IGNORED

Posting Wrong??

usedcyclesales

I guess maybe I'm posting in the wrong area or just not getting my point across Last week I asked if someone could measure standard handlebar width on any Venture newer than a 1999. 58 views not one response. Today I asked about how to use a regular jack on a Venture 50+ views and no response. Would like to know if I'm posting wrong don't want to pay for this site with this kind of response. Thanks

Hmmmm, that's odd! You may have been better served with that particular question in 2nd gen tech talk, but we aren't that particular about having to be in the right forum. The information you need should be available from any Yamaha service center or perhaps in an old thread somewhere. Did you try a search using the search feature on this site? Also if I recall right, the Dennis Kirk catalog has handlebar specs...

Sorry for the lack of attn. you post has received, this is a very good and freindly site. What kind of jack do you have?? If it is a cycle jack, you get a few short 1x4`s and put the jack under your bike, you will want the wood in the front, as the rear of the jack should clear everything and rest up on the frame in the front, place the wood between the frame and the jack making sure that they do not touch the bottom of the motor, It would be best if you had a way of fastening the bike with straps to keep it from sliding off of the jack, or have someone with you,

I hope this helps you some.

Kreg

Nope, was wrong about the Dennis Kirk catalog, it only gives the specs for the aftermarket handlebars.

As far as a jack goes, as mentioned above you can use a regular motorcycle jack with some strategically placed pieces of wood. Myself I have used 2X3's as they work out pretty good. Member carbon 1 makes an excellent lift adapter that is also free standing once you jack up the bike with his adapter and swing out the legs...

I guess maybe I'm posting in the wrong area or just not getting my point across Last week I asked if someone could measure standard handlebar width on any Venture newer than a 1999. 58 views not one response. Today I asked about how to use a regular jack on a Venture 50+ views and no response. Would like to know if I'm posting wrong don't want to pay for this site with this kind of response. Thanks

Sometimes it takes a few days to get a response and sometimes it happens within minutes. Ive been here since 2004 and have had the same response from time to time. Dont take it personal. Sometimes some of us are busy and figure someone else would answer. As far as the handlebars go, all the bars from a 99 on up are the same width on an RSV. I have a set of stock bars somewhere in my garage buried under debris. Ill try and locate them tomorrow and post.

As far as a regular jack goes, im guessing you mean a standard car floor jack. If so I wouldnt even consider using one of those. To properly lift a bike as large as the RSV you need a motorcycle specific jack such as a Sears. One of our members Carbon-One, makes an excellent adapter for the RSV to use in conjunction with a motorcycle lift. Well worth the investment. If your gonna lift an RSV, do it right.

And yes, this site is well worth the 12 bucks as well. There is way too much knowledge floating around here. :smile5:

Yup! It took someone from the south that does not have their bike in storage to answer that, eh Playboy?!!?

Hey, im "Southerer" then him and and my bike is still up in the air. Too bad I have Flanders bars on it and my stock ones are buried somewhere in the garage. :smile5:

I'm not sure what your expectations are.

In your handle bar post it was answered 34 minutes after it was posted.

Your lift question was answered in 2 hours.

I think that is doing pretty good for a response time to a question that was asked while some of us are still at work. This site is all volunteer, there is no pro being paid to monitor the site and answer questions.

You will always get a lot of views that do not answer. I read most posts even if they do not apply to me, If the question is about something that I have no knowledge, I will not post, but I will still read it just so I might actually learn something. There is just so much still for me to learn.

If you own any version of a Venture, this site is the best $12 you will spend on it. I have yet to see a question asked that could not be answered by someone.

Ok got 3 measurements for you. First is ctr outside of grip to grip. 33 3/4. Second is from outside edge @ grip. Its from the seam of the turn signal housing to the seam on throttle housing. 24. Third is from the bend, inside edge to inside edge. 13 1/4.

These measurements came off my 09.

:cool10: I'm just messin with ya dude. I read it and forgot about it till I got an e-mail. I try to answer if I have some in put. I never saw the jack question but I'm glad I stopped in here to look around. I have a sears (yellow alum) jack and thats what I'll be using. I havent tried it yet. So I guess I'll be rounding up some scrap lumber.

I'm not sure what your expectations are.

In your handle bar post it was answered 34 minutes after it was posted.

Ok, I'll be the buttmunch to point it out. :backinmyday:

It was actually 12 hours and 34 minutes. :stirthepot: But that's still a pretty reasonable response time.

I view a lot of posts on my smarter than me phone. Answering is a pain since the font is like .03pt and it is hard to see if everything is spelled right. I'll check back on posts to see other answers as the day goes on and usually wait until night to answer on the laptop. ..Unless I'm harassing Big Tom then I'll use the smart phone...can't waste anytime harassing him..:rasberry:

I can tell you that you will get your answers and a lot of sarcasm. But that is OK...since 2nd Genners can't ride as much, we have to keep them entertained...:rotf:

I'd say so. The info on removing and repairing my slightly fried ignition switch and the info on adding a new fuse box and relays to avoid having the problem re-occur saved me somewhere in the range of $400 to $500 over what it would have cost me to bring it to a dealer. And that's just one of the jobs I've been helped with. And frankly, I'm all thumbs with some of these types of repairs, but people were ready and willing to help even if some answers took a little longer than others to get here. Let's see - average out the savings on the switch and relays to $450 and divide by $12 - that gives me roughly 37.5 years worth of membership fees. No way will I live that much longer (I'm already kind of old) and for sure I won't be able to ride that much longer, so I'd say I came out way ahead! And that's without taking into account the other problems where I received help and advice. Worth it? Hell yes!!!

Andy

I gotta chime my smart a$$ in too. I'm one of those that read both of your posts and didn't reply! Why you ask? Well

#1 I have a (at least) 3rd hand bike that I know has had the handlebars replaced when the PO laid it down. I cannot say for certain WHAT handlebars are on it, so I didn't want to give you incorrect info. :no-no-no:

#2 As for the jack, I just got one of my own and before that never jacked up one of these "monsters" without using a Carbon_one adapter, so I was certainly not gonna comment on something I've never done!!!:2cents:

:rant:

On a lighter note, now that I've got that off my chest,

:welcome1: to the asylum!!! :cool10:

The smart phone (dumb operator) was my hold up. My internet was a goofy there for ablut 3 days. I thought I posted once and , well my phone connection is less than desirable at the house. I'm just glad someone else is getting the flack for now. It takes the pressure of me. :cool10: