dos in the area:

- Bridal Veil Falls

- Cherohala Skyway

- Fontana Damn

- All or part of http://www.moonshiner28.com/

The wife has a blog where she writes about many of her adventures from the back seat.. Here are a links to her notes for some of the days of our last trip out that way...

http://backseatview.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/060711-nc-road-trip-day-2/

http://backseatview.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/060911-nc-road-trip-day-3/

http://backseatview.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/062611-nc-road-trip-day-4/

http://backseatview.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/062711-nc-road-trip-day-5/

http://backseatview.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/062811-nc-road-trip-behind-the-scenes/

The Discovery Channel show "Hell Roads" had as one of the stories a couple of weeks ago, a piece of the Tail of the Dragon". I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but my son did on a sport bike. He said you absolutely have to be on your "A" game and know with certainty both your & your bikes limitations.

Still, I'd like to make the run all the same...preferably on an off day for tourists! (my concentration needs all the help it can get-LOL!)

The Discovery Channel show "Hell Roads" had as one of the stories a couple of weeks ago, a piece of the Tail of the Dragon". I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but my son did on a sport bike. He said you absolutely have to be on your "A" game and know with certainty both your & your bikes limitations.

Still, I'd like to make the run all the same...preferably on an off day for tourists! (my concentration needs all the help it can get-LOL!)

Here is the video. Not very good publicity and a little over dramatic in my opinion.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I read something just the other day that NC has passed a law to keep the semi's off from thier end. Now if TN would do the same. Soot even box vans got no bussiness on there unless delivering goods to the restruant or something like that.

As far as dramatized, yea it is IMOP. But thats thier job otherwise nobody would watch it or Ice Road truckers or the like.

Edited by djh3
fixed which state had what law.

I dont know if your video links are the ones or not, but last year before I went someone sent me links to some about the cops up there. The video took a bike mounted camera and made the trip down the Dragon. There was something like 25 cops in the 11 miles.

I know when I went in Sep we saw better than a half dozen. Only 2 of those were NC HP. This thread has got me to thinking about my trip this year and doing a little planning. :think: Where to this year? WE have to kind of do it on a point A to point B thing so cant go to far out of the way, so I'm looking at options. Nothing from Rick who started this. Hmm wonder if he scared off? :confused24:

Rick, if you are going to ride I-75 from Michigan, to Knoxville. Take 129 to Maryville, then 321 to Townsend. Stay there,and ride the Foothills Pkwy to the Dragon, about 30 miles. Do the Dragon, then back to Townsend. A side trip just down the road is Great Smokey Mountain National park. Great roads to ride there, and a beautiful area. Then ride back to I-75 up to Michigan.:080402gudl_prv:

Rick:

Be sure to take time to see the Fontana Dam if you ride The Dragon. It is on Hwy 28 I believe. That highway is right there at Deals Gap. Fontana Dam is the second tallest Dam in the United States. If you saw the movie,"The Fugitive" then you will recognize that dam as the one Harrison Ford jumped off of.

I have ridden The Dragon now 4 times. I personally have never had any trouble. I did have a group of crotch rockets pass my on my first trip and about 5 curves later they were picking one of them and their bike up out of a ditch. Luckily no one was hurt.

There are several good rides in the area, just like everyone else has said. You can go up to Townsend TN and just out of Townsend you will see the Foothills Parkway. The Foothills Parkway will take you right to The Dragon. It comes out right in front of the beautiful lake that you will see on The Dragon. Both the Foothills Parkway and The Dragon are beautiful rides. And there is a great pull off to take pictures of the lake. I have ridden the Cherahola Skyway two times and it is beautiful. Hardest thing about that ride is not stopping at every look out area to take pictures. It is 51 beautiful miles across the Skyway. Hwy 43 that leads you to the Skyway is very crooked. Once you get on the Skyway the curves can still be very tricky. They are not quite as sharp but long and drawn out.

I have not ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway yet, but I hear it is amazing!

Sincerely,

Damon Cates

Warrier, I actually "stumbled" across part of the moonshiner 28 road. My buddy and I were splitting up over by Bryson City after riding Cherola. I had planned out the trip on Microsfot Streets and Trips. That looked like a good place to split and him go to Chraltte and me to head south to Madison Ga. I just picked a road that looked like it headed pretty direct. So I have run it from Bryson City to Franklin. It is pretty cool, like you said it follows the river and some neat shops and stuff along the way.