I just bought a 1999 venture has 37K on it I'm having an issue with the front end being VERY heavy in turns, I actually push the opposite way because of the weight it's like I'm fighting it . it also SEEMS to wobble slightly whe turning sharp at very slow speeds It's hard to explain. Does not seem to be anything loose on the axle etc...rubber is Avon with plenty of tread and looks fine HELP!!!!!!!!!please!!!!!!!:fingers-crossed-emo

:sign yeah that: A new tire will help, but don't expect it to be as nimble as a lighter bike... Keep the tire pressures up to max... Another thing I found with mine was the steering bearing needed to be tighten. There's a write up on how to do it without tearing everything apart in the tech section...

What does your REAR tire look like? If it has developed a somewhat square profile from wear (flat across the middle), it will cause this. Another big cause is pressure too low.

A lowering kit will absolutely cause it - in fact, one the biggest improvements to the handling of the STOCK RSV (besides good tires) is to RAISE the rear of the bike. A lowering kit just takes a bad situation and makes it worse.

If your rear brake caliper is below the swing arm, it has been lowered.

Goose

What does your REAR tire look like? If it has developed a somewhat square profile from wear (flat across the middle), it will cause this. Another big cause is pressure too low.

A lowering kit will absolutely cause it - in fact, one the biggest improvements to the handling of the STOCK RSV (besides good tires) is to RAISE the rear of the bike. A lowering kit just takes a bad situation and makes it worse.

If your rear brake caliper is below the swing arm, it has been lowered.

Goose

:sign yeah that:

I just got mine yesterday and comming from a 900 Vulcan it feels heavey to me too. But I think maybe the way I am going to go is to do the front end lowering. Sounds like from what I have read thats the hot set up. Helps the low speed handling (which I am struggling with) and not any real down side at speed. Also I looked earlier and I think mine has Dunlaps on it. Not my favorite, but hey I have spent toooooo much in the last couple days on stuff like inter comm headsets, parts for highway pegs insurance to name a few to change perfectly good tires. What kind of pressures are guys running? I killed my first set of Dunlaps on my 900 because I followed the "recomended" on the bike. 8K out of the rear and only 10-12K on the front. Dont want to do that again.

Guest Slab_Ryder

My OEM 404's got 28,000 kms (just over 17,000 miles). I get 35,000 kms (just over 21,000 miles) on my Dunlop E3's. I inflate to 40 PSI Front / 41 PSI Rear. I check my pressures every other day.

Thanks Slab. I just went out and checked whats on it. It has e 3's on it, so your recomendation of 40/41 is appreciated.

Please check your tire sidewalls - Do Not, EVER, over inflate your tires!!! (Note that the rear Dunlop E3 on this bike has a maximum pressure of 40 psi.)

Running any tire at maximum pressure, as stamped right on the sidewall, will generally produce maximum tire mileage. However, it does NOT always produce best handling.

Running any tire at higher pressure than stamped on the sidewall is ALWAYS unsafe.

Goose

When I was researching tires for my Kawasaki, Pierrlli, Shinko and I forgt the other one I contacted about pressures. The pressures they recomended ended up being usually about 4lb under whatever the max was on the tire I think. So like the Pierrli I was running on the rear the max inflation was 41 I think and thier recomended was 38. I'm going to e-mail Dunlap and see what they say.

There is a lot of weight on the front due to the fork mounted fairing. Going with a smaller tire on the front will help a bunch; dropping the forks 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch will help too. With this big bike you need to use all the skills that are taught in the classes. While you can get away with being sloppy in your technique with small bikes the Venture demands proper technique. Once you get the feel for it the bike will surprise you on how well it handles. Slow, look and press thru the corners and practice it will be fine. Rod

The difference in weight is around 300lbs, it will take time and practice to get use to the change. I wouldn't make any major changes to the bike till you have had time to get to know the bike. I went through the same process when I went from the 900 to the RSV.

Yea all things I know and have in my memory banks. lol Other side is if you cant feel comfortable on confident it hard to practice. And on that note I have went some in the back of my neighborhood and rode to get the feel. But as far as learning how it is on curves etc. Man here in Fl the closest thing we have to a curvy road is an on ramp.

• 5 weeks later...

Dont worry you will get used to it . word of advise, practice low speed skills in a empty parking lot. Once you get comfortable with your new bigger bike at slow speeds, everything else will feel mor comfortable. I moved from a 635lb vstar 1100 to this 970lb beast. Soon as I bought my 99 bought new tires and thanks to guys on this site, tightened my head bearing, and she handles like a ninja..